Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old May 17 2010, 08:21 PM   #106
ares93
Commodore

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Very, VERY long way from Maine, I'm afraid. We've had visitors from Atlanta, Columbus, Tallahassee, and this weekend Birmingham. That's 3 hours or less for everyone who's visited.

Not much to see for another few weeks either. We're just about to start painting thing black and gray. We don't even have the carpet in yet, and my wife is thinking that we should add an air-conditioning unit to the set.
of course you should! have you ever heard of a starship without life support? besides, no AC in georgia during the summer. bad idea...
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 09:22 PM   #107
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

we plan on filming after 10pm most nights -- we filmed the Klingon scenes, and it was all right -- we had a couple of huge blower fans to cool it off. We also have an industrial-sized airconditioner on that side of the house. We could open the door and lower the temperature considerably. But as hot as it was yesterday evening while we were working, it might be best to get an extra AC put it for a while.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 09:42 PM   #108
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Your shooting outdoors, right? What are you doing about background noise? Are you planning on doing a lot of ADR?

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 09:59 PM   #109
lennier1
Commodore

Great planning. Once the bridge is complete and lit for shooting the actors in their full gear will certainly be grateful for good air conditioning.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2010, 10:14 PM   #110
Data Holmes
Admiral

we plan on filming after 10pm most nights -- we filmed the Klingon scenes, and it was all right -- we had a couple of huge blower fans to cool it off. We also have an industrial-sized airconditioner on that side of the house. We could open the door and lower the temperature considerably. But as hot as it was yesterday evening while we were working, it might be best to get an extra AC put it for a while.
PP, You do have a window behind the bridge set don't you? get a cheap-o window unit from Walmart, that way you can keep the set cooler.
Keep the AC up high during normal filming, then after the ship takes a hit or two, shut the AC down and let it get "warm". Adds to the look.

Nick Meyer used a similar idea when he was filming TWOK, he would have the AC turned off while filming the battle scenes, because he felt that the increase in temp, and the effect it had on the actors, helped the performance. If a ship takes damage, it's very likely that the air circulation system could go down or even seal off segments of the ship to prevent spreading smoke/toxins. That would change, during a high tension moment, does produce a physical response in humans.
Old May 17 2010, 10:22 PM   #111
lennier1
Commodore

Walmart? Didn't that South Park episode teach you anything?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
Old May 17 2010, 11:51 PM   #112
Data Holmes
Admiral

lennier1 wrote: View Post
Walmart? Didn't that South Park episode teach you anything?
Meh, cheap stuff is cheap stuff.
Old May 18 2010, 01:13 AM   #113
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Your shooting outdoors, right? What are you doing about background noise? Are you planning on doing a lot of ADR?
Ralph Miller's our sound guy, but the background noise was neglible on the Klingon shoot. Remember, we're shooting at night in a suburban neighborhood. We had a dog bark once. We're also considering dropping a vinyl partition across the carport entrance once we're done. That will help us with both noise and cooling.

Great planning. Once the bridge is complete and lit for shooting the actors in their full gear will certainly be grateful for good air conditioning.
Well, honestly it wasn't any planning. Just a suggestion from a chemical engineering wife who loves changing my designs as often as she likes.

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
PP, You do have a window behind the bridge set don't you? get a cheap-o window unit from Walmart, that way you can keep the set cooler.
We're on the same page.

Keep the AC up high during normal filming, then after the ship takes a hit or two, shut the AC down and let it get "warm". Adds to the look. Nick Meyer used a similar idea when he was filming TWOK, he would have the AC turned off while filming the battle scenes, because he felt that the increase in temp, and the effect it had on the actors, helped the performance. If a ship takes damage, it's very likely that the air circulation system could go down or even seal off segments of the ship to prevent spreading smoke/toxins. That would change, during a high tension moment, does produce a physical response in humans.
Agreed! Thanks for that suggestion, and I'll forward that to the director of photography.
Old May 18 2010, 01:36 AM   #114
Data Holmes
Admiral

We're on the same page.

Keep the AC up high during normal filming, then after the ship takes a hit or two, shut the AC down and let it get "warm". Adds to the look. Nick Meyer used a similar idea when he was filming TWOK, he would have the AC turned off while filming the battle scenes, because he felt that the increase in temp, and the effect it had on the actors, helped the performance. If a ship takes damage, it's very likely that the air circulation system could go down or even seal off segments of the ship to prevent spreading smoke/toxins. That would change, during a high tension moment, does produce a physical response in humans.
Agreed! Thanks for that suggestion, and I'll forward that to the director of photography.
Might also want to let the makeup department in on it if you are going to do it. According to the story, Nick Meyer didn't tell anyone but the electrician who shut it down about it the first time, and they had some... issues with the makeup and it running from the sweating.
Old May 18 2010, 01:52 AM   #115
lennier1
Commodore

... wife who loves changing my designs as often as she likes.
A tad redundant. It's part of a wife's job description.
Old May 18 2010, 03:50 AM   #116
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

I did the makeup for the Klingon unit, but I'm not sure who's doing it for the primary shot yet. And even though it was comfortable, I did have to put the Klingon commander's eyebrow back on once.
Old May 18 2010, 03:51 AM   #117
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

A tad redundant. It's part of a wife's job description.
Dude! You're gonna get your ass kicked. LOL
Old May 19 2010, 03:48 PM   #118
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Just a quick update: We've added a short article and some low-res screen caps from our Klingon shoot to the website. Also added a pic from one of the cast members and a credit or two on our index page.

We've got someone new working on the control panels -- we were having a few too many issues with the appliques, so we're looking at acrylic now.

Tonight, we'll finish the bridge stations, and will be ready to paint them.
Old May 19 2010, 06:51 PM   #119
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile

Wow! You're really chugging along! I better start playing catch-up!
Melonpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 10:50 PM   #120
stonester1
Rear Admiral

My pic, cast bio and character outline is up. Yay!

http://www.projectpotemkin.com/