Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 13 2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

NBC cancels Law & Order

From Deadline Hollywood:

This one is a shocker. Veteran crime drama Law & Order will not get its shot at history after all. I hear that after long deliberations, NBC has decided to cancel the long-running procedural, which will end its run at 20 seasons, tied with Gunsmoke. This is very surprising as NBC brass had indicated lately that they would bring L&O for a record-breaking 21st season. But with strong development, especially on the drama side, and soft ratings for L&O, NBC apparently opted not to keep the aging series, which spawned several successful spinoffs. The latest, Law & Order: Los Angeles, will launch next season. L&O's renewal by NBC was also contingent on securing a sizable commitment from the series' cable home TNT whose off-network deal for the show was up at the end of this season.
Old May 13 2010, 10:41 PM   #2
The Fatman
Captain

Send a message via AIM to The Fatman
Re: NBC cancels Law & Order

wow.

really, wow. I just commented in another thread I didn't believe they'd ever cancel the show unless it was actively losing money. I guess without TNT that day is here already.
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Update: Michael Ausiello and The Futon Critic are saying that the cancellation isn't quite finalized yet and that last-minute negotiations are still ongoing. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.
Old May 13 2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I really would like to see L&O break the record. I hope this isn't true.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 10:56 PM   #5
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

What the fuck are you doing NBC?!?!

Your new drama shows will fucking fail like every other fucking thing you fucking do these days! You are a failure of a network!

L&O on a Friday night with no ads on a forth place network got over seven million viewers! Sure the demo sucked, but that's 7 million viewers on a network no one give a fuck about! If they become any worse they would have to change their name is CW!

13 episode 21st season to "close" the show off, that's it. Break the record, have tons of ads about it, and when ALL of NBC's new dramas do horrible because they are crap then they have a back up to fill in the wholes.

I mean really, in the last several years the only hour long shows that made it more than a season have been Heroes and Chuck, really sad.
Old May 13 2010, 11:12 PM   #6
Winged Victory
Captain

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
What the fuck are you doing NBC?!?!

Your new drama shows will fucking fail like every other fucking thing you fucking do these days! You are a failure of a network!

L&O on a Friday night with no ads on a forth place network got over seven million viewers! Sure the demo sucked, but that's 7 million viewers on a network no one give a fuck about! If they become any worse they would have to change their name is CW!

13 episode 21st season to "close" the show off, that's it. Break the record, have tons of ads about it, and when ALL of NBC's new dramas do horrible because they are crap then they have a back up to fill in the wholes.

I mean really, in the last several years the only hour long shows that made it more than a season have been Heroes and Chuck, really sad.
QFT! I could not agree with you more...what is wrong with the morons at NBC??? They have the best cast in YEARS, the writing has been terrific, and they are ONE year from breaking the record and NBC wants to cancel it? It makes no sense!

The show did very well on Fridays, like you said. The fans followed it there. Then they shuffle it to Mondays against Castle and CSI Miami. Of course NBC isn't going to get the same demos...if they cancel it because of this, I'll blow a gasket.

After the way they treated Conan over the Tonight show, I will be SOOO done with NBC if they cancel L&O....and I don't care if next fall's hit show is somehow, miraculously, on their network, I will not watch ever again.

Stupid NBC! I really hope that they will see the light and give it one more year... I'm so angry about this.

Last edited by Winged Victory; May 13 2010 at 11:59 PM.
Winged Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 11:26 PM   #7
wamdue
Admiral

they axed it because it had 7 million viewers? does NBC not realise most of its other shows get 2/3s of that if they are lucky
Old May 13 2010, 11:27 PM   #8
wamdue
Admiral

they axed it because it had 7 million viewers? does NBC not realise most of its other shows get 2/3s of that if they are lucky
Old May 13 2010, 11:27 PM   #9
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

But....but....Law & Order is ALWAYS on. How could it NOT be?

*sigh*

I mean, really----the network is already down the toilet. Would it really kill them to go for one more season?
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 11:27 PM   #10
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

From James Hibberd at The Hollywood Reporter:

Reports are circling that NBC has canceled the longest-running drama currently on broadcast one season before it would have made TV history.

NBC is not commenting on the stories, with one reporter citing an executive producer on the show who heard the news from Dick Wolf's office.

If true, "Law & Order" will end its run after 20 seasons -- one more and it will have beat "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running drama in TV history.

Though NBC was expected to pick up the veteran series, this season's ratings have been dismal and the network is supposedly largely pleased with its new crop of drama series (which include, but is not limited to, J.J. Abrams' "Undercovers," and conspiracy thriller "The Event").
Old May 13 2010, 11:32 PM   #11
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
If true, "Law & Order" will end its run after 20 seasons -- one more and it will have beat "Gunsmoke" as the longest-running drama in TV history.
*cough*Doctor Who*cough*
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 11:40 PM   #12
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

First the Conan debacle, now this. What idiots are running NBC?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2010, 11:43 PM   #13
Snaploud
Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
*cough*Doctor Who*cough*
*cough*Guiding Light*cough*
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 12:02 AM   #14
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Lindley wrote: View Post
*cough*Doctor Who*cough*
*cough*Guiding Light*cough*
I guess they meant to say "longest-running prime-time American drama", but thought that would be too wordy.

Anyway, if this is true, I'm sorry to hear it. The current cast gels pretty well, and from a creative standpoint, the show has seemed better than it has been in some of the more recent seasons. I would've liked to have seen it break the record.

I must admit, though, I've had a tough time following the show this year. First it was airing on Fridays, now it's... what, Monday? Between NBC moving it around and my crazy, irregular work schedule, I haven't been able to watch too many episodes. Usually, I just end up catching the reruns on Saturday, if I can...
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2010, 12:08 AM   #15
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

NBC has shown time and time again that they clearly do not know what they are doing...I still remember the season before "Friends" ended that they were planning on canceling or ending it a year prior but couldn't find a suitable replace for that Thursday night time slot and decided to bring the show back for one last time. Then of course the debacle with Conan and Jay early this year.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote