Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Your thoughts about the episode?
Fantastic! 15 16.48%
Good 49 53.85%
Average 20 21.98%
Meh 6 6.59%
Hopefully it gets swallowed by a very hungry earth. 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22 2010, 10:06 PM   #16
drasche
Captain

Re: 5x08 The Hungry Earth (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Piper wrote: View Post
Also, did anyone else get an Israel/Palestine vibe from the Doctor's conversation with the Silurian? Found that parallel a little uncomfortable myself...
Yes, I got that too. It was not difficult given how often it is on the news. I'm curious to see how this will turn out.

I vaguely heard of the Silurians before so I went on to feed my hunger for knowledge on the TARDIS Index File
Old May 22 2010, 10:53 PM   #17
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Are they crossing this episode into Inferno as well or is that a different strain of the virus the Doctor already inoculated the planet against in the 1980s?

There was a troughton episode where they burrowed, and what about bumping into an aranknos egg while they're down there?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 10:57 PM   #18
Checkmate
Commodore

What I don't get is that they've obviously been fully active and industrialized down there all this time. Those were stasis modules or anything, it was a full blown civilization. Why are they so eager to go and reclaim the surface now?
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 11:03 PM   #19
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Maybe because they really feel threatened by the humans now? They might also be a bit irrational.
In any case, I wouldn't take one Silurian's word for the whole truth. She's a warrior, and they often come off as paranoid/belligerent, at least our militaries do to some extent.
Old May 22 2010, 11:43 PM   #20
DAK
Admiral

I went with good - not great, not awful.

So exactly when did Amy go back and get her engagement ring? Last time we saw it she left it on her night stand at the end of episode 5.
Old May 22 2010, 11:47 PM   #21
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

And what are Rory and Amy's futurre selves doing? And maybe they're from a few hours in the future come to Bill and ted some inconveniences, more so than the temporally approriate counterparts to this era, who also should be trying to help without being seen?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 12:34 AM   #22
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I am thinking that Amy and Rory's future selves if that is indeed what they were are connected somehow to the spatial crack. I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Voted good. Next weekend's episode looks better but we'll see.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 12:44 AM   #23
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

I found this one somewhere between average and good so I went with good.

Seems the Silurian warriors, at least from what we saw in the trailer for next week, are all female. Either that or modified mini are part of the uniform for all. And the first thing I thought when I saw there city was what another poster mentioned: Why wait so long to reclaim the Earth?

Ah well. Looking forward to next week's conclusion.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 12:46 AM   #24
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I am thinking that Amy and Rory's future selves if that is indeed what they were are connected somehow to the spatial crack. I enjoyed this episode quite a bit. Voted good. Next weekend's episode looks better but we'll see.
Given what I'm to understand about
then having
is probably a sign that

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 12:49 AM   #25
scnj
Captain

It was ok. Defintely not well paced. I feel that next week's could have been bumped up to 65 minutes like the Dalek episode and they could have condensed this into the first 20 minutes.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 01:15 AM   #26
Gov Kodos
Admiral

The Silurians look cool, Star Trek like perhaps, but cool. I liked the way Rory is stepping up as a companion, but do things look good for him? I wonder what that control circuit was he put the ring on? The sound effect at that moment sounded like something activating rather than background music. We see Rory and Amy of the future (presumably) but in the Confidential scene that was cut the Doctor mentions this time being in flux, so they may not be Rory and Amy's future. The show does build slowly, much like episodes from the 70's and I liked it very much.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 01:41 AM   #27
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ I agree that this series has been building momentum with each passing episode and i hope that when we reach "The Big Bang" that we'll be satisfied and not let down which I don't think will happen. I too also liked the look of the Silurians. I thought the pacing was slow in some scenes but not horrible. The music was grand again this episode. I thought that something would or will happen to Rory as well when he put the engagement ring on the console. They held that shot for a rather long time to make their point that was important or would be later on.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 01:58 AM   #28
Gov Kodos
Admiral

In the first Confidential Matt Smith holds up a plan of what the various TARDIS control systems are, the one which Rory placed the ring seems to be fabrication. What would be fabricated, if that is what the section is for, is an interesting question?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 02:15 AM   #29
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Well it was where the Sonic Screwdriver popped out of in Eleventh Hour. I don't know if the writer has anything more planned for it than as a handy place to hold the ring this ep.
Old May 23 2010, 03:10 AM   #30
Bones
Commodore

How dull. Next to nothing happened. The new Silurian design is bloody awful. With a two parter you want something big, but instead we get 45 minutes of puttering around a Welsh village with the deepest drilling project ever happening in a shed. Utter filler.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote