Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old May 12 2010, 12:43 PM   #16
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Re: Why did spock end up in the alternate universe??

Neither universe is the Prime Universe, since both have different Stardate systems.
Old May 12 2010, 12:52 PM   #17
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Spock slingshots backwards (in a ship other that the Mega-prise) to a point before Nero arrives when the two universes are still one. Then Spock slingshots forward into the future of the prime universe (his universe) to a point immediately after he left the future, Where the universe branches, he moves into the correct branch.
Sounds so easy a child could do it.

If time travel was that easy, everybody would be doing it.
Old May 12 2010, 12:58 PM   #18
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Why was Spock spit out from a different white hole (the theoretical other end of the black hole)? Shouldn't there have been a white hole travelling through the galaxy for 25 years and longer?
Old May 12 2010, 01:01 PM   #19
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Spock slingshots backwards (in a ship other that the Mega-prise) to a point before Nero arrives when the two universes are still one. Then Spock slingshots forward into the future of the prime universe (his universe) to a point immediately after he left the future, Where the universe branches, he moves into the correct branch.
Sounds so easy a child could do it.

If time travel was that easy, everybody would be doing it.
It was that easy in TOS and The Voyage Home. And since everybody could be doing it, there's the Temoral Investigators and those timeships like the Relativity.

He could have also went to the Guardian for time travel.

*edit*
Sorry about the double post.
Old May 12 2010, 02:07 PM   #20
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Why was Spock spit out from a different white hole (the theoretical other end of the black hole)? Shouldn't there have been a white hole travelling through the galaxy for 25 years and longer?
The black holes in the film didn't have much in common with real ones. The film black hole acted much more like a cross between an unstable wormhole, opening up in random places, and that time vortex from VOY: "Future's End", where a few seconds on one side is equates to several years on the other.

Unlike the concept art, the thing that spat Spock out clearly wasn't white.
Old May 12 2010, 02:13 PM   #21
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

USS Excelsior wrote: View Post
Neither universe is the Prime Universe, since both have different Stardate systems.
The writers decide that stardates should make sense now, and it gets used as "proof" that Nimoy Spock isn't from Classic Trek, undermining the whole point of his cameo.
Old May 12 2010, 04:41 PM   #22
I-Am-Zim
Captain

Circumstantial Evidence?

Okay, just to stir the pot a little.

There has been a theory floating around various Trek discussion forums, including this one, that OldSpock and Nero may not be from the original universe that we know and love (despite what the writers would have us believe). I am a very vocal proponent of this theory. And there are several reasons for this. First, we know what TNG-era 24th century Romulans look like.
This is a TNG-era Romulan.

And we also know what Nero and his fellow Abramsverse Rommies look like.
This is Nero.

Notice the differences? TNG Rommies have hair. They also have very pronounced eyebrow and forhead ridges. Abramsverse Rommies are bald and tatooed. Horatio calls them "Tatoomulans". That sounds appropriate. Notice also that Nero has no eyebrow or forehead ridges. In fact, the only thing that the Abramsverse Rommies have in common with the original universe versions is their pointy ears. And even those aren't exactly right.

Then there's the Narada. Again, we know what Romulan starships look like.
This is a TNG-era Warbird.

We know from TNG and the TNG-era movies what the 24th century Romulan design aesthetic is. The Narada follows none of the design parameters of the established 24th century Romulan designs. I know that according to "Countdown", the Narada is supposedly Borgified. But that is not established in the movie. According to the on screen dialogue, the Narada "is a simple mining vessel". If that is the case, then why is it five times as big as a warbird and more powerful?

Based on these obvious differences, I would have to surmise that Nero and OldSpock are not from the original TOS/TNG universe that we know. They are probably from a similar, yet slightly different alternate universe where Romulans evolved without eyebrow ridges, developed an affinity for Darth Maul facial tatoos, and applied their technology to the mining industry rather than the military. This would explain why they didn't have the technology to stop the star from destroying their planet and needed help from the more technologically advanced Vulcans and Federation.

Considering that Romulans of the 24th century TNG-era can make their own artificial black holes to power their starships, it would stand to reason that they would not need Spock to take out the supernova. They were technologically advanced enough to do it themselves.

This is all just a theory which seems to fit the facts (as seen on screen). I tend to agree with this. It makes sense. To me, there's no way that "our" Spock would allow his home planet to be destroyed. However, OldSpock is probably intellegent enough to know that he came through the black hole/temporal whatchamajigger into an alternate universe and that the Vulcan that was destroyed wasn't "his" home world. That's probably why he wasn't too keen on slingshotting around the sun and fixing everyghing. We know he knew how to do it. Unless, of course, this Spock had never done that maneuver in his universe??? Hmmmm. We may never know.

I know. I just love to stir the pot.

Note: Unfortunately, the pics won't show if you're not logged in to startrekmovie.com at the same time. Sorry. If this forum would let me post pics from my hard drive like startrekmovie.com does, you would be able to see what the heck I'm talking about.
Old May 12 2010, 06:07 PM   #23
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Re: Circumstantial Evidence?

Too lazy to read the whole thing, so I'll address the first issue regarding the Romulans.

Weren't there Romulans with hair when Spock Prime melds with Kirk? And the eyebrow ridges weren't there during TOS.
Old May 12 2010, 06:46 PM   #24
I-Am-Zim
Captain

MvRojo wrote: View Post
Too lazy to read the whole thing, so I'll address the first issue regarding the Romulans.

Weren't there Romulans with hair when Spock Prime melds with Kirk? And the eyebrow ridges weren't there during TOS.
But Nero isn't a TOS Romulan. He's from the 24th century.
Old May 12 2010, 06:57 PM   #25
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

It's arguable. The ludicrous design and power differential of the Narada are the strongest pointers since it's entirely possible that a side effect of working on the mining ship is hair/ridge loss.

I think they could probably have made the Narada a more credible threat if Nero had been portrayed as intelligent rather than just awesomely powerful. As a renegade with future knowledge he could have gathered some interesting forces to his banner in the 25 years he has to hang around. I realise that they didn't have a whole lot of time to spend on him because they had to introduce a lot of characters but it was a bit of a waste.
Old May 12 2010, 07:37 PM   #26
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Rabid lover of the totally separate universe's idea, just don't think that the universe shown after the Narada's arrival could have made THAT many changes in a mere quarter century solely because one ship (Kirk's dad's) was destroyed. So probabaly the universe that Nero emerged into was already substancially different place to start with, simular in some ways yes, but still a separate alternate parallel universe.
Old May 12 2010, 07:38 PM   #27
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

double post.
Old May 12 2010, 07:43 PM   #28
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Welcome to last year. Enjoy your stay.
Old May 12 2010, 07:44 PM   #29
I-Am-Zim
Captain

Rabid lover of the totally separate universe's idea, just don't think that the universe shown after the Narada's arrival could have made THAT many changes in a mere quarter century solely because one ship (Kirk's dad's) was destroyed. So probabaly the universe that Nero emerged into was already substancially different place to start with, simular in some ways yes, but still a separate alternate parallel universe.
That's another theory I completely agree with. I think that OldSpock and Nero emerged in an alternate universe that was similar, but still substantially different than the one they came from. Again, despite what the writers would have us believe. That would explain a great many things that simply don't add up in the movie.
Old May 12 2010, 07:47 PM   #30
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile

Could you please respect what the writers tried to do and leave the film alone please another STXI lover here I'm getting tired of people nitpicking every single bloody detail of the movie for goodness sake it's just a film.
Closed Thread