Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old April 13 2010, 03:45 PM   #61
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: Is there a lack of creativity in NuBSG Costumes and culture Lack

MetroKid wrote: View Post
Here is the relevant port of the Series Bible regarding the contemporary look of the show:
Culture and Society

Colonial society is very similar to 21st century Earth society and can be considered a parallel world for all intents and purposes. People watch TV, they follow professional sports, they use telephones, drive cars, have apartments, battle bureaucracies, wear ties, etc. etc.

This is a deliberate creative choice -- we are not trying to present a society of "weird space people." The people of Galactica and their world have been intentionally designed to evoke present-day American society as a way of drawing the viewer into the drama instead of wowing them with the trappings of a completely fantastical culture and society. Clearly, there are differences, but our creative intention is to make this series about us, rather than a fictitious them.
Source: http://leethomson.myzen.co.uk/Battlestar_Galactica/
I initially misread this as from the Caprica series bible. But it is the same franchise and Caprica is the series with costume issues. BSG proper had uniforms and (supposedly) random scraps of travel clothing.

To answer the question, given the imitation of Mad Men, no.

Edited for horrible misreading of quote

Last edited by stj; April 13 2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old April 13 2010, 04:50 PM   #62
David cgc
Vice Admiral

You know Mad Men premiered in 2007, and Battlestar Galactica (and the Writers' Bible from which that was quoted) dates to 2003, right?
Old April 13 2010, 05:27 PM   #63
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
I'm assuming he's thinking of Caprica, which apes some more 1950s elements of fashion, and is post-Mad Men to boot.

But Battlestar Galactica wasn't one for fedoras; so I think the description given the bible is something the show fairly well realised.
Old April 13 2010, 09:34 PM   #64
stj
Rear Admiral

Yes, I was including Caprica in nuBSG. While I still think Caprica also wants to be about "us" but still imitates Mad Men (despite projecting new technololgy when it wants,) I did misread the quote as from the Caprica series bible. My error, sorry.
Old April 13 2010, 09:39 PM   #65
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Is there a lack of creativity in NuBSG Costumes and culture
No.
Old April 17 2010, 12:18 PM   #66
3D Master
Rear Admiral

Teiwaz wrote: View Post
Does anybody have a problem with the costumes on the NuBSG?
Yes.
Old April 24 2010, 04:10 AM   #67
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

^ Care to elaborate?
Old April 24 2010, 04:13 AM   #68
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Teiwaz wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Starfleet uniforms may look cool, but I bet they're a real bitch for the actors to wear
As regards the Starfleet Uniforms, I seem to recall something about the ones worn in the first series causing medical complaints so much that they had to be redesigned for following series.
Yep. The one-piece uniforms worn in the first two seasons were causing back problems for the actors wearing them. The two-piece jobs were considered to be much more comfortable. (And a lot more professional looking, IMHO.)
Old May 7 2010, 08:45 PM   #69
Teiwaz
Lieutenant

Location: Physical:UK, Mental:The Sea of Tranquility, Spiritual: The Heart of the Sun

I started this thread some time ago, asking If there was a lack of creativity in the costumes in NuBSG. I'd just watched about half of the first series and the miniseries and I came away feeling something was lacking from the show.

I don't think I worded the question right, or if I really understood what the question was.
The costumes of a parallel-seeming world being identical to western-society shouldn't have bothered me, but they did. Perhaps I was boxed in by my preconceptions having grown up with the original BSG.

I understand the logic of the 'bible' reasons for the costume choices in that the producers wanted the audience to identify with the characters. I understand the concepts of a 'racial memory' idea, and of the idea of history as a 'cycle'.

I also appreciate budget concerns RE: multiple costumes and design costs.

However I still feel something was lacking. I felt the same way about Heroes, and the episode of V 2009 a friend showed me recently left me feeling the same way. It reminded me of the Stargate SG1 episodes about the A-Shen, the boring humourless and sneaky planet-stealers, and that was before the Visitors appeared on-screen. It felt similar to NuBSG, it felt like cold steel girders and glass, the structure was solid but it felt cold and empty.

I haven't seen Caprica yet, nor the new Star Trek movie, so I can't judge if this is something in the recent spate of SCi-Fi that turns me off.

Is it the current trend toward 'realistic' visions of the future or is it the vision of a future without optimism, even the Cyberpunk genre had more warmth than I've seen recently.
Old May 8 2010, 12:16 AM   #70
Peter the Younger
Commodore

I get what RDM was trying to do, for both stylistic and budgetary reasons, but personally, I would have nudged it just a teeny tiny bit farther away from recognizable 21st century fashion. Personally I kind of liked Baltar's suit in the miniseries (although I wouldn't want everybody to wear theirs quite that tight.) There are other little cultural things that don't quite gel with his explanation, either, but I can't really discuss them without getting into heavy spoiler territory.

Old May 8 2010, 12:51 AM   #71
Teiwaz
Lieutenant

Location: Physical:UK, Mental:The Sea of Tranquility, Spiritual: The Heart of the Sun

Peter the Younger wrote: View Post
I get what RDM was trying to do, for both stylistic and budgetary reasons, but personally, I would have nudged it just a teeny tiny bit farther away from recognizable 21st century fashion. Personally I kind of liked Baltar's suit in the miniseries (although I wouldn't want everybody to wear theirs quite that tight.) There are other little cultural things that don't quite gel with his explanation, either, but I can't really discuss them without getting into heavy spoiler territory.
Exactly my feelings on the matter. Parallels are okay, exact copies just feel wrong. I'll have to watch the miniseries again to see how I feel about Baltars suit, about I seem to recall I thought it was okay. It was the Presidential staff suits I thought broke the vision for me.

I haven't gotten much further than halfway through the first series as I was away April, so I can't say that I have any experience of the deeper cultural traits of the show. What I saw of the religion was pretty lame, but then I thought the Minbari religious practices were badly realised in B5, the G'Qon ceremony for all its much smaller segment and less relevance was far better, I hear even some groups are using G'Kars words in their rites.