Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Which Captain would you like to serve under?
James T. Kirk 10 14.29%
Spock 2 2.86%
Christopher Pike 2 2.86%
Jean-Luc Picard 23 32.86%
Benjamin Sisko 22 31.43%
Kathryn Janeway 7 10.00%
Jonathan Archer 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 11 2010, 11:59 PM   #16
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: Which Captain Would you like to Serve Under?

what no option for Captain Sulu on the Excelsior?

oh well, eeny meeny miney picard
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 01:32 AM   #17
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Are we going to have a new poll of this issue every month or just every other month now?

23rd century = Captain Kirk
24th century = Captain Jellico
22nd century = put me in stasis for 100 years or so
Old May 12 2010, 01:33 AM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

In no particular order: Sisko, Pike, Archer. *Maybe* Picard.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 03:28 AM   #19
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

I just realized Maj, technically Riker could be a candidate too, since he was made a captain in the movie.

I think he has the same command presence as the others - seems relaxed and approachable too.

But the main thing with TNG, is that the authority figures on there don't really seem accessible to lower ranking crew members.

They seem a little more colder and stick within their inner group more.

Picard, Geordi and even Riker would act annoyed or distant when interacting with some crew members, in certain episodes.

Only in some episodes, most of the time they seem easy going.

Sisko playing baseball or hanging out at with the other crew members, or being one of Worf's best men, is what sealed it -if Picard did something like that, I might have edged towards him.

Janeway was the same way, but I didn't get quite enough info from her to make her first on the list.

Last edited by Nightdiamond; May 12 2010 at 07:16 AM.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 03:42 AM   #20
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Sisko, easily. With very few incidents to the contrary, I trust him to exercise good judgment in placing and developing his personnel, and I trust him above any of the other commanders to make wise decisions when it comes to crunch time--might he be intimidating to some? Yes, but I would have confidence in him. Plus, it's not like Sisko is without diplomatic cred--his balancing act as Emissary more than proves he's capable of handling it. He can speak softly when he needs to, but there's no doubt he's carrying a big stick and he's not afraid to use it. He is, in fact, the only Starfleet captain on that list I know for sure I would willingly serve under.

(Trek XI Pike, however...if I saw more from him, I think he might be a good possibility as well, but I haven't yet seen enough from him to be AS sure as I am with Sisko.)

Picard I would not trust to handle a crisis situation, or not to abandon me for some political purpose. I also do not trust that Picard would be able to accept me as I am, which is a member of his own species but with very different beliefs and opinions than his. Nor could I ever trust him. On both sides, I do not believe the working relationship would be a very successful one.

Kirk--I cannot respect him, thanks to the way he treats women. I would never know if I was getting a fair performance appraisal or appropriate mission assignments, thanks to his wandering eye. He was a man of action, yes, but not as tempered as Sisko, and sometimes downright reckless and did not seem to have much regard for the lives under his command. (Whereas we see that Sisko was VERY much tormented by that, and did not take his subordinates' lives lightly.)

Janeway and Archer...I do not trust either one's decision-making capacity sufficiently, or their ability to see past their whims in the moment. Someone that wildly inconsistent would scare the hell out of me.
Old May 12 2010, 03:50 AM   #21
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

How about alien captains?

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 04:03 AM   #22
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

MLB--Any particular ones you're interested in hearing opinions on?

Last edited by Nerys Ghemor; May 12 2010 at 04:58 AM.
Nerys Ghemor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 04:22 AM   #23
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

James T. Motherf'in' Kirk. Check his birth certificate, that's his actual name.

Seriously, though, Nerys, sexist? Sounds like you're buying into the silly stereotype of Kirk as the guy who bedded thousands of green aliens in a three year show. Where's the actual evidence? "I've already got a female to worry about. Her name is Enterprise." That guy was all duty. There are only three episodes that I can think of that even broach the topic of relations between him and his crew - Dagger of the Mind and Mirror, Mirror. In DOTM, he's not pursuing the leading lass, it's her mechanizations that put him under the influence of the mind control ray, and even in the end, he overcomes the brainwashing of his own accord and willpower without having to rely on a plot device to free him of the ravages of the Neural Neutralizer. In the other episode, Kirk jokes that he thinks that he and (normal universe) Marlena 'could be friends', which more of a sly reference to what happened in the mirror universe than a statement of actual intent.

