Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 21 2010, 04:17 AM   #1
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
The Romulans in JJ Trek

This has something I've been curious about and forgive me if this has been brought up in the forum before but do you think Starfleet or the Federation would contact the Romulans regarding the Nero situation? Nero already separated himself from the Empire in his statement when he first contacts the Enterprise and the crew figures out that he's from the future and created an alternate timeline but with Vulcan's destruction would they have contacted the Empire to have dialogue or brief them on this situation? "Um excuse me fellas...we just had a major encounter with one of your patriots from an alternate time line that has caused the destruction of the homeworld of your ancestors and a founder of the Federation...we'd thought you'd like to know." Or would the Council not even bother and concentrate on rebuilding?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2010, 05:36 AM   #2
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: The Romulans in JJ Trek

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
do you think Starfleet or the Federation would contact the Romulans regarding the Nero situation?
No.
Old May 22 2010, 03:28 AM   #3
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

I wonder if Nero ever contacted Romulus, even just to warn them. I doubt the federation would contact them. But Nero left the federation and klingons in a weakened state which the Romulans could try to take advantage of. I wonder if this will be looked at in the next movie. It would be good to see a different species as villains though.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 12:46 PM   #4
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

I don't think they would. I don't think the Federation cares enough. I wouldn't.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 02:26 AM   #5
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

"To the government of the Rihannsu Imperium/Romulan Star Empire:

Before you begin with the customary denial of any affiliation with the renegade Nero, let us spare you that effort by making the following clear: we know with absolute certainty that Nero was acting on his own. We do not hold you responsible for his actions in any way, shape or form.

"It has been rumoured in recent weeks that you are preparing a formal offer of assistance in resettling those Vulcans and other Federation citizens resident on Vulcan who survived the destruction of their homeworld. We would be pleased and gratified to begin negotiations to support that end, with an eye towards formally opening full diplomatic, cultural and commercial relations with the Imperium, should that be your choice over the longer term.

"Peace and Long Life to you and your people."

Signed - President and Council of the UFP

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 02:57 AM   #6
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post

Before you begin with the customary denial of any affiliation with the renegade Nero, let us spare you that effort by making the following clear: we know with absolute certainty that Nero was acting on his own. We do not hold you responsible for his actions in any way, shape or form.

"It has been rumoured in recent weeks that you are preparing a formal offer of assistance in resettling those Vulcans and other Federation citizens resident on Vulcan who survived the destruction of their homeworld. We would be pleased and gratified to begin negotiations to support that end, with an eye towards formally opening full diplomatic, cultural and commercial relations with the Imperium, should that be your choice over the longer term.

That scream you would probably hear after that would be the citizens of the Klingon Empire screaming in rage about that development and how this royally screws up their plans to crush the United Federation of Planets and the Romulan Star Empire. J.J. should do this just for that reason alone.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 05:50 AM   #7
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

DEWLine wrote: View Post

This could actually be the basis of a great Star Trek story. . . in one-hundred-twenty-something years, the Romulans are going to be in the same boat as the Vulcans, so reunification efforts will kick into high gear, because quite frankly, the Vulcans won't be in a position to even refine or offer the Romulans red matter in this timeline. . . and given the political climate, there will be some in the Federation, the Klingons, and even some Vulcans (who want to preserve their culture) who will be totally against reunification efforts, and will stop at nothing to end them. . . Make a sort of "Journey to Babel" story, where the Enterprise is ferrying diplomats (including Sarek), where Kirk is chafing under the watchful eyes of a Star Fleet who doesn't quite trust him in the big chair yet, Spock being conflicted about reunification and what it means to Vulcan culture, and the crew having to figure out who is trying to sabotage the whole process, before it ignites a war. . .hell, if they don't do a story like this, I might actually have to break down and write it myself. . . .hmmmmmm. . .

~FS
Old May 23 2010, 12:52 PM   #8
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

It would work as fanfiction, but I don't think it would make it as a movie.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2010, 02:03 PM   #9
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I had similar thoughts about a Romulan/Federation alliance after STXI.

Despite half-crazed military leaders, IMO the Romulans are a decent people, with a sense of honour (not in the Klingon "Smash! Smash!" way), and I think they'd be apalled at the idea that one of their own murdered the people and home of their ancestors.

The Romulans would be probably happy to conquer Vulcan and rule it, but I don't think they'd want them all dead and their world destroyed.

I can imagine them, once convinced that Nerada was future-Romulan, offering the surviving Vulcans asylum in the aftermath and palling up a little with the UFP. Or maybe I've just read too many sympathetic Rihannsu novels

Also, with the foreknowledge of the Hobus disaster provided by Old Spock and Nero to Kirk and Pike, I imagine the Romulans and Remans will have long evacuated come alternate 2387.

Also also: No Vulcan = no red matter = no way to stop "galaxy threatening" supernova in alternate future. Uh-oh.
Old May 23 2010, 03:27 PM   #10
FarStrider
Commander

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I had similar thoughts about a Romulan/Federation alliance after STXI.

Despite half-crazed military leaders, IMO the Romulans are a decent people, with a sense of honour (not in the Klingon "Smash! Smash!" way), and I think they'd be apalled at the idea that one of their own murdered the people and home of their ancestors.

The Romulans would be probably happy to conquer Vulcan and rule it, but I don't think they'd want them all dead and their world destroyed.

I can imagine them, once convinced that Nerada was future-Romulan, offering the surviving Vulcans asylum in the aftermath and palling up a little with the UFP. Or maybe I've just read too many sympathetic Rihannsu novels

Also, with the foreknowledge of the Hobus disaster provided by Old Spock and Nero to Kirk and Pike, I imagine the Romulans and Remans will have long evacuated come alternate 2387.

