RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,711
Posts: 5,431,955
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 539
Newest member: fanficfan


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 20 2010, 01:49 AM   #211
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Where did Spock go?

StarryEyed wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
While nuSpock was dicking around in the Abramsverse TOS Spock went out for a bucket of original recipe KFC for the gang. Probably picked up some brownies and macaroni salad, too.

Well, I think I did see him sucking on a Tootsie Pop once.
I KNOW you are speaking in jest here. The macaroni salad I could see but the rest would be MOST illogical.
Who knows? In the 23rd century the food could be replicated so that it wouldn't be actual animal meat. And I HAVE seen a rare photo of Nimoy in full costume and makeup sucking on a Tootsie Pop.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 04:25 AM   #212
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Where did Spock go?

He sticks a lollipop into his mouth right after flubbing a line in "This Side of Paradise": "The plants act as a suppository." It's on film and it's been aired (it was on USA's NightFlight) so it must be canon.
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 07:46 AM   #213
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Where did Spock go?

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
He sticks a lollipop into his mouth right after flubbing a line in "This Side of Paradise": "The plants act as a suppository." It's on film and it's been aired (it was on USA's NightFlight) so it must be canon.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 11:33 AM   #214
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Where did Spock go?

It also means that the plants really do act as a suppository. Now we know just which side of paradise we're dealing with.
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 03:44 PM   #215
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Where did Spock go?

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
It also means that the plants really do act as a suppository. Now we know just which side of paradise we're dealing with.
The dark underside of it apparently
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 05:13 PM   #216
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Where did Spock go?

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
How Cochrane behaved to the Landing Party of the 1701 Enterprise is not necessarily an indication of a timeline problem. Between the year between FC and Metamorphosis, he did seem to clean up his act (if you believe what history wrote about him and that first ST:Enterprise Episode) and with many years of interfacing with the Companion, there is no telling what it did to some of his memories and personality.
After he stopped getting drunk and re-telling the story, he might have just had a personal policy of holding his tounge on the whole subject.

Luther Sloan wrote: View Post

Time Line B:

First Contact

In First Contact the film: we see Picard reveal future life details and technology to two very important individuals within history (i.e. Lily and Cochrane). Such an occurrence would have logically influenced the Federation and Starfleet into becoming more advanced technologically. However, (despite a few minor little alterations or nitpicks and knowledge of the Borg's attack on Earth in the past) when Picard and crew returned back to their own time, there was no noticeable or major changes to the time line. This means that this is either a fixed (or altered) time line that Picard returned to or a nearly identical separate time line.
With all due respect to the character, in the grand plan of the universe how important or irreplaceable was Lily? The impression I received was that she was to be one of the crewmembers on the first flight, either in Riker's or LaForge's position. But how many people can remember the name of the flight engineer on the B-29 that dropped Chuck Yeager's plane the on day he broke the sound barrior?

I thought one of the most interesting changes, an obvious change, was that on the wall on the observation lounge behind the bridge there were previous ships that had been named enterprise (Human only and Starfleet). Prior to FC, Archer's ship was absent, after FC it was present. I believe that Cochrane push to have the first long range explorer starship named Enterprise and that in the original timeline he didn't. Archer's ship still existed and Archer was still the Captain, but the ship held a different name.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Well I did want to keep this subject on point between TOS and ST09, but if you insist. Anyone who is familiar with my opinions over the years around here likely know that I don't consider the '80s films and TNG part of the same continuity as TOS either.

For a host of reasons.
It would seem that TOS leads to TAS leads to TMP, it looks fairly obvious anyway. After that Warped9 it admittedly becomes less clear. You can have a single continuity without ejecting entire series , if instead you peel off only select episodes. Or in some cases only a relatively few scenes from those episodes, Warped9 you have to admit it's only a few snippets of dialog that really screws up the over all continuity.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I dunno, I'd quite like an infinite number of Doctor Crushers.
An infinite number of Beverlys giving birth to an infinite number of Wesleys
__________________
.
It's easy to support someones beliefs if they are identical to your own.
Tolerating beliefs that you don't personal embrace, or even fully understand, is harder.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 08:46 PM   #217
Dukhat
Commodore
 
Dukhat's Avatar
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
Re: Where did Spock go?

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
Spock Prime came from the TOS universe; the movie is connected to the TOS universe and is not a "clean reboot." The assertions otherwise here are not based on "on-screen evidence" but on narrow, subjective interpretations of details in the movie being wedged to fit into a preconceived, preferred conclusion.
AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE, BECAUSE STONE COLD BAILEY SAID SO!!


What Dennis said works for me, silly rolly-eyed emoticon notwithstanding.
__________________
“Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
– Benjamin Franklin
Dukhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 11:08 PM   #218
Joker
Vice Admiral
 
Joker's Avatar
 
Location: The North
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker
Re: Where did Spock go?

