Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old October 23 2008, 03:13 AM   #196
Zefram_Cochrane
First Faster Than Light

View Zefram_Cochrane's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Zefram_Cochrane Send a message via AIM to Zefram_Cochrane Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zefram_Cochrane Send a message via Yahoo to Zefram_Cochrane
Re: Star Trek: Full Speed Ahead

CeJay wrote: View Post
No matter who Leone's friends and family are, I don't think she deserved that kind of treatment, especially not from a fellow starship captain. But Maxwell does strike me as a character who might take offense with the privileges Leone might have had.
You should've seen the first draft. This is actually the toned-down fourth draft. Maxwell was actually more direct and didn't play to any subtle phrases whatsoever. But, it was determined, by my alpha readers at the United Trek forums, to be far too hostile.

CeJay wrote: View Post
I like the tension between the two characters as it makes for great storytelling opportunities down the road. I for once am hoping for Leone to stick it to the old man somehow later on. Maybe Phoenix gets into a serious jam and only Farragut can help .... oh, how delicious that would be for our 'Princess'.

Great segment!
Which is exactly what I was trying to set up. The antithesis to Maxwell's contempt for Leone is going to come to a head in the second season, shortly before he takes Phoenix into Cardassian territory and starts shooting up ships ("The Wounded"). The tension begun in Eight The Hard Way is a set-up toward that inevitability. I'm going to tr and have fun with it as much as I can

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the compliment!

-- ZC

Visit my writing blog or my fanfic profile at Ad Astra.
Zefram_Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2008, 05:14 AM   #197
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Well, well, well. So Maxwell was an asshole even BEFORE he went postal on the Cardassians.

Then again, as you might expect from someone who writes Gul Macet as one of her lead characters, I never was inclined to see that particular character very kindly anyway.

The way you portrayed him just put a chill up my spine. Yes, maybe Leona had a lot of connections or whatever--but you could definitely see the calculating madman simmering beneath the surface. Or maybe it's more that I see it through the lens of my version of Macet...I don't know, but to me there's definitely a lot of foreshadowing of that singleminded madness: perhaps he thinks if he scares his underlings enough, they won't question him when he goes on his little vigilante mission?
Old October 23 2008, 05:46 AM   #198
Zefram_Cochrane
First Faster Than Light

View Zefram_Cochrane's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Zefram_Cochrane Send a message via AIM to Zefram_Cochrane Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zefram_Cochrane Send a message via Yahoo to Zefram_Cochrane

Nerys Dukat wrote: View Post
Well, well, well. So Maxwell was an asshole even BEFORE he went postal on the Cardassians.

Then again, as you might expect from someone who writes Gul Macet as one of her lead characters, I never was inclined to see that particular character very kindly anyway.

The way you portrayed him just put a chill up my spine. Yes, maybe Leona had a lot of connections or whatever--but you could definitely see the calculating madman simmering beneath the surface. Or maybe it's more that I see it through the lens of my version of Macet...I don't know, but to me there's definitely a lot of foreshadowing of that singleminded madness: perhaps he thinks if he scares his underlings enough, they won't question him when he goes on his little vigilante mission?
Full credit for my interpretation of Maxwell goes to the phenomenal portrayl by the very talented character actor, Bob Gunton. He seems to find himself in similarly-written roles ("The Shawshank Redemption," "Demolition Man," "Patch Adams"). It was so easy to just hear his voice and figure out what he might say given his performance, and O'Brien's description of him when they asked for his opinion. I needed a new foil for Leone, since I traded away Hargreaves from Milk Run and Eternal Midnight.

Fact is, Leone is not a nice person, in spite of her being the main character. People could easily side with Maxwell given her recent history as sort of a reckless captain (seen through the eyes of Tricia Hargreaves). Leone's only card really is her familial ties in the upper upper echelons of Starfleet. And she is the type of person who's used them to her advantage pretty much her career. Her reputation is well-earned.

But yeah, there's a little crazy there, but before he went crazy... he had the reputation of being a rock-steady starship commander. So, I guess we'll see what happens. This was his only appearance in this episode, but since Farragut is assigned to his task force, this won't be the last time we see him.

-- ZC

Old October 23 2008, 05:52 AM   #199
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Yeah, as I read, I'm not liking Leone either--but like I said, I do come at the character of Maxwell from a bit of a biased perspective. (Same deal with Picard for a similar reason, but much more ambivalence there.)
Old October 23 2008, 05:57 AM   #200
Zefram_Cochrane
First Faster Than Light

Yeah, as I read, I'm not liking Leone either--but like I said, I do come at the character of Maxwell from a bit of a biased perspective. (Same deal with Picard for a similar reason, but much more ambivalence there.)
Some people really like Leone, though. I guess the need for an anti-hero is greater in Trek. That's something I felt was never fully explored within the shows.

Some people really love Ariel, but I think that's because she's walking sex more than anything else

-- ZC

Old October 23 2008, 06:05 AM   #201
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Understand that when I say I don't like her, it's not your writing skill I'm critiquing. You are doing a GOOD job of portraying a character that gets that sort of reaction.
Old October 23 2008, 06:06 AM   #202
Zefram_Cochrane
First Faster Than Light

Understand that when I say I don't like her, it's not your writing skill I'm critiquing. You are doing a GOOD job of portraying a character that gets that sort of reaction.
Oh, I got that. I never write with my ego. I lost that when writing professionally.

And thanks.

-- ZC

Old October 23 2008, 08:26 PM   #203
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Good work so far-what's next?

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2009, 03:37 PM   #204
Zefram_Cochrane
First Faster Than Light

The Chains of Error, a crossover novel with Gibraltar, has posted chapter 6 over at Ad Astra:

http://www.adastrafanfic.com/viewsto...=232&chapter=7

-- ZC

Old September 16 2009, 11:37 AM   #205
CeJay
Commodore

I love what you guys are doing with the Chains of Error but I was genuinely wondering the other day when we'll get some more Full Speed Ahead. You got an ETA for us on that?

Now with complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2009, 03:10 PM   #206
Zefram_Cochrane
First Faster Than Light

Oh geez... uh... well... it really has a lot to do with the fact that my primary job has been kicking my butt for the past few months since we released our new product, so when I get home, I'm totally wiped. Plus, I do a radio show twice a week on Japan-A-Radio, so it cuts into my writing time.

I'm working on finishing Eight The Hard Way, but the plot something I'm not feeling. I may dump it and go in a different direction (or get there by another route, maybe).

-- ZC

Old December 29 2009, 07:43 PM   #207
Zefram_Cochrane
First Faster Than Light

For those of you who have been waiting with abated breath for more FSA...

Head over to Ad Astra: http://www.adastrafanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=635

I'm not going to be posting any more long fiction pieces here, just links. It's difficult to hand-edit the fiction for BBCode, and plus if you guys could leave reviews over there, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for your continued support!

-- ZC

Old May 20 2010, 04:14 AM   #208
Zefram_Cochrane
First Faster Than Light

Eight the Hard Way is finally complete.

-- ZC

Old May 20 2010, 08:41 PM   #209
Gibraltar
Rear Admiral

Zefram_Cochrane wrote: View Post
Eight the Hard Way is finally complete.

-- ZC
Excellent news!
Old May 23 2010, 05:54 AM   #210
Zefram_Cochrane
First Faster Than Light

Gibraltar wrote: View Post
Excellent news!
Ah, Gibraltar! I think you're my only reader.

-- ZC