Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 14 2010, 12:08 AM   #16
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: NBC cancels Law & Order

Update from Deadline Hollywood:

Here's the latest news on this fast-moving story. A deal was in place if NBC picked up the Law & Order flagship for a 21st season consisting of 16 episodes. But insiders say Dick Wolf is now accusing the network of "reneging" on that deal: "He's so fucking angry, you have no idea." As recently as the start of this week, even NBCU chief Jeff Zucker was privately telling people that L&O would get one more season. That's certainly what Wolf and his longtime reps (UTA and Ziffren Brittenham legal eagle Cliff Gilbert) were led to believe. That is, until last night.

According to the arrangement already in place, NBC/Universal Media Studios was supposed to go to TNT and negotiate a new deal (the old one was up) whereby the cable channel would finance some original episodes of Law & Order in order to continue getting runs of the show. "And, for whatever reason, NBC was unwilling to engage in a serious way with TNT. They didn't do it. At the last minute, they said, 'we'll pick the show up and this is how we're going to do it'. Which was ludicrous." That's when NBC threw its agreement with Wolf out the window and demanded Wolf "finance the pickup of Law & Order out of all the money he's made. And he said, 'Go fuck yourself'," according to an insider. Another source explained the situation more politely: "Graboff broke off the negotiations last night when they fell apart based on Team Dick's unwillingness to make certain deal concessions deemed unreasonable."

But that's not all. Immediately, Team Dick contacted Gaspin. And that email exchange revealed that Gaspin didn't realize the show has been cancelled. But, this morning, NBC began calling reps for the show's stars and telling them, "We want to let you know before you read this on Nikki Finke."

Now Wolf wants to try to make a deal to take the Law & Order flagship to TNT, the same place that John Wells and Warner Bros took Southland after it, too, was cancelled by NBC. In that case, NBC tried to hold up the switch. And that could happen this time as well, or even something much more complicated since Law & Order is a UMS show.

It is possible, just possible, that this could be a game of chicken -- and NBC comes back to Wolf's reps with a better offer to save the show rather than risk the wrath of Wolf -- who, after all still has L&O: SVU, L&O: Criminal Intent, and the newest spinoff, L&O: Los Angeles -- or even worse, the flagship's rabid fans.

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; May 14 2010 at 12:33 AM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 12:12 AM   #17
Skywalker
Admiral

I don't watch L&O, but why the heck did they move it from Fridays? It was doing well there (for an NBC show/for a show on Friday), and probably could have lasted another couple of seasons on that night.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 12:21 AM   #18
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Those dodgy foreign shows never count.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 12:28 AM   #19
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

It's the record for longest-running prime-time drama in American broadcast history that its aiming for. There are other shows that have run for longer than Gunsmoke if you include other categories of programming. In the realm of American prime-time scripted programming, for instance, The Simpsons is currently in its 21st season and has been renewed for its 22nd season.
Old May 14 2010, 12:34 AM   #20
Mistral
Vice Admiral

I'm just trying to picture the idea of "no new L&O" on tv. I rarely watch primetime but if I do that is one of my go-to choices. The world has turned upside down.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 12:35 AM   #21
Snaploud
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Update from Deadline Hollywood:

Here's the latest news on this fast-moving story. A deal was in place if NBC picked up the Law & Order flagship for a 21st season consisting of 16 episodes. But insiders say Dick Wolf is now accusing the network of "reneging" on that deal: "He's so fucking angry, you have no idea." As recently as the start of this week, even NBCU chief Jeff Zucker was privately telling people that L&O would get one more season. That's certainly what Wolf and his longtime reps (UTA and Ziffren Brittenham legal eagle Cliff Gilbert) were led to believe. That is, until last night.

According to the arrangement already in place, NBC/Universal Media Studios was supposed to go to TNT and negotiate a new deal (the old one was up) whereby the cable channel would finance some original episodes of Law & Order in order to continue getting runs of the show. "And, for whatever reason, NBC was unwilling to engage in a serious way with TNT. They didn't do it. At the last minute, they said, 'we'll pick the show up and this is how we're going to do it'. Which was ludicrous." That's when NBC threw its agreement with Wolf out the window and demanded Wolf "finance the pickup of Law & Order out of all the money he's made. And he said, 'Go fuck yourself'," according to an insider. Another source explained the situation more politely: "Graboff broke off the negotiations last night when they fell apart based on Team Dick's unwillingness to make certain deal concessions deemed unreasonable."

But that's not all. Immediately, Team Dick contacted Gaspin. And that email exchange revealed that Gaspin didn't realize the show has been cancelled. But, this morning, NBC began calling reps for the show's stars and telling them, "We want to let you know before you read this on Nikki Finke."
Okay, that right there shows that they have no idea how to run a network. Unbelievable.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 12:40 AM   #22
wamdue
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
It's the record for longest-running prime-time drama in American broadcast history that its aiming for. There are other shows that have run for longer than Gunsmoke if you include other categories of programming. In the realm of American prime-time scripted programming, for instance, The Simpsons is currently in its 21st season and has been renewed for its 22nd season.
it has to be the US record, as The Bill lasted 27 years, another primetime cop show recently axed.

Heck there is a German Cop show that started in 1978 (making it 32) and that as far as I know is still on the air, dwarfing both The Bill & L&O in the cop show genre.

Its also had more than a few spin-offs (including one that crossed over with the before mentioned The Bill)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOKO_5113

Seems to be some confusion, I think its true, but its not 100% yet, if true this is a massive screw up by NBC
Old May 14 2010, 12:53 AM   #23
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Hi NBC.

Thank you for becoming the new Fox! Fox is really grateful!

L&O Viewers
Old May 14 2010, 01:08 AM   #24
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Why is the press trying to make this out to be some kind of Conan thing?

"Team Dick"? Really?

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 01:30 AM   #25
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

So... cancel a show that gets a decent amount of viewers for a show in its 20th year... and greenlight a spinoff set in a different city that might get cancelled in a few episodes. Makes sense!
Old May 14 2010, 01:32 AM   #26
Snaploud
Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Why is the press trying to make this out to be some kind of Conan thing?

"Team Dick"? Really?
Well, it may have something to do with backing out of an agreement (only to suggest something completely unreasonable in exchange).
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 01:51 AM   #27
Sheep
Vice Admiral

You guys act like you know what's better for NBC than NBC does.

If they don't cancel a proven show that has a small but very loyal audience, where are they going to put tomorrow's hits like The Marriage Ref (produced by comedy legend Jerry Seinfeld(TM)) and a newly retooled Jay Leno Show since everyone LOVES him as the ratings clearly indicate?
Old May 14 2010, 01:53 AM   #28
Teelie
Vice Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Hi NBC.

Thank you for becoming the new Fox! Fox is really grateful!

L&O Viewers
They began their transition into Fox when they did this to Conan as far as I'm concerned.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 01:56 AM   #29
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
So... cancel a show that gets a decent amount of viewers for a show in its 20th year... and greenlight a spinoff set in a different city that might get cancelled in a few episodes. Makes sense!

And let's face it - what's Los Angeles going to bring that New York doesn't? Guess there's no Hudson river for bodies to be found in.

Everyone L&O spin off has had something to differntiate it. Even setting it London you've got a different legal system to deal with (no death penalty to barter with) but L&0:LA by like the CSI spin offs - same shit different city & cast.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 02:39 AM   #30
MichaelDornFan
Lieutenant Commander

Awful news. The change to Monday has not worked for well L&O, but its Friday numbers were pretty impressive given the bad night and bad network.

They should hold off on Los Angeles or any other spin-off until SVU ends.
MichaelDornFan is offline   Reply With Quote