Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade Iron Man 2
Excellent 60 36.36%
Above Average 67 40.61%
Average 29 17.58%
Below Average 6 3.64%
Terrible 3 1.82%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7 2010, 09:01 PM   #136
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: Iron Man 2 - Grading & Discussion Thread (spoilers guaranteed)

Also, Bethany Cabe's badge is Captain America's shield design.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2010, 09:02 PM   #137
Data Holmes
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Data Holmes wrote: View Post
That end battle was about 20 to 30 min's too short.
20 to 30 minutes?!

I could see it being longer, I suppose, but not that long!
Yes, I figured about 5 to 7 min's longer for the fight with the Hammeroids, and 15 to 20 min's longer for the fight with whiplash. But that's just me. I hate final fights that end in under 9 min's.
Old May 7 2010, 09:05 PM   #138
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm not a fan of rushed final fights either, and the Whiplash fight could have been longer, but I also hate it when fights drag out. Honestly, I thought the fight between Stark and Rhodey went on for too long.
Old May 7 2010, 10:09 PM   #139
Dream
Admiral

I saw the film at midnight. It was very good, but it could have been better. Above Average.

The most exciting part of the entire movie was the first fight between Whiplash and Iron Man on the racetrack. I wasn't a big fan of the Tony dying plot since I never really got the feeling that he was any kind of danger. It should have focused entirely on his alcohol problem, but I was glad his drinking problem was there. The middle section of the movie dragged a little, but it came back with a strong finish. As usual RDJ did a great job, along with all the supporting actors. Mickey Rourke did well with what he was given. I watched Moon recently and loved it, and was very surprised to see Sam Rockwell as Hammer, which he was very funny as.

The way Happy Hogan ended his fist fight with the guard and War Machine using the "Ex-Wife" on Whiplash got the biggest laughs from the audience that I was with. The Iron Man movies have always had much better humor than the Spider-Man movies.

Now it's time to use Mandarin in Iron Man 3!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2010, 10:56 PM   #140
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Somewhere between Average and Above Average. I thought the best scenes were Tony Stark just goofing off. Mickey Rourke was criminally underutilized. They could have made a really great villain out of him, but he comes across as very one dimensional.
Old May 7 2010, 11:08 PM   #141
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Man, I can't wait for Thor. I do hope it's more Asgard and magic and that rather than taking the Ultimates route.

I noticed they flashed past thor in the movie too fast also, when tony was walking down the police hallway to talk to venko.
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2010, 11:11 PM   #142
Dream
Admiral

One of the few problems I had with the movie was the music during first fight between Iron Man and War Machine at the party. After Tony got drunk they started to fight. Tony was putting everyone in danger and needed to be taken down quickly. I think the scene was suppose to show how low Tony had fallen as a person and the possible destruction of a friendship, but it felt like they were going for humor with the music. It should have been way more serious.

Last edited by Dream; May 7 2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old May 7 2010, 11:18 PM   #143
Checkmate
Commodore

Yeah, it wasn't the best filmed scene in the movie. But the point of it still got across, at least for anyone with half a brain cell. Tony was a depressed drunkard who was convinced he was probably going to be dead by morning, and Rhodey was trying to settle him down the only way he could since Tony decided to put on his armor. It was the classic knock-some-sense-into-him scene, just with power armor and a poor choice of music.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2010, 11:32 PM   #144
Dream
Admiral

I also think the finale needed a bigger body count. It seemed like not a single innocent person got killed or injured. Those drones really sucked.
Old May 7 2010, 11:35 PM   #145
Lt. Trull
Fleet Captain

that kid though was cool..... that little boy stood his ground and was even ready to take action....
If i was tony... I make sure that boy had some life help and was the inheritor of the suit....
Lt. Trull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2010, 11:40 PM   #146
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Iron Man 2 - C-

I was very disappointed in this film. It seemed like the movie wanted to sacrifice plot for Tony Stark's witty one liners and humor. Granted, I thought that was the best part of the movie (Downy Jr. as Stark once again was the best part, as was the case in Iron Man 2) and I actually was enjoying it until we got to the ending.

Mickey Rourke was criminally underused in this movie. Was he even the villain? It was hard to tell because the only time other than the ending we saw him face to face with Iron Man was in Morocco. However, where was the epic battle sequence at the end. I liked the battle sequence in the first one because it felt like the right length, and it was the climax to the story. With this one, the battle sequence was so short and so "not-there" that it felt like the movie just stopped.

Also, other than two songs, where was AC/DC. Looked forward to Tunderstruck in all the surround sound glory and it wasn't there. Also, what about the scene in the commercial with Iron Man having to retrieve the helmet. I guess it was just a commercial, but it would have been appropriate in the movie.

Overall, I left feeling like I wanted more and not very satisfied. It could have been a great movie (It was definitely fun) but the ending almost ruined it.
Old May 8 2010, 01:24 AM   #147
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

Just got back, and my son and I enjoyed it very much! The AC/DC soundtrack was excellent (big AC/DC fan here) and RDJ was perfect as Tony yet again. Mickey Roarke was good too, and agree he was underused (why was he Russian? He might have had more lines!) I like how Pepper had more to do than just take care of Tony (which I guess by the end, she is again, but as the 'stable-ish girlfriend)

Credits call-out to Thor was cute, but a shameless plug for the movie

An above average for me. Only slightly less than the excellent for the first

ETA: the Canada joke got a good laugh in our theatre!

LJ

LJ2
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2010, 01:28 AM   #148
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I called the first movie a good wish fulfillment fantasy. We were taken into the world of a guy who's super rich, has a house on the coast, a cool high tech lab, fast cars, rare cars, supermodels at his side and an armored suit he invented which he uses to fight bad guys. And this new movie brought us even more of that. Robert Downey Jr. in particular brought humor, pizzazz and charisma to Tony Stark and I had a great time watching him play it up. I have to say though that Downey Jr. was playing himself and I'm surprised no one pointed this out, but he was still good. The movie was extravagant and sensationalistic, and just like Tony at the Expo, it wasn't afraid to show that off.

I also liked that this movie wasn't your typical superhero movie where the hero has to keep his identity a secret and his two lives seperate. Seeing the hero get carried away embracing the celebrity life due to his heroics was a welcome and refreshing change from the norm. Those little moments like where we see Tony in a coffee shop in his suit were especially nice touches. And picking up strawberries? "Hey Iron Man!" Good stuff.

Unfortunately, pretty much everything that was good about the movie took place in the first half. Like a lot of you folks here, I thought the movie deteriorated into a generic big-budget acton piece.

In the end, I'm giving the movie as a whole an "above average", down from an "excellent", which the first half was.

More stuff...

- Loved Gary Shandling as the senator, especially his line at the end.

- Mickey Rourke did a fantastic job as the dirty rotten baddie.

- The race in Monaco, Vanko cutting everything up and Tony suiting up? Impressive.

- The science was spot on. I'm kidding.

- Green Lantern's wife was hot, but I liked Paltrow. She was ravishing. [Tony Stark]I want one.[/Tony Stark]

- I had no problem with Sam Rockwell's performance. He delivered some great camp.

- I don't like recasting, but Cheadle didn't bother me much.

- Over the last year, there was a lot of hype about Olivia Munn being cast in this movie. She had a super secret role and couldn't discuss it. Rumor had it that she was going to play Iron Maiden. Then the movie comes out and she's a reporter onscreen for 1.3 milliseconds. I heard that her original part was cut and a new scene was done and put in. What was her initial role? Does anyone know the full story here?

- Why did Tony allow Rhodes (I'm not calling him Rhodie) to take the suit?

- The end fight wasn't too long. Rourke met his end surprisingly quick, but I'm okay with that. It's better these things not drag out too long.

Ethros wrote: View Post
Just another thought, I think it also suffered being one of those films where "if you've seen the trailer you've seen the film"
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I don't think he means it suffered in the box office. I think he means the story suffered because the previews gave too much away.
I went in not knowing that Tony was dying.

MNM wrote: View Post
I've seen a few complaints here and there that Iron Man wasnt in it enough.
I thought he was in it enough. Besides, I liked seeing Stark revelling in his Iron Man celebrity status even more. I've seen enough action and fighting in other movies of this type. This one did it differently.

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
How big of a role does Kate Mara()'s Bethany Cabe play in the movie?
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Honestly I don't even remember seeing her...and Kate Mara is too hot to be missed...perhaps the others that have seen it can recall themselves. I'm pretty sure I don't remember seeing her.
I saw her, but didn't hear what she said. I was too busy wondering how she managed to do so well in Aragorn's Genre Babe thread.

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Or maybe Scarlett can't do a convincing Russian accent. If that's the case, then keeping the American accent would be preferable to some of the terrible fake accents that have made it to the screen.
It's Kevin Coster all over again.

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Man, I can't wait for Thor. I do hope it's more Asgard and magic and that rather than taking the Ultimates route.
Yeah, that little mallet was cute.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Mickey Rourke was criminally underused in this movie. Was he even the villain?
I forgot to mention... I was waiting for him to snap Hammer's neck at some point.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Also, other than two songs, where was AC/DC.
I've had "Thunderstruck" playing in my head all day.

Trippy wrote: View Post
ETA: the Canada joke got a good laugh in our theatre!
Yeah, that got a few laughs.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2010, 02:00 AM   #149
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I saw her (Kate Mara), but didn't hear what she said. I was too busy wondering how she managed to do so well in Aragorn's Genre Babe thread.
That would be because she is hotter than the Devil's pitchfork and twice as sharp. On a scale of 1-10, a perfect 12. By far the hottest woman in the movie.

Speaking of the other women, I norticed that natasha was never even once refered to a "Black Widow", even in the end credits. The way Marvel is pushing the character these days, you'ld think they would throw the name out there so newbies who might be interestred in the character would know what to look for.
Old May 8 2010, 05:21 AM   #150
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

This time tomorrow I'll be about half way through the movie. I feel about like the only person who hasn't seen this movie by now.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote