RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,651
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 587
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 23 2010, 11:50 PM   #16
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

I really liked the Sybok we got. I'm not sure I would have been able to believe Sean Connery was Spock's half brother, much less a Vulcan. I had enough trouble when he was a Scottish-accented Russian defector!
Old May 24 2010, 12:03 AM   #17
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I really liked the Sybok we got. I'm not sure I would have been able to believe Sean Connery was Spock's half brother, much less a Vulcan. I had enough trouble when he was a Scottish-accented Russian defector!
Though there is a connection between Connery and the budget. Paramount was so stupid to shoot The Final Frontier at the same time as Indiana Jones 3. And because of that Shatner couldn't get Connery, and because of that Paramount didn't trust the movie to be a success, and because of THAT they didn't give Shatner the budget he needed. Shot themselves in the foot with that.

Similar things happened with Nemesis. It's like Paramount intentionally wanted these two movies to bomb.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 12:08 AM   #18
Gojira
Commodore

As I always say I like all Star Trek movies to some degree or other and Trek V is no exception. It reminds me of some of the more cheesier episodes of the original series. There are wonderful moments of character development between Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Sybok really is a very interesting character.

Some of the humor and Uhura's fan dance are cringe worthy and the special effects are not up top par but they do have a certain charm to them.

All in all I really do like this movie flaws and all.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 01:42 AM   #19
Harvey
Admiral

As I noted in another thread, it shares a lot in common with "The Way to Eden," and is about as bad.

It does have a terrific Goldsmith score, though. Hopefully a complete release of that will emerge someday.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 02:06 AM   #20
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I will also add that this was Shatner's first film to direct. To direct a major sci-fi movie full of special effects as your first film is a big undertaking.
I know, the same can be said of Jonathan Frakes and Leonard Nimoy who were more successful, but it's all I got.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 03:10 AM   #21
Gojira
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
As I noted in another thread, it shares a lot in common with "The Way to Eden," and is about as bad.

It does have a terrific Goldsmith score, though. Hopefully a complete release of that will emerge someday.
Maybe that is why I like it so much. The Way to Eden is one of my favorite episodes!
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 03:57 AM   #22
Chrisisall
Commodore

Space Therapist wrote: View Post
As I always say I like all Star Trek movies to some degree or other and Trek V is no exception. It reminds me of some of the more cheesier episodes of the original series. There are wonderful moments of character development between Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Sybok really is a very interesting character.

Some of the humor and Uhura's fan dance are cringe worthy and the special effects are not up top par but they do have a certain charm to them.

All in all I really do like this movie flaws and all.
I am right there with you, ST! But... I miss the rock-creatures...
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 04:09 AM   #23
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

Great movie. Lots of themes and subtext. I especially enjoyed the irony of the 'planet of galactic peace', staffed by cynical, jaded representatives of the big three empires, where its denizens make homemade weapons in order to fight over rocks. In the end of the film, they enjoy the peace they were pretending at all along.

Of course, they were back at odds in VI, but a film should be judged by its own merits.
Old May 24 2010, 04:11 AM   #24
Chrisisall
Commodore

Sarcasm Detected, repeat, Sarcasm Detected!
Old May 24 2010, 04:13 AM   #25
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Anticitizen wrote: View Post
Great movie. Lots of themes and subtext. I especially enjoyed the irony of the 'planet of galactic peace', staffed by cynical, jaded representatives of the big three empires, where its denizens make homemade weapons in order to fight over rocks. In the end of the film, they enjoy the peace they were pretending at all along.

Of course, they were back at odds in VI, but a film should be judged by its own merits.
I do love the jaded Ambassadors, that they feel they were being punished for having a part in the Planet of Galactic Peace.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 04:20 AM   #26
Chrisisall
Commodore

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post

I do love the jaded Ambassadors, that they feel they were being punished for having a part in the Planet of Galactic Peace.
Was the Planet Of Galactic Peace a metaphor for the UN?
Old May 24 2010, 05:37 AM   #27
Aslan ch'Shran
Ensign

JarodRussell wrote: View Post

Similar things happened with Nemesis. It's like Paramount intentionally wanted these two movies to bomb.
Actually, Nemesis is one of my favorite Trek movies so I don't think they intentionally wanted it to bomb. I liked the action in Nemesis and I thought the movie was awesome. I think though a better choice for Picard's clone would have been that English fellow that likes to dress like Picard in real life. No idea who he is but he buys Trek memorabilia and looks eerily like Picard but younger.
Aslan ch'Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 06:35 AM   #28
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Chrisisall wrote: View Post
Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post

Was the Planet Of Galactic Peace a metaphor for the UN?
Perhaps. I saw it more as forgetful diplomacy, where half hearted efforts are made to work together, something gets halfway done, and then the governments quickly toss it from the books.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 01:51 PM   #29
RookieBatman
Commodore

I saw TFF on TV some years ago. When I did, I had already been on here for a while, so I was expecting to get most of my entertainment value from laughing at how cheesy it was. When it was over, I instead thought, "Wow, that really felt like the show." Don't get me wrong, I like some of the action-adventure movies like TWoK and TUC, but they feel like a different animal from the show. TMP and TFF have their faults, but they really do feel like true extensions of the original series, and not just popcorn movies with the same actors.

As for the special effects, the only thing I remember groaning at was Spock's rocket-boots/green-screen thing. I don't recall anything else really drawing my attention.

I like Luckinbill well enough, and I agree that Connery wouldn't have seemed right as a Vulcan. But if that would've made that studio more confident about the movie, hey, Connery in Trek may have been kind of interesting (of course, if it did happen, people would probably just be listing him as another reason the movie didn't work).
Old May 24 2010, 03:13 PM   #30
Lonemagpie
Writer

Go and get the Star Trek Magazine movies special, where I defend this as, well, the best TOS finale episode we could get...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is online now   Reply With Quote