MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old April 14 2010, 06:05 AM   #31
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee
Re: Facepalm Moments

Ooh! Found another one.

Worst Case Scenario
Janeway: If Seska can rewrite Tuvok, maybe I can rewrite Seska.
YYEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!
Old April 14 2010, 08:02 AM   #32
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Were the literally any facepalm moments like the ones we see on the internet with picard?
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2010, 08:27 AM   #33
Akiraprise

Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2010, 08:45 AM   #34
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

Akiraprise wrote: View Post
haha, thanks
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2010, 08:45 AM   #35
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

SpyOne wrote: View Post
Deckerd wrote: View Post
Equinox.

The 'e' is short. They kept calling it the eequinox. Shut up shutupshutupshutuuuuuuup!
My dictionary disagrees. It says it should be pronounced "ee-kwuh-noks". This agