Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 26 2010, 05:11 AM   #16
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: The most fascinating thing about the L&O finale

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Why do they have those rubber rooms in the first place? If the teachers can't be fired, why don't they just stay home?
They can't be fired without ironclad cause; not showing up for work would qualify.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 06:41 AM   #17
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

Timby wrote: View Post
TNT has officially passed on the series.
Then I guess this is not on the level...
Old May 26 2010, 03:04 PM   #18
23skidoo
Admiral

Look at the date on that item: April 30. I think that's even before NBC announced the cancellation! If it had been on the level, we'd have heard about it in the regular media before the finale aired.

The idea of a wrap-up movie is still alive, apparently, if there's enough demand.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Seeing as how L&O has never been about a specific set of characters, it wouldn't really have made sense for the end of the series to focus on a conclusive (let alone cataclysmic) ending for the specific group of characters that happens to be filling the stock roles at the moment. That wouldn't really have been a resolution to L&O, because there are so many other characters whose stories have already been resolved or who have just moved on to other jobs. It's not the kind of show that should have a decisive ending.
Exactly. A few odds and ends in the backstory aside, like Van Buren's cancer and the affair between Jack and Claire in the 90s, the series was the epitome of the standalone series. I'm actually not really in favor of a "true finale" TV movie, because frankly the show's strength was in the fact you could jump in at just about any point, without any need for backstory. Having the series just end, as it did - though the final scene had everyone together in a celebratory mood, which was a nice coincidence as it was intended to be Merkeson's farewell, not the show's - was perfect.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 03:57 PM   #19
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

I wonder who would have taken over for Van Buren. Eames, perhaps? (She made Captain right before she left CI)
Old May 26 2010, 05:19 PM   #20
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Kathryn Erbe was axed from Criminal Intent due to budget cuts. If she was too expensive for the much more cheaply produced Criminal Intent, I highly doubt that she would have been hired onto Vanilla.

I'm pretty sure that the new "commanding officer of the detectives" character would have been filled by some mildly known B-list actor, as have nearly all the vacancies in Law & Order's history (with the notable exceptions of Dennis Farina and Jeff Goldblum).
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 05:41 PM   #21
Christopher
Writer

Kathryn Erbe was axed from Criminal Intent due to budget cuts. If she was too expensive for the much more cheaply produced Criminal Intent, I highly doubt that she would have been hired onto Vanilla.
Isn't it the other way around? If the flagship had a higher budget, it would've been better able to afford a pricier actor.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 05:54 PM   #22
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Except that NBC's rationale for killing Law & Order was that it had become too expensive (to the point that it was trying to get TNT to fork out anywhere between a quarter and almost half -- depending on which source you believe -- of the production costs for Season 21) in light of plummeting ratings, and the budget had already been slashed in recent years (which resulted in Sam Waterston taking a significant pay cut and a lesser role in order to stay on the show). Given that Erbe's contract, after so many years, had to have been providing her rather significant compensation, I really don't think she would have been re-hired for Vanilla.
Old May 26 2010, 06:33 PM   #23
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Kathryn Erbe was axed from Criminal Intent due to budget cuts.
Was she axed, or did she choose to leave when D'onfrio left? I haven't found anything saying either way.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2010, 06:38 PM   #24
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

I always assumed she chose to leave at the same time VDO did.
Old May 26 2010, 07:07 PM   #25
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

ATimson wrote: View Post
Kathryn Erbe was axed from Criminal Intent due to budget cuts.
Was she axed, or did she choose to leave when D'onfrio left? I haven't found anything saying either way.
D'Onofrio had been looking to leave the show for quite some time (which is why the "split detectives" concept was introduced, in order to induce him to stick around a while longer). Erbe had always been non-committal regarding her future. In interviews, at least, she had never conveyed any sentiment similar to the "we're a package deal" statements frequently espoused by Mariska Hargitay and Christopher Meloni over on SVU. No official statements have been given regarding her departure (it's rather telling that of the departed cast, only D'Onofrio has said "Yeah, I wanted to leave," while the others have remained silent), but if you read between the lines, given the dropping of the "split" detectives and the focus on Nichols, the hiring of a cheap (and terrible) actress in Saffron Burrows () and an equally cheap B-lister in Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, coupled by the reports that Criminal Intent suffered yet another budget cut after last season, it's not too difficult to get the picture that the ax fell and costs were minimized.

I could be wrong, of course. The happiest answer is that Erbe decided her time was up and she wanted to bail. But when a show with such a poor financial history as Criminal Intent overhauls its entire cast, like seaQuest many moons ago (for example) ... well, you know what they say about smoke and fire.
Old May 26 2010, 11:50 PM   #26
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Strange & improbable. Still, I'd be happy to hear it, since Trial by Jury was always my favorite of the spin-offs. (Although, you can't beat Conviction for eye-candy.)