Also also: No Vulcan = no red matter = no way to stop "galaxy threatening" supernova in alternate future. Uh-oh.
The operative words here are: "galaxy-threatening supernova". . . so It doesn't matter if, or where, the Romulans move, they'll still eventually be toast. . .and don't be too sure that being forewarned of the Hobus disaster will be enough to move the Empire's "half-crazed military leaders" into action in time; realistically, it is extremely hard to overcome ingrained military inertia, to switch gears from conquest to building the infrastructure necessary to move billions off-planets. . . It is in the Romulans' best interests right now to ally with the Federation and help the Vulcans repopulate (so they are able to focus on more than rebuilding). . . but will they do it? Are the hostilities and distrust between the cultures too deep?

~FS
Old May 23 2010, 10:24 PM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I don't know that the Romulans would care what some renegades from an alternate reality get up to. The more interesting question is whether they believe Starfleet's claims that their star will go nova on X date. (Certainly Starfleet will attempt to warn them - anything else would be immoral.) At the very least, they'll have enough advance warning that they can be on their guard. Nero may very well have saved Romulus in Abrams' universe.
The operative words here are: "galaxy-threatening supernova". . . so It doesn't matter if, or where, the Romulans move, they'll still eventually be toast.
If the whole galaxy was threatened, then did everyone except Spock in the original reality die? Or did the Federation somehow make an amazing leap in technology that allowed them to move to Andromeda? Did Earth, Vulcan, Andoria and (ulp!) Deep Space Nine all get vaporized and nobody had the good grace to tell us? Even if only a sizable portion of the galaxy was threatened, Earth and Vulcan are still in Romulus' part of the galaxy, from the maps I've seen. No wonder the haters hate JJ so much. He blew everything up!

Okay, seriously - I just wrote off that line as being an, um, little mistake, along the lines of Whedon's claim that "hundreds" of habitable planets could fit into a single star system. Nobody's perfect.

Despite half-crazed military leaders, IMO the Romulans are a decent people, with a sense of honour (not in the Klingon "Smash! Smash!" way),
The Rommies still haven't been adequately fleshed out as a species, which is a major frustration, but based on what little evidence we have, I suspect they have a major streak of xenophobia that will make any dealings with them difficult. It's the same problem the Vulcans have - overwhelmingly volatile emotions that make it difficult to deal with members of their own species, never mind aliens - that must be dealt with by some means. Romulans don't use the Vulcan solution of emotional repression, which leaves open the possibility that they have no solution at all, and would therefore be impossible to deal with diplomatically by their very nature.

They'd prefer to conquer it, but I wouldn't put it past them to be just as genocidal as Nero, but without the excuse of being crazed with vengeance. Which raises dire possibilities in the JJ-verse, where Vulcan has now been largely taken out of the picture as a powerful Fed ally. The Rommies are bound to take advantage of that.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; May 23 2010 at 10:34 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2010, 09:23 PM   #12
Klingon Empire
Captain

Hm. If my Theory on red Matter is correct in anyway, then Romulus should still be able to produce Red Matter. Atleast enough to stop the Supernova.
Old May 25 2010, 02:49 AM   #13
FarStrider
Commander

Klingon Empire wrote: View Post
Hm. If my Theory on red Matter is correct in anyway, then Romulus should still be able to produce Red Matter. Atleast enough to stop the Supernova.
What is your theory? We know that in the future Romulans power their ships with artificial singularities, but we don't know if Red Matter is the catalyst for those singularities. . . If it is, then the Vulcans and Spock wouldn't have needed to get involved. . . however, according to Memory Alpha and the "Countdown" comics, red matter is an artificial substance created by the Vulcan Science Academy. If the Romulans have the capacity to make red matter, then they were negligent and it was their fault their planets were lost. . .

~FS
Old May 25 2010, 05:55 AM   #14
Klingon Empire
Captain

Here you go:

1. Red Matter is made from Decalithium. Decalithium is a rare substance found in the outer regions of the Romulan Star Empire. On several occasions, Mining ships have been sent to mine Decalithium. But Why?

2. Decalithium makes Red Matter. From a process currentlyu unavailable to us, the Decalithium is made into a substance that can only be classified as "Red Matter" as no other name is in existence for the matter. Perhaps "Manufactured Decalithium" as that would be the logical answer to a question of "What is the official name for Red Matter?"

3. Red Matter is indeed used to create artificial singularities, and yes, the Romulan Star Empire does use artificial singularities to power there starships. The only Logical conclusion would be that they send the Mining vessels to retrieve Decalithium, which they then manufacture into red matter, which they use to create singularities to power their ships.

Now, you can say "Why wouldn't they just do it themselves?". Well, think of it like this, The Vulcans may have perfected a system for Manufacturing the Red Matter that the Romulans didn't have access to. It could be as simple as the Vulcans being able to manufacture it quicker and in a larger amount then the Romulans.
Old May 25 2010, 06:52 AM   #15
Rek
Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rek

created an alternate timeline
Just a question, did he create the alternate timeline or go to one?

Cus' then I'm confused. If doing anything during a timeline will create another one thats alternate to the one that was originally suppose to happen, did we ever start and finish any Star Trek in the same timeline or did it create and jump to tons of timelines during each series?

If however, he just went to a alternate timeline, what was the point in that at all? Because after the movie, if the future spock went back to his own timeline then it would be the same and nothing would of changed at all(Vulcan would still be there). It would make a HELL of a lot more sense if he traveled in his own timeline to go back and take revange on the future spocks original timeline.

Although if he travled in his own timeline I am aware it would make more sense to just jump back in time and stop the supernova himself. I guess that was the writers reasoning to make it a alternate timeline, so that the movie actually would be made.
Rek is offline   Reply With Quote