MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Your thoughts about the episode?
Fantastic! 15 16.48%
Good 49 53.85%
Average 20 21.98%
Meh 6 6.59%
Hopefully it gets swallowed by a very hungry earth. 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23 2010, 07:42 PM   #61
DAK
Admiral

Re: 5x08 The Hungry Earth (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Starkers wrote: View Post
As for future Rory and Amy...well that can't just be scenery, there must be a point to it.
In the scene that they cut and showed in the Confidential, the Doctor said that was their future in this time stream. Since a big theme this season has been all about how time can be rewritten and is not set in stone, I have a feeling that won't really be their future.

Old May 23 2010, 08:09 PM   #62
scnj
Captain

Jax wrote: View Post
Flibble wrote: View Post
And, it sounded very Scottish!
Every planet has a Scotland

As for the episode thanks to I Player I caught up and it was your standard 1st part of a 2 parter set up and overall I thought it was good enough though next week looks bloody brilliant and action packed. Amy skirt seem shorter than normal cue Daily Mail.
It was shorts, so I doubt it.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 09:17 PM   #63
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

anyway, in the final analysis, ok, bt of fluff but if nothing else I am very eager to see part 2 and also to figure out which one of the three will kill her. (My money's on Rory!)
Don't think so... the obvious choice would be the aggressive older guy. But I believe the woman will do it. They set it up with her weapons... the rifle in particular. They showed it, it will be used.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 09:57 PM   #64
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I wonder if the guy who has been infected will go mad and kill her or could be that they kill her by accident?
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 10:41 PM   #65
Starkers
Admiral

Yes but Rory is the least obvious choice. Not infected, not tooled up to the nines...

Of course it could be a double bluff!

Anyone else surprised how quickly they rigged a village wide surviellance system?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 11:37 PM   #66
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Yes but Rory is the least obvious choice. Not infected, not tooled up to the nines...

Of course it could be a double bluff!

Anyone else surprised how quickly they rigged a village wide surviellance system?
These are folks from a country that can get a flight of Spitfires converted and into space in under 20 minutes. But the writers could take better care to deal with some basics about time to do things. Given the area they covered, perhaps, but where did all the equipment come from, unless the drill site had a whack of surveillance stuff?

Hiding in the church? Sure, but the TARDIS could have been set further away so one didn't ask why the few folks weren't shuttled to safety in there. I know the Doctor is reluctant to bring strangers inside but in this instance it just seems silly that the TARDIS wasn't used.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 01:59 AM   #67
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Anyone else surprised how quickly they rigged a village wide surveillance system?
Blogger MaryAnn Johanson has drawn some interesting conclusions from that very thing. I don't know that I buy them, but there's certainly a sense that narratively things are firing on cylinders that they simply didn't in the RTD-era.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 03:10 AM   #68
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

"Homo Reptilis" is taxanomic nonsense, though that whole thing could be the genus name I guess..i.e "Homoreptilis"

Sloppy science though...
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 03:16 AM   #69
Checkmate
Commodore

Yes because, you know, they've been around long enough to be studied and classified properly. In no way was it just a random, off-the-cuff phrase used to drive home his point. It was the taxanomic name for them, bar none!

Yep.

Nailed it.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 03:21 AM   #70
Neroon
Mod of balance

Classic Fan wrote: View Post
All we needed was them to scrap that wasted scene, have the Tardis land at the drilling platform and the Doctor investigate the blue grass, and the scene in the confidential that they deleted, which looked great by the way, of Amy and the Doctor walking down the lane to the drilling platform describing it all couldve been left in.
I've just finished watching the episode, and I'm curious. What was this "deleted scene" you're referring to?
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 03:29 AM   #71
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

@ Checkmate The doctor would never make the mistake, off-the-cuff or not.

"Homo" is specific to the mammalian side of the tree. Unless they are warm blooded primates who suckle their young, they have no business being lumped into the genus Homo.

ETA - mind you, it was sloppy science in the classic series to have even called them Silurians in the first place, so I guess there is a certain internal consistency in it..
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 03:56 AM   #72
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
Classic Fan wrote: View Post
All we needed was them to scrap that wasted scene, have the Tardis land at the drilling platform and the Doctor investigate the blue grass, and the scene in the confidential that they deleted, which looked great by the way, of Amy and the Doctor walking down the lane to the drilling platform describing it all couldve been left in.
I've just finished watching the episode, and I'm curious. What was this "deleted scene" you're referring to?
Going from memory of the Confidential scene, Amy and the Doctor walk down to the road and the Doctor asks where Rory is. Amy says he is putting the engagement ring in the TARDIS and she comments on how Rory is always dawdling along. The Doctor mentions that he does like Rory as they are walking along to the drill site. Amy mentions the other Rory and Amy and the Doctor says that it is a future for this timeline. One could take it as foreshadowing something bad for Rory in the next episode.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 04:15 AM   #73
Bones
Commodore

Captain Pike wrote: View Post
"Homo Reptilis" is taxanomic nonsense, though that whole thing could be the genus name I guess..i.e "Homoreptilis"

Sloppy science though...
Written by Chris Chibnall.

The clues are there.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 04:25 AM   #74
DAK
Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
You can watch it here.
Old May 24 2010, 04:29 AM   #75
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

DAK wrote: View Post

It had just better be used for something in Part Two, otherwise that was weird and pointless!

Captain Pike wrote: View Post

Sloppy science though...
Sloppy science in Doctor Who? Surely not!

USS Bones wrote: View Post
Written by Chris Chibnall.

The clues are there.
You know, I ain't a fan of the Chibs at all, but which Doctor Who writer didn't engage in this sort of thing?

Last edited by Stevil2001; May 24 2010 at 06:15 AM.
Stevil2001 is online now   Reply With Quote