RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 859
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: What do you think about the episode?
Brilliant 43 37.39%
Good 52 45.22%
Average 12 10.43%
Meh 3 2.61%
I wish we had a puke smilie 5 4.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 29 2010, 07:54 PM   #16
David_Leese
Lieutenant Commander

Re: 5x09 Cold Blood (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!!

That was very good indeed. In particular, the way that I assumed Rory was safe because we'd seen his future self was a very clever twist. And for all of us who wondered what the point of them seeing themselves waving - it was the obvious "They'll be okay in the future..." and then he wasn't!

Liked the negotiations, the failed rescue attempt, and the genuine attempts at peace. I also enjoyed another pace-change part way through the episode, when the chasing was paused for a look at the crack... and the piece of debris?! Loads of questions still to be answered... excellent!

One question: the Silurian soldier shoots Rory, who starts dying, and then starts being absorbed by the light. Why didn't the Doctor and Amy drag the soldier over to the crack and have *her* erased from history - if she never existed, then Rory doesn't get shot?

Otherwise, that was excellent - the best of new Who and with a very good classic feel. For me, one of the best of this season.
David_Leese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 07:58 PM   #17
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Was going to give it good but the finale made it Excellent though how did Lea dye from a taser ?. Rory is gone from memory but his actions cannot be? otherwise well events change from previous episodes and then things don't make sense...

grr time travel
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 07:59 PM   #18
diankra
Commodore

Count Zero wrote: View Post
I must admit I'm a bit puzzled why they wear those masks. Did they do that in Classic Who, too?
The writer explains that in the DWM: the masks made the CGI multipilications used to create the army easier/cheaper/affordable.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 08:02 PM   #19
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Boo! Hiss! New worst episode of this series.
Old May 29 2010, 08:02 PM   #20
Crewman47
Commodore

DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
Quite liked it. Liked that they didn't draw out the 'who will kill Alaya' thing too much. The narration by Stephen Moore was nicely ambiguous. Rory's death was quite a shock, even though I did kind of see it coming. Also, I pretty much expected the 'shrapnel' to be a piece of the TARDIS.

Crucial arc plot point - someone contacted by the time energy cannot be forgotten if a person concentrates. The other Doctor in "Flesh and Stone" comes to mind - "remember what I said when you were eight".
Maybe it already happened as Amy didn't know about all the events that happened on Earth the past 5 years, or at least the Dalek invasion and Earth being moved.

Rory's death was a bit of a shock to me as well, do you think there's anyway for him to return, like if the Doctor finds out more about the crack and manages to avoid whatever disaster might be to come?

I liked how it was explained that the Silurians here aren't just the same ones as the first lot with just a modern prosthetic, they are actually a different race of Silurian, or Homo Reptilius.
Crewman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 08:05 PM   #21
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

do you think there's anyway for him to return
I'll be amazed if he's not alive at the end of the last episode.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 08:11 PM   #22
EJA
Fleet Captain

You know, I was quite enjoying that until they used the cheap gimmick with the Crack to retcon Rory out of existence. And Amy's a time traveller, but she still totally forgets him?

Oh, and since the Crack erases people's existence entirely, then that means that Davros and the Daleks now never existed. Oh god, it gets worse and worse....
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 08:12 PM   #23
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

Liked the episode very much. The Silurian part was all resolved reasonably quickly, I thought, but of course, the main part here is Rory's death and the Doctor pulling a piece of the Tardis out of the crack.

This has just got me even more anticipated for the finale.

Though I could see it coming, Rory's death was actually quite a shock. I had grown to like him, and I thought he had made an excellent foil for the Doctor. I wonder if he'll return somehow when all this crack business is sorted out. There does seem to be something unfinished in his relationship with Amy.

As for the Silurian plot, am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to it, in a thousand years when they've woken up? Nasreen staying behind could lead to a story in the future. Or its just wishful thinking on my part.

The Silurian narration really reminded me of the End of Time. Not sure what I have to go on that, although it could mean something, it could just be a way of telling the story.
Old May 29 2010, 08:17 PM   #24
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

EJA wrote: View Post
You know, I was quite enjoying that until they used the cheap gimmick with the Crack to retcon Rory out of existence. And Amy's a time traveller, but she still totally forgets him?
The Doctor told Amy she would forget but Rory was directly connected to her life and The Doctor won't because hes not human but a Lord of Time, explains why he could stick his hand in the crack.

The Doctor/Tardis in the season finale could cause the crack I suppose though most likely in the 12th episode due to the title of that and survive still. I guess 13th episode will be about closing it.

Also how is it a gimmick, not only does he die but then gets wiped from history a tragedy meant to play on the audience more than the characters though it will stay with the Doctor and hurt more this way.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 08:44 PM   #25
wamdue
Admiral

I assume time corrects for anything Rory did.

anyways I am not 100% convinced we wont see him again, on that note they seemed to do too much set up, for the Doctor & Amy not to visit the Silurians again in 1,000 years time.

Talking of I enjoyed the Silurian plot, and the fact that they were more individuals than previous Who aliens, who have all tended to look exactly alike.

Since we dont know what caused the cracks, we can speculate across, but it seems hard to say what has and what hasnt been sucked into the crack.

Any reason why the female of the Silurians seemed to be the warrior type? seemed odd.
Old May 29 2010, 08:50 PM   #26
captcalhoun
Admiral

i liked it. esecially after having watched The Silurians on DVD this avro. although the Doctor didn't tell the truth about what happened before - UNIT merely collapsed the caves and killed the renegade. the others went into hibernation!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 08:59 PM   #27
EJA
Fleet Captain

So it is possible for time travellers to forget things that've been erased from history after all? So have Sarah Jane, Captain Jack and co. forgotten the Dalek invasion now then?
Old May 29 2010, 09:03 PM   #28
Wereghost
Someone's dog

Quite liked it. Alittle toomuch surviving-by-dumb-luck-at-the-last-msecond for my taste, but I think that it served to blindside the audience about Rory's fate (, as did last week's talk with the Doctor about protecting Amy). Poor Rory - killed and then retconned out of time. Sound like someone doesn't like him.
Old May 29 2010, 09:11 PM   #29
StCoop
Commodore

Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
Poor Rory - killed and then retconned out of time. Sound like someone doesn't like him.
Given the "Chekhov's gun" in the shape of the Engagement Ring (the taking off of which was one of the poorest bits of writing in the series) I wouldn't bet any money on his not being back in two or three episodes time.

After all, at the end of the day the TARDIS won't be destroyed, so the Crack won't be formed.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 09:13 PM   #30
EJA
Fleet Captain

StCoop wrote: View Post
Scrawny71 wrote: View Post
Poor Rory - killed and then retconned out of time. Sound like someone doesn't like him.
Given the "Chekhov's gun" in the shape of the Engagement Ring (the taking off of which was one of the poorest bits of writing in the series) I wouldn't bet any money on his not being back in two or three episodes time.

After all, at the end of the day the TARDIS won't be destroyed, so the Crack won't be formed.
Ah, but then the Doctor won't meet Amy, and won't do all the stuff he's done so far.