Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23

Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

View Poll Results: Did you like the 'Bashir was genetically modified' retcon?
Yes, I think it was a good plot and it worked 35 47.30%
It was an interesting storyline, but I didn't completely buy it 25 33.78%
No, it made no sense 11 14.86%
I'm not sure 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2010, 09:34 PM   #76
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Re: Bashir's genetic modification: yes or no?

Exactly. I remember getting into a heated debate as to why they always cast African-Americans in the roles of Klingons....dude actually thought the guys playing MARTOK and GOWRON were black. All he had to go on was Michael Dorn and Tony Todd. When I corrected his assumption he said he was sorry.

What I want to know is why are all Romulan women so fricking hot and and sexy?

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 11:54 PM   #77
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Grant wrote: View Post
I haven't read every post in here so i don't know if anybody made this point...........

They took the only ' middle-eastern' character of any consequence in the 40+ year history of Trek and retroactively made him a retard that needed genetic engineering to be fit for Starfleet. I find that insulting.

I don't think that was lost on Siddig.
What, so only a white male would be eligible for this plot?

Anyway, I think what's ACTUALLY insulting that Bashir's parents were incapable of loving and appreciating their son, that they were USING him for some vicarious sense of accomplishment. Put bluntly, Bashir's dad did it because HE was a loser and insecure about himself, and felt like he would be judged on the basis of his son.
Old May 13 2010, 01:17 AM   #78
RobertScorpio
Pariah

That is not exactly the entire story, Nerys. His mother felt the same way, and defended the father's decision in the matter. Was she not telling the truth? Of course she was. She wanted for Bashir too.

And if anyone thinks that in the future, when the technology is here to do what they did, parents wouldn't take that chance really has no idea what they're talking about. If a parent could save their kid from defects at birth, mentally and physically, they would do it; STAR TREK ethics or not.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 01:45 AM   #79
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

The question, though, is where we cross the line from "difference" into "defect." And I think that would actually become MORE, not LESS questionable in a society where technology also offers greater support and where IF we buy the utopian vision of Earth, financial concerns or other resource concerns aren't an issue either. Our society is harsher than the one in the 24th century--survival itself would be a concern without the right support, and said support is no guarantee in our world, nor tolerance and understanding from those around a person. But if the 24th century DOES provide a better environment and someone with mental challenges is in a situation where he or she can thrive according to the best of their capabilities (and actually have support to TRULY discover what that very best is, which I think is sorely lacking in our time)...then I have serious questions about altering that person for our own vanity or sense of perfection.

I think that is also a very serious question we have to address, and one that seriously calls into question the idea that he had to be genetically altered or else. Again, didn't Jules Bashir have a right to live and to be valued? His parents (and if his mother was supporting the dad's decision I do include her) apparently did not think their son was good enough for them. And that's troubling.
Old May 13 2010, 03:02 PM   #80
Praxius
Fleet Captain

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Exactly. I remember getting into a heated debate as to why they always cast African-Americans in the roles of Klingons....dude actually thought the guys playing MARTOK and GOWRON were black. All he had to go on was Michael Dorn and Tony Todd. When I corrected his assumption he said he was sorry.

Rob
Don't forget:

GREAT SCOTT!!! Marty, we gotta go back to Star Date 265481.25 and 1/3 to stop Kirk from marrying your mother or else you'll never be born!!!
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 03:31 PM   #81
Navaros
Commodore

Grant wrote: View Post
And let me add this..............

Let's say in late season 3 of TOS it was revealed that Uhura--the only black regular character---had been born defective mentally and had required outlawed genetic engineering to be fit for Starfleet service. (Oh yeah and her dad was a loser con-man)

Do you honestly think that wouldn't have both pulled the rug out from under her character and insulted/hurt the black youngsters who looked up to her?

If you say, "no, it wouldn't have done that."----
you are a liar or stupid----in my humble opinion.
TOS did something very much equivalent and even worse IMO, in the Nomad episode. They have Uhura recite dialogue fit only for a pre-school child, in the exact same way that a pre-school child would recite it, and they also act like it's no big deal that Uhura's entire identity has been erased.

Are you outraged about the racist connotations of that too?
Navaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 03:40 PM   #82
CaseNumber825
Lieutenant

I remember reading about this about a week ago, and I can honestly they that I can see exactly where he's coming from.

I don't think the storyline was bad, but it's one thing to push that sudden revelation to the audience, but to surprise the actual actor playing the character, that's just somewhat rude, and a little bit disrespectful.

I think Siddig was only angry because he'd worked on the character for years and suddenly the whole basis of the character does a huge 180 and it turns out he's been lying to the federation for most of his life.
Perhaps if it'd been planned from the start of the show he could've then worked it into his performance. Take, for example, the episode 'The Abandoned' with the Genetically engineered Jem'Hadar. If it had been decided from the beginning that Bashir was Genetically Engineering he probably could worked something into his performance during that episode.

I just didn't like that it seemed like the writers obsession with having a Spock or Data character in the show.
CaseNumber825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 05:43 AM   #83
blueyes1181
Cadet

Praxius wrote: View Post
RobertScorpio wrote: View Post

Rob
Don't forget:

GREAT SCOTT!!! Marty, we gotta go back to Star Date 265481.25 and 1/3 to stop Kirk from marrying your mother or else you'll never be born!!!

couldn't you say Montgomery ? hmmm

okay lame joke... that is funny... genetic modification ? yes why not with strict guidelines

the thread is about an episode ? okay.. voted
blueyes1181 is offline   Reply With Quote