The third episode is the one I quoted above, The Naked Time - Kirk's got something of a fancy for Janice Rand, it seems, but it's immediately tempered by his sense of duty. 'No hand to hold, no beach to walk on...' etc. The show specifically demonstrates that Kirk's attraction to females under his command is nullified by his role as Captain, and I find it hard to label him as sexist given the clear evidence otherwise. He certainly wasn't afraid to assign landing party duties to females alongside the male crewmembers, even if they occassionally got turned into giant sugar cubes and crushed in an alien fist.
Old May 12 2010, 02:32 PM   #24
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Wow I'm shocked Sisko is neck and neck..he's not really ranked that high in popularity polls. He's also the captain from "In the Pale Moonlight" and his relationship with the wormhole aliens and the Bajoran religion would lead me not to trust him very much. Early in his appearance on the show it was a different issue...the Borg and loss of his wife that made him suspect..since he treated a fellow officer rather poorly about it. He also sulked about his command of DS9! Yeah, not really a good first choice.

I'd have to choose Picard...he has the right balance of leadership skills, diplomacy, and military know-how to get the job done. He also has a finely honed sense of morality and justice..not above breaking the rules if necessary, but he doesn't flaunt them like Kirk.

RAMA
Old May 12 2010, 09:27 PM   #25
TerokNor
Captain

I voted for Sisko. He has authority, but it seems to me, superior or no, he is open for and interessted in his crews thoughts, worries and lifes....and one could even argue with him. He is one, who would try everything in his power to help a crew member and not abandom one, also when just a "low" officer. Also I think he would be very fair.

TerokNor
TerokNor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 11:49 PM   #26
Elzie
Lieutenant

I voted for Picard. probably because...

I can't really say anything about Pike, there's only that 1 ep with him. Neither have I seen enough Spock as the real captain (of course he did have the command from time to time).

i don't watch ENT

Janeway? No way. (not that I've seen much of her. But it was enough.)

It's hard to say about Sisko. I've seen only some episodes on DS9. I'd like to see more, but I can't...
I guess he's okay...

I like Kirk, but...I wouldn't want to be one of those security men on his ship... The others do stay alive, but...I don't know.

And if nothing else, Picard seems like you can trust him. Of course there's lot more, but I can't really come up with anything right now...it's about 2am...
Elzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 11:49 PM   #27
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

RAMA--In the Pale Moonlight is a demerit against Sisko, but very much an aberration. As far as his relationship with Bajor, and his faith, I do not think it is fair to hold his heritage, or what eventually becomes his religion, against him.

As to Picard, I do not agree about his sense of "morality and justice." He is good at being a stickler to regulations, but NOT very good about considering the lives that he is impacting...recognizing, in other words, situations where a form of civil disobedience is the only moral answer. This man has stood by and allowed WORLDS to be destroyed...and I'm not even talking about when he was Locutus of Borg. And again, I also find him intolerant and would be extremely distrustful of his ability to deal with a human with views different than his.
Old May 13 2010, 02:02 AM   #28
Vonstadt
Captain

I went with 'The Sisko'.

He has all of the best of Kirk and Picard rolled into one deep, driven officer. Kirk is the captain I would've loved to serve under when i was younger, maybe as an admiral I would love to have a Picard on my staff....

But now I would feel the most confident in Sisko, he was bad ass when he needed to be and accessible when you needed him to be. Just look at the 'Seige of Ar-558'. A classic episode I would cite to why I would serve with him.

Vons
Old May 13 2010, 02:48 AM   #29
Kai Winn
Captain

janeway or archer of course. you forgot jellico in your poll. he's got a lot of fans despite riker satisfyingly explaining why he's a dreadful captain. divine sisko isn't far better.
Old May 13 2010, 03:48 AM   #30
Guardian Bob
Lieutenant Commander

I would say Archer, because of the ship, but also because they were one of the first, so most of what they explore is new!

Also, not Kirk because I don't want to die.
Guardian Bob is offline   Reply With Quote