Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 23 2010, 08:40 AM   #1
Aslan ch'Shran
Ensign

Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

Please hold me =(

Seriously though this movie was horrible. The sad thing is they created a fantastic anti-hero/hero in Sybok. I thought he was played to perfection from the moment we saw him in the desert up until he faced himself and sacrificed himself to save the Enterprise crew and his followers. By the end I honestly couldn't even see him as a villain, just a misguided man who in a different circumstance could have been a galactic hero who could have changed many lives. Imagine if Sybok had had the chance to work with Spock to help the Romulans years later.

Terrible, terrible movie otherwise with bad acting from the two Klingon "villains" (if you can call them that they acted and were presented like bit-players) and sub-par special effects.

Yes... hold me.
Aslan ch'Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 08:47 AM   #2
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

What a terrific movie! Sorry, Aslan ch'Shran, I'll hold you but you might not like being held by a sympathizer.

I love this movie, it's one of my very favorite Star Trek movies, and I have many fond memories of it, flaws and all.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 09:08 AM   #3
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

Its many, many, many, many, many flaws...
Old May 23 2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

Cons: It was shit.

Pros: Woulda been good had it not been shit.
Old May 23 2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Tiberius
Commodore

Pros: nice music
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 01:57 PM   #6
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I find TFF had a great underlying theme of the dangers of being a blind follower. Like TOS, it encorporated this theme without being too heavy handed.

It spotlighted the relationship of Kirk/Spock/McCoy better than any of the others, before or since.

Awesome character moments, such as Spock's birth, Bones euthanizing his father, Sybok's conversion of that character in the prologue.

The music was great.

Yes, I agree that it was far from perfect. The special effects, for example were clearly sub-par. (That's the nice way of saying it.) On the other hand, we can still watch TOS original special effects and not be turned off by it.

Biggest con: they pushed too hard to throw humor in, which turned out to be contrived, rather than evolving genuinly from the plot.

Personally, I think it was a terribly under-rated film.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Aslan ch'Shran
Ensign

I agree that it was underrated but the movie was still horrible.

There are many reasons for it, especially the bad writing and bad characters. The primary example are is the Klingon bird of prey and her crew - the two new "Klingon adversaries" weren't even really adversaries, and they both were horrible actors and their parts were completely pointless except for the fact that someone decided that they HAD to be at Sha'Ka'Ree to shoot the God-like being out of the sky.

Another huge offender was the Uhura dance number. What? They a) couldn't think of ANYTHING else? This is Captain Kirk for Christ's sake! and b) 10 grown men actually fell for it.

A third offender WAS the humor. It was good but at too many places it felt pushed too hard, almost like they were trying to make a comedy as opposed to a Star Trek movie.
Aslan ch'Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 05:33 PM   #8
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Aslan ch'Shran wrote: View Post
I agree that it was underrated but the movie was still horrible.

There are many reasons for it, especially the bad writing and bad characters. The primary example are is the Klingon bird of prey and her crew - the two new "Klingon adversaries" weren't even really adversaries, and they both were horrible actors and their parts were completely pointless except for the fact that someone decided that they HAD to be at Sha'Ka'Ree to shoot the God-like being out of the sky.

Another huge offender was the Uhura dance number. What? They a) couldn't think of ANYTHING else? This is Captain Kirk for Christ's sake! and b) 10 grown men actually fell for it.

A third offender WAS the humor. It was good but at too many places it felt pushed too hard, almost like they were trying to make a comedy as opposed to a Star Trek movie.
Completely agreeing with SBK. The humor thing is explained in commentaries and such. After STIV, Shat was told "be more funny like the whale movie" and so humor had to be shoehorned in. From what I remember, Shat wanted a much darker, much more serious movie.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 06:04 PM   #9
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I like Star Trek V. It's no masterpiece, but I think it's fun in a TV-movie kind of way (disclaimer: I think Nemesis is great, too)

About the effects: Sha'Ka'Ree looked great from space. I didn't think the rest were too bad. A little weaker than normal, admittedly but hardly the worst ever.

STV was also the first Star Trek film I ever saw. As a kid I loved the horseriding phaser attack on Paradise City.

I must admit Spockhura works a billion trillion times better than Scottyhura. What were they thinking?
Old May 23 2010, 07:22 PM   #10
shadowedgalaxy
Lieutenant Commander

Question: How does a blue-bubbly-glowing-planet-thing have a purple sky?
shadowedgalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 08:43 PM   #11
Warped9
Admiral

It plays something like a faltering 3rd season TOS episode. Lots of good elements in it that just is generally poorly executed. Good music, some decent character moments, a valid story idea and then nothing. Horrible F/X. The shuttlebay sequences were just awful. TOS did better with less.
Old May 23 2010, 08:45 PM   #12
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

It has one of the best 'ideas' of any Trek movie, and the in-a-nutshell plot description of 'madman hijacks the Enterprise to find God' is genius.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 09:27 PM   #13
Balrog
Commodore

Pros: Some of the best character moments in Trek. The scene of the Big Three and Sybok in the Observation Lounge are the best of any Trek. De Kelley shines, as well as Shatner's Kirk ("I need my pain!"). The campfire screne is also great. The music, especially that at Yosemeti, is some of the best!

Cons: Many, many, many... Heartbreaking really, because there there is so much to like. So many of the comic bits were forced and stupid. The optical effects were done on the cheap, and it shows BADLY. The camera work was shoddy for the physical stunts and effects. You can see the strings holding up Kirk in the shuttlebay fight scene, etc. At times, TFF is painful to watch.

Sad. It is by far a personal guilty pleasure of mine. And I do like it more than INS or NEM.
Old May 23 2010, 11:26 PM   #14
SheliakBob
Commander

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Triple-Breasted Cat Woman!!!

SheliakBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 11:42 PM   #15
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I love this movie. It has heart and soul, some of the most iconic moments and just nails the characters of TOS like no other movie. The soundtrack is excellent. The story is the best of all the TOS movies. Fuck the bad visual effects, I don't care.

Cons: Paramount's inability to get Sean Connery and to give Shatner the money for the rock creature.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote