Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 14 2010, 07:18 AM   #16
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Saban re-acquires rights to 'Rangers'

I watched Power Rangers when they were first on up to probably the Turbo (Was that after Ninja?) years. I found Kimberly and whoever was the original Yellow Ranger kind of hot. What are they up to now.

Edit:

I was just kinda reading up on what some of the original members are up to now and I didn't know Trang (Trini - Yellow) died near the Bay Area in 2001. That's sad.
Old May 14 2010, 07:39 AM   #17
Kibbin
Fleet Captain

I watched up to about that era too.
My main hope is that if they do redo the whole thing they can plan departures better and skip over Turbo which was rubbish, well 'cept the theme tune. That's something else, no rap, just cheesy power pop rock stuff please.
Old May 14 2010, 07:50 AM   #18
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I watched Power Rangers when they were first on up to probably the Turbo (Was that after Ninja?) years.
Ninja was the third season of MMPR. Then Zeo, and then Turbo.

I watched the first two seasons off and on, mostly because it was so hilariously dumb.

I'll take everyone's word for it that Disney didn't seem to have the same level of care regarding the show that Saban did. I do think Disney's first two seasons — Ninja Storm and Dino Thunder — were a lot of fun, and managed to capture the spirit of the original show, while still being able to wink at those audience members who'd grown up with the original MMPR.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 12:25 PM   #19
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Hi, I'm going to be the a##hole that comes in here surprised that anyone would talk about this show.
Unless you're having nostalgia for your youth ( I guess people that watched this at age 7 would be about 23 or 24 now)
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 01:56 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
To Disney, the franchise was a way to appeal to the young boy demographic and balance out their market appeal.
Aha. And now they have Marvel for that, so they don't need the Rangers anymore. Makes sense.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 03:33 PM   #21
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Nardpuncher wrote: View Post
Hi, I'm going to be the a##hole that comes in here surprised that anyone would talk about this show.
Unless you're having nostalgia for your youth ( I guess people that watched this at age 7 would be about 23 or 24 now)
You'd be surprised by the size of PR's adult fanbase. The show might be marketed primarily at young kids, but some of the sesaons also, tonally, appeal to an older audience, most of which watched the series as kids and has stayed with it - to some degree - over the years.

BTW, to the people who may have given up on the franchise after its early seasons, you should give it another chance and check out the later seasons, in particular the following:
Power Rangers in Space
Power Rangers Lost Galaxy
Power Rangers Time Force
Power Rangers Dino Thunder (not personally a big fan, but enough of the fandom likes it for me to reccomend watching it)
Power Rangers SPD (again, not a big fan, but it's popular with the majority so I'm again recommending it)
Power Rangers RPM

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 03:50 PM   #22
Kibbin
Fleet Captain

Also for thouse who have stopped watching I'd recommend 'Forever Red' and 'Once a ranger' which were anniversary shows with a good deal of call back, especially FR.
I saw most of Dino Thunder and will say it does its share of winks and nudges, the only one that comes to mind that isn't too much of a spoiler is Tommy commentating on the Rnagers fashion/colour choices.

Last edited by Kibbin; May 14 2010 at 04:02 PM.
Kibbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 03:58 PM   #23
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

Disney was foolish not to make use of this resource. Quality aside, age aside, you have 700 eps of air time you're not using, and if you add in all of Saban's lesser lights, it's gotta be in the 8's if not 1K area. Whole channels are run on less than this.

If nothing else--release whole seasons on DVD. You could even nix Turbo's rep by releasing one half with the departing MMPR vets (as part of Zeo), and the other half along with the intro to Space. Channel, DVD--whatever--there is a base, and Disney never moved to exploit it. It kind of reminds me of Lincoln's comments to McClellan about the Army Of The Potomac--if you're not using it, can I borrow them?

As to the appeal : Good goofy fun that occasionally transcends its limits.
Old May 14 2010, 04:09 PM   #24
Meredith
Vice Admiral

As long as Saban stays far far away from Sailor Moon, I'm happy.
Old May 14 2010, 05:51 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer

You'd be surprised by the size of PR's adult fanbase. The show might be marketed primarily at young kids, but some of the sesaons also, tonally, appeal to an older audience, most of which watched the series as kids and has stayed with it - to some degree - over the years.
Not to mention those of us who started watching as adults because the female Rangers were just plain hot. Especially Amy Jo Johnson, the original Pink Ranger. She's probably more responsible than anyone else for giving the show its initial popularity among adult male viewers.

