Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 26 2010, 09:41 PM   #31
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Re: Charting the Novel-verse

Well, if you go there, then things would just get silly. The Future Begins mentions a planet from The Fifth Element. I don't even like that film.
Old May 26 2010, 09:55 PM   #32
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Christopher:
I may have gotten Spock's World and My Enemy, My Ally mixed up. Sorry.

Having Aliens as an in-universe work of fiction is what I meant, hence me saying "the same applies".

Also: Jem'Hadar turn invisible, are really tough and live to fight. Naussicans look more like Predators, but they don't act like them at all (at least not the way Predators are depicted in the movies).

It's probably best this "in-universe universe" can stay closed for now
Old May 26 2010, 10:01 PM   #33
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

Speaking of Aliens tie-ins, we did have a reference to "Acheron" in A Time to Sow, in the context of terraforming. For those who don't know, Acheron was the name given to planet otherwise known as "LV-426" (which was being terraformed during the events of the film) in Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Aliens as well as earlier versions of the screenplay.

I put in the reference mostly just to see if anyone would catch it....

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 10:01 PM   #34
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

This is great, Turtletrekker! Really impressive work.

Mmmmm....continuity references....
Old May 26 2010, 10:50 PM   #35
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post
Well, if you go there, then things would just get silly. The Future Begins mentions a planet from The Fifth Element. I don't even like that film.
Agreed. The cans of worms will stay on the shelf...
Old May 26 2010, 11:18 PM   #36
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Christopher;4112748

Maybe you should mention that VGR: [I wrote:

Full Circle[/I] references "Isabo's Shirt." Also, there are some typographical problems in the VGR post, with series titles (such as Spirit Walk and Dark Matters) being listed in the same way as their individual installment titles and thus being confusing to the uninitiated.
Fixed Spirit Walk and Dark Matters and made the "Isabo's Shirt" reference. Thanks.

MichaelS wrote: View Post
turtletrekker wrote:
Steve Mollmann and Michael Shuster
:gasp: You got the wrong name wrong! Now I know how Steve usually feels...
I found it mis-spelled twice and spelled correctly twice. I hope I fixed them all. sorry (Uhhhm, Mollmann put me up to it. )

Last edited by Turtletrekker; May 27 2010 at 02:37 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 11:58 PM   #37
Lonemagpie
Writer

[QUOTE=Christopher;4114033]
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
And isn't Predator a part of the same universe? Considering the Jem'Hadar are fairly blatant Predator rip-offs this is quite interesting.
Actually the Nausicaans are the ones who resemble Predators.
The Jem'Hadar invisibility cloak used in their first appearance is the same effect as in Predator, the Nausicaan makeup resembles the Predator, and the Hirogen are, to all intents and purposes, Predators - but don't look like them.

FWIW, the Feledrin in On The Spot is the same alien species used in the Dr Who audio Unregenerate (wot I also wrote) and so far nobody noticed...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 02:37 AM   #38
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Only one thought right now: TNG: Possession is a direct sequel to one of Dillard's original series novels.
Added Posession (and Diane Duane's Intellivore) to the TNG page under "Sequels to TOS books".

Next time, I'm gonna have to add a page for novel-verse references in Strange New Worlds stories. Didn't think of it in time. (Am adding "The Aliens Are Coming" with the Khan books.)
Old May 27 2010, 06:44 PM   #39
TheAlmanac
Writer

View TheAlmanac's Twitter Profile

Awesome work!

I appreciate that this thread has been made sticky, since I was a big fan of its predecessor and want to see the work continue...

I really look forward to the addition of more Strange New Worlds content. (I deliberately avoided novel-continuity references in my own story, but the events of the story itself are also easy to reference. I know a couple of SNW writers included references from their own stories when they wrote other work later.)

So, let me get this straight...Gold Key Comics and FASA get some love in more current works, but the Bantam novels don't?

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
You want worms? Planet X could bring in the entire Marvel multi-verse, which has crossed over with the DC universe.

To be fair, the X-Men crossovers make it pretty clear that Earth-616 (comicspeak for the main Marvel Universe) is separate from the universe in which Star Trek occurs.

Beyond that, I think references to present-day pop culture as fiction in TrekLit is a whole other thing, which might justify its own thread...

The History of Things That Never Were
TheAlmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 07:04 PM   #40
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I am pretty sure I am the only person out there referencing Gold Key comics, and I just do it to cause trouble. There is a slight FASA reference (very slight) in The Tears of Eridanus, though (to the only FASA sourcebook I've ever read). And I don't remember those Bantams enough to make any references!
Old May 27 2010, 07:33 PM   #41
Christopher
Writer

TheAlmanac wrote: View Post
To be fair, the X-Men crossovers make it pretty clear that Earth-616 (comicspeak for the main Marvel Universe) is separate from the universe in which Star Trek occurs.
Well, the original TOS/X-Men crossover did so. The TNG/X-Men comic didn't quite follow suit; there was a portion where one of the TNG characters referenced something from Marvel history as though it were part of Trek history.

As for SNW stories with novel-continuity ties, here's what I'm aware of:

SNWIII: TOS: "The Aliens are Coming!" by Dayton Ward: Referenced in The Eugenics Wars.
SNWVII: TNG: "Full Circle" by Scott Pearson: Draws on elements of novel continuity.
SNW09: TNG: "Terra Tonight" by Pearson: Sequel to the above.
SNW09: DS9: "Shattered Allies" by Emily P. Bloch: Draws on concepts from DS9 Relaunch, but isn't completely consistent with it.
SNW09: Speculations: "The Immortality Blues" by Marc Carlson: Built around the events of WWIII as depicted in The Lost Era: The Sundered.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2010, 12:39 AM   #42
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

I LOVE this list. This is same kind of thing I did when I wanted to build my own personal continuity to read threw when I started reading TrekLit. Mine is somewhat more limited, just due to the fact that I didn't want to include some stuff that actually does fit, and I wanted to end up with a list that I could actually work my way threw sometime relatively soon.

It's been five years already and I'm still a little ways from finished. It would help if authors would quit writing so many interesting books that fit into the novel continuity.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2010, 02:48 AM   #43
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

TheAlmanac wrote: View Post
Awesome work!
thanks.!
So, let me get this straight...Gold Key Comics and FASA get some love in more current works, but the Bantam novels don't?
And I don't remember those Bantams enough to make any references!
And I don't remember them enough to know a reference if I saw one!
Old May 28 2010, 05:02 AM   #44
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

As far as SNW goes, there's also "The Last Tree on Ferenginar: A Ferengi Fable from the Future" in volume 9, which uses the Quark/Ro relationship and other relaunch elements... but it also set during a nonexistent time after Quark and Ro visit Ferenginar but before they break up.
Old May 28 2010, 12:47 PM   #45
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Bravo, Turtletrekker!

Next time you feel like adding to this, my annotations for Losing the Peace are here:
http://wleisner.wordpress.com/about/...ing-the-peace/

I also plan to re-post my lost annotations for Out of the Cocoon in time for the tpb release.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote