Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

View Poll Results: How do you feel about TNG?
I love TNG, both it and DS9 are excellent 67 44.97%
I like TNG, but I prefer DS9 58 38.93%
TNG was okay, I have no strong feelings 13 8.72%
I disliked TNG, DS9 was the superior show 4 2.68%
I loath TNG, it ruined everything 2 1.34%
I'm not a Niner but I want to vote for the comic option 5 3.36%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19 2010, 06:13 AM   #31
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: How do Niners feel about TNG?

I just like 24th century Star Trek. I grew up with TNG, and love it and DS9 about equally. Both have their goods and bads, but the bads don't ruin my enjoyment. I wish we had another 24th century Star Trek, or even 25th, so we're continuing to move forward in the universe instead of rebooting.
Old May 19 2010, 01:12 PM   #32
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Well, I wouldn't categorize myself as a hater because I believe others have a right to their opinion. And I would never go in the TNG forum and flame people because their tastes differ from mine. That's their right, and I think fans of other shows should be able to enjoy themselves unharassed just as Niners should.
I wasn't 100% serious in that post... The poll was created in the first place because of a poster who accused Niners of being TNG haters. And TheGodBen used to have a VOY rewatch thread in VOY forum called "A hater revisits Voyager", even though he's not a "hater" at all by any definition.

Isn't the "I dislike TNG, DS9 was the superior show" option the right for you?

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 02:14 PM   #33
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I guess. It's just that my opinion was VERY different when I was younger.
Old May 19 2010, 02:21 PM   #34
M
Vice Admiral

How I – as a Niner – feel about The Next Generation? I love it! I do, however, think Deep Space Nine is a way better show.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 03:53 PM   #35
Mr Cool Dude

As a Star Trek fan, one thing I have noticed is that these so called Niners are rarely able to esteem the value of their favourite show without denegrating The Next Generation. Try asking a Niner what was so great about DS9 and they'll respond with something like: "oh yeah, it was awesome, it was dark, shades of grey, blah blah blah, and it was much better than TNG. TNG sucked - etc etc".
They can never talk about DS9 without referencing TNG. I think they have some kind of complex.
Old May 19 2010, 04:39 PM   #36
Jono
Rear Admiral

^ The poll at the moment seems to indicate your impression is incorrect as the vast majority like TNG.

Though if similar numbers vote in this one as they did in the Voyager thread there is still around 2/3 to go, so you might be showed to be correct in time.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 05:27 PM   #37
jadzia_dax2369
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Location: Some were in the milky way...... oh crap the borg!!!
View jadzia_dax2369's Twitter Profile

hey fellow niners

i like TNG but im a true NINER, i love Deep space nine- it was sooooo much darker than the others, and it was no sheep ( didnt have the borg like both Voyager and The next generation had) which personly i found to be crap. but its just me
jadzia_dax2369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 07:51 PM   #38
CaseNumber825
Lieutenant

I'm kind of wavering between the option of loving both TNG and DS9 and preferring DS9.

I think I'm going to have to go with preferring DS9 because, although TNG is the show that really made me emmerse myself in the Star Trek world, DS9 is the show that cemented me in the Trek world and it's the Trek show that I really obsess over.
CaseNumber825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 09:49 PM   #39
Mr. Scott
Commander

DS9 was a much better show than TNG. Not that TNG was bad show, but the first season was almost unwatchable and really did not find its feet until the third season. I have TNG on DVD, and I skip probably 40% of the stories.

I have DS9 also, and this show hit the ground running since the pilot episode. I rarely skip over any episodes. This show was good until the final episode. It never let me down. Really the only unwatchable episodes are Bashir with the retarded Augments (the mustached crazy guy, the overly sexaulized woman, the wierd old man and the girl who wouldn't talk,) and the episode where Keiko is possessed by an evil being.

Another thing I really liked about DS9 that it was about family and relationships. Sisko and Jake, Nog, Rom, Quark, Moogie, and Zek, Keiko, Miles and their kids. I do hate the episode at the end of Season 7 when Sisko went away to the Prophets leaving a pregneant Kasidy and Jake alone. Made no sense and made me cry in the end. I loved the DS9 characters. TNG, except for Picard, Data, Worf and Dr. Pulaski, they all couold have been thrown out of an airlock.
Mr. Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 10:41 PM   #40
Photon
Commodore

S1/S2 just plain sucked

S3-S6 was very good

S7 just was weaker
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 12:31 AM   #41
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Mr Cool Dude wrote: View Post
As a Star Trek fan, one thing I have noticed is that these so called Niners are rarely able to esteem the value of their favourite show without denegrating The Next Generation. Try asking a Niner what was so great about DS9 and they'll respond with something like: "oh yeah, it was awesome, it was dark, shades of grey, blah blah blah, and it was much better than TNG. TNG sucked - etc etc".
They can never talk about DS9 without referencing TNG. I think they have some kind of complex.
Either you haven't read the thread at all or you just want a reaction...'cause I'm not seeing the kind of talk you claim is always there.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 03:48 AM   #42
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

Tosk wrote: View Post
Mr Cool Dude wrote: View Post
Either you haven't read the thread at all or you just want a reaction...'cause I'm not seeing the kind of talk you claim is always there.
Don't lie, Tosk, you know we're all haters. I mean, even I said how much I hate TNG in my own post in this thread.
Old May 20 2010, 04:32 AM   #43
Tosk
Rear Admiral

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
I mean, even I said how much I hate TNG in my own post in this thread.
Yeah, but you're a hater, so I have to assume you were lying just to rile people up. But if you were lying, then you're not really a hater...and if you're not a hater, you could be telling the truth...about being a hater.

I'm so confused.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 04:51 AM   #44
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Back in the 90's and early 00s I probably would have voted for option 2.

Now it's more like 3.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 05:00 AM   #45
Taerdok
Cadet

I'd have to go with option 3 as my memories of TNG are rather distant and hazy -- the last time I'd seen a TNG episode would probably be 14-15 years ago and I don't recall paying that much attention to it even then.
Taerdok is offline   Reply With Quote