It works for anyone who hasn't went off the deep-end of creepy obsessive fandom.
__________________
My name is Pain. You belong to me.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2010, 12:39 AM   #219
Kelso
Vice Admiral
 
Kelso's Avatar
 
Location: On the destruct button until the last minute!
View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: Where did Spock go?

elton wrote: View Post
It works for anyone who hasn't went off the deep-end of creepy obsessive fandom.
No, it works for me, too.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2010, 12:49 AM   #220
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Where did Spock go?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
What I do know is that future TOS Spock didn't emerge into the Abramsverse. Simply because TOS Spock well knows that Kirk didn't command the Enterprise until his early thirties. And for him to express surprise that young, barely out of Academy, nuKirk is not already in command of the Enterprise clearly illustrates that the Spock that emerges into the Abramsverse isn't TOS Spock.
Your argument seems to hinge on Spock Prime being able to closely discern Kirk's age. Allow me to echo several other posters here in pointing out that this argument is rather weak. Consider what we actually know about Kirk's age.

In Star Trek (2009) Kirk is 25.38 years old when he meets Spock Prime, according to the stardates in the film. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't actually know exactly when Kirk took command of the original Enterprise. We can make an assumption based upon what we do know, however. We know that the Enterprise is on a five-year mission. We know that during the middle of the second season Kirk is 34 years old ("The Deadly Years"). We know that the five-year mission lasts for at least a year and half beyond that episode (approximately). We don't know when Kirk's birthday is, beyond a stardate in "Where No Man Has Gone Before." Since that stardate is found on a tombstone which gives Kirk the middle initial of "R." and due to the notoriously unreliable nature of stardates on Star Trek (1966-1969) this information doesn't help us. For all we know Kirk may have just turned 34 prior to "The Deadly Years" or he may have been about to turn 35.

Knowing all this information, we can guess that Kirk is somewhere in his early 30s when he takes command of the Enterprise in the original timeline, probably between 30 and 31.

Therefore, Spock Prime emerges into the past at an indeterminate point (Nero didn't know when he was either, which is why he must ask Robau). He meets Kirk, without a tunic indicating rank, at the age of 25.38 (Kirk may be "barely out of the academy" in the new movie, but keep in mind that due to the death of his father he delayed entry into Starfleet). Spock misjudges the age of his old friend, who he hasn't seen in decades, by five years. Big deal.

But before I continue going off into the deep-end of creepy obsessive fandom, I'll leave it at that.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2010, 12:56 AM   #221
Kelso
Vice Admiral
 
Kelso's Avatar
 
Location: On the destruct button until the last minute!
View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: Where did Spock go?

^ Also, Spock knows that Nero arrived some time ahead of him and has been doing God-knows-what with the timeline. He has no way of knowing how much of the history he remembers has been altered. Then, immediately after Vulcan goes kabloom, Kirk comes barreling into Spock's cave. Spock's initial assumption, that somehow Captain Kirk has come to rescue him ("How did you find me?"), is pretty reasonable under the circumstances.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2010, 01:11 AM   #222
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Where did Spock go?

Spock met Kirk when he (Kirk) assumed command of the Enterprise. Kirk was in his early thirties between 30-34 (another subject for another discussion). He would have had access to Kirk's record and Spock has excellent memory recall. He would know exactly what Kirk would look like. If kirk looked noticeably younger (to Spock's eyes) he would know he couldn't have been in command of the Enterprise.

And while this is out of universe photos of Shatner a mere five or so years before Star Trek show a noticeable difference even to human eyes.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2010, 01:24 AM   #223
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Where did Spock go?

Wasn't Shatner a heavy smoker during Star Trek? That doesn't exactly take off the years.

34 is pushing the date when Kirk and Spock met too far. He's 34 in the second season, which means, in the very least, he's 33 when they meet (and there's plenty of evidence indicating Kirk was even younger when he took command).
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2010, 01:25 AM   #224
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Where did Spock go?

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Spock met Kirk when he (Kirk) assumed command of the Enterprise. Kirk was in his early thirties between 30-34 (another subject for another discussion). He would have had access to Kirk's record and Spock has excellent memory recall. He would know exactly what Kirk would look like. If kirk looked noticeably younger (to Spock's eyes) he would know he couldn't have been in command of the Enterprise.

And while this is out of universe photos of Shatner a mere five or so years before Star Trek show a noticeable difference even to human eyes.
We don't know when Prime Kirk and Spock met. At all. Your assumptions say they didn't meet until TOS, nothing more.

Same for Kirk's age when he became captain of the Enterprise, or even achieved the rank of captain - he may even have commanded another ship prior to the E. He may also have commanded the E for a time before the 5YM began.

Up next: It's an alternate universe because Chis Pine's hair is real.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2010, 02:02 AM   #225
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Where did Spock go?

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
We don't know when Prime Kirk and Spock met. At all. Your assumptions say they didn't meet until TOS, nothing more.
He knows what Kirk looked like when Kirk took command. That's all he needs to know.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
spock

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.