BTW, to the people who may have given up on the franchise after its early seasons, you should give it another chance and check out the later seasons, in particular the following:
Power Rangers in Space
Power Rangers Lost Galaxy
Power Rangers Time Force
Power Rangers Dino Thunder (not personally a big fan, but enough of the fandom likes it for me to reccomend watching it)
Power Rangers SPD (again, not a big fan, but it's popular with the majority so I'm again recommending it)
Power Rangers RPM
I didn't care for SPD, though maybe that's just me. It did go for a more sophisticated approach, with a lot of tension among the Ranger characters, but I just didn't care for the characters or their portrayers that year. Otherwise, I agree with your recommendations, although I'd add Mystic Force and Jungle Fury from the Disney years.

I did a 3-part overview of the Power Rangers saga to date on my blog, beginning here:

http://christopherlbennett.wordpress...power-rangers/

Old May 14 2010, 07:18 PM   #26
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ I was trying to reccommend seasons of the franchise that the majority of the PR fandom considers to be of decent to high quality. I would personally agree with you regarding Mystic Force, but am in a distinct minority there. Other series that I personally love that don't get a lot of appreciation from the PR fandom at large are Ninja Storm and Wild Force (although I haven't seen the latter in its entirety). Speaking of NS, I've got a suggestion for yuou based on the comments you made in your blog: give it another chance, and this time, pay attention to the similarities between it and the first 3 seasons of MMPR, because the parallels are uncanny. Most of the PR fandom considers Dino Thunder to be the most 'MMPR-esque' of the later seasons in the franchise, but, for me, that distinction goes to NS, because nearly every single one of the characters is an analogue in some way to a character from MMPR.

Old May 14 2010, 07:30 PM   #27
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

I figured that this would be the best thread to post this in.

Linkara, who does the Atop the Fourth Wall comic reviews is currently working on an excellent History of Power Rangers video series.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 09:50 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

^ I was trying to reccommend seasons of the franchise that the majority of the PR fandom considers to be of decent to high quality. I would personally agree with you regarding Mystic Force, but am in a distinct minority there.
I'm surprised. I thought it had one of the better storylines and one of the more consistently effective and appealing casts. And while Jungle Fury had its problems (such as a failure to develop the Rhino Ranger effectively and an overly abrupt resolution to some things), I thought it worked well overall.

Speaking of NS, I've got a suggestion for yuou based on the comments you made in your blog: give it another chance, and this time, pay attention to the similarities between it and the first 3 seasons of MMPR, because the parallels are uncanny. Most of the PR fandom considers Dino Thunder to be the most 'MMPR-esque' of the later seasons in the franchise, but, for me, that distinction goes to NS, because nearly every single one of the characters is an analogue in some way to a character from MMPR.
That doesn't exactly recommend it to me. MMPR, from a writing and characterization standpoint, was the weakest of all the Power Rangers incarnations. The first season would've been unwatchable if not for its highly charismatic, photogenic, and athletically gifted cast.

And it's clear that NS was trying to be like MMPR, taking a comedic tone and focusing on hip teens, but the execution was very annoying and unfunny to me, and the cast was one of the least appealing.

Old May 14 2010, 10:18 PM   #29
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ I respect that analysis. NS is definitely what I like to call a 'split' season; it's got both its supporters and its detractors, but the supporters of the season aren't in the minority - overall - the way that the supporters of WF and MF are.

Speaking of MF, one of the problems that a lot of the PR fandom has with it is that most of the 'focus' was on the character of Nick at what many felt was the expense of the others.

Old May 14 2010, 10:26 PM   #30
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
I figured that this would be the best thread to post this in.

Linkara, who does the Atop the Fourth Wall comic reviews is currently working on an excellent History of Power Rangers video series.
Fantastic videos. I owe it to Linkara and those videos for getting me back into Power Rangers. I can't wait for his Space review.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote