Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 5 2010, 11:44 PM   #46
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Wearing Starfleet Uniform Out in Public - Help

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Luther Sloan wrote: View Post
Playing sports versus watching it is totally different. But I do realize that playing sports can be beneficial. I just don't think that watching sports is all that advantageous.
I hate playing - and even watching - sport, but many, many people find role models amongst their sporting heroes.
Then they should look at how they live. And not at how they throw a ball as the defining thing for them to cheer over.

In other words: most of the time, fans of famous sports players seem to care more about how well they play versus how they live their life.

Sure, Star Trek is fictional and should be put in perspective as a piece of fiction, but it at least teaches us about positive morals and lessons in life. It also makes us think about how things could be if we were to imagine greater. It even engages our minds in the scientific possibilities of life, too.
Then we should also closely examine Trek actors and how they live their lives. If the actor is not a good role model, then we should not use the characters they play as role models. Players and actors have much in common. Both play a role: one as a performer on a field of competition; the other as a performer on a stage or screen. As an adult, I have learned to tell the difference between part played and person playing the part.
Old May 6 2010, 12:07 AM   #47
Luther Sloan
Captain

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Then we should also closely examine Trek actors and how they live their lives. If the actor is not a good role model, then we should not use the characters they play as role models. Players and actors have much in common. Both play a role: one as a performer on a field of competition; the other as a performer on a stage or screen. As an adult, I have learned to tell the difference between part played and person playing the part.
Sector 7:

The two are not the same thing.
There is a difference between admiring moral traits within a fictional character and admiring the way someone throws a ball. I don't need to know the actor's real life in order to gain or learn from the fictional character. But what do I get when I see a famous sports person in action? Wow. He really can throw that ball really good. Well, that doesn't really help me, although it's really good for him, though.
Luther Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2010, 01:04 AM   #48
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/me...in_a_skant.jpg

Last edited by Alidar Jarok; May 11 2010 at 09:49 PM.
Anticitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2010, 01:09 AM   #49
Jonas Grumby
Vice Admiral

^ Yeesh!

Is that "When Did Star Trek Jump the Shark" thread still open?
Old May 7 2010, 01:17 AM   #50
Angela 0077
Captain

Well if this is really true question.

Wearing a costume in public could bring good vibes or it could bring trouble.

These days alot of people can be objective to doing this but then it depends what you are wearing.

I know l did watch a series on tv where this guy was in a club and they would go to a park and play out there fantasys.and play sword games and they were all dressed up

The series was called Beauty And The Geek.

So maybe if you go out as a group it would proberly be alright.

or you could just put a costume on at home at least there you wouldnt get objections.
Angela 0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2010, 01:36 AM   #51
Luther Sloan
Captain

Yeah, I am not sure how it is in certain parts in Australia, but here in the States: people can pretty much get away with dressing up any way they would like. Especially in really big cities where there are a lot of unusual dressed people.

Last edited by Luther Sloan; May 7 2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old May 7 2010, 02:40 AM   #52
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

If you feel the need to show your appreciation of the series get a logo pin and wear it on your lapel.

Save the costume for some place where people can appreciate it, like a convention.
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2010, 04:08 AM   #53
Luther Sloan
Captain

Yeah, I have a faded black T-shirt with a small Maquis emblem on one side of the chest. And nobody but me knows it is related to Star Trek. Unless they are familiar with the Maquis symbol that is. I also have a bright blue Niners baseball cap. Also, another subtle Star Trek piece of apparel.

I suppose it's my dirty little Star Trek secret. They see it. But they don't see it.
Old May 8 2010, 03:52 AM   #54
Angela 0077
Captain

Yeah, I am not sure how it is in certain parts in Australia, but here in the States: people can pretty much get away with dressing up any way they would like. Especially in really big cities where there are a lot of unusual dressed people.
Well in the town l live people can look out of place so people stare or remark on a person who looks different.

If you come from the city of Melbourne there are all kinds of people and proberly this type of dress would be normal

I am not sure if they have any clubs in melbourne dedicated to Startrek.

But l know they have conventions and events on different other things
Old May 8 2010, 03:55 AM   #55
Angela 0077
Captain

Yeah, I have a faded black T-shirt with a small Maquis emblem on one side of the chest. And nobody but me knows it is related to Star Trek. Unless they are familiar with the Maquis symbol that is. I also have a bright blue Niners baseball cap. Also, another subtle Star Trek piece of apparel.

I suppose it's my dirty little Star Trek secret. They see it. But they don't see it.

The cap and t shirt would be cool Luther.
Old May 8 2010, 04:53 AM   #56
Luther Sloan
Captain

Thank you.
Old May 8 2010, 04:55 AM   #57
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

It depends on how attractive you are. Hot people can get away with anything.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2010, 11:25 AM   #58
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

But what do I get when I see a famous sports person in action?
The admiration come from the level of competition and dedication necessary to get to where they are are in the world, some of these guys are literally one in a million.

Anticitizen wrote: View Post
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/e/ee/Man_in_a_skant.jpg/313px-Man_in_a_skant.jpg
It occurs to me that if this guy is walking around commando then the length of the skirt might be a form of bragging. The skirt has to be long enough to hide your junk, the longer the skirt, the more of a man you are.

This man's skirt is half way to his knees, hmmmm.

(I really need to go on a date)

Last edited by Alidar Jarok; May 11 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2010, 11:37 AM   #59
Cheapjack
Fleet Captain

It was hinted in one of the 1970's novelisations, that women might go bare-breasted in the 23rdC!!
Cheapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2010, 11:58 AM   #60
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

In other words: most of the time, fans of famous sports players seem to care more about how well they play versus how they live their life.
That's a huge sweeping statement.

Plenty of professional sports people lead inspirational daily lives, just as numerous ST actors (and fictitious Starfleet officers for that matter) have disgraced themselves.

Angela 0077 wrote: View Post
I am not sure if they have any clubs in melbourne dedicated to Startrek.
Yep, AUSTREK. After my Sydney club, ASTREX, wound down in the early 90s, AUSTREK became the longest-running ST club in the southern hemisphere. At its peak it probably had about 800 members.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
The skirt has to be long enough to hide your junk, the longer the skirt, the more of a man you are.
But it's not a skirt. It can't ride up. One leg is wrapped snugly by the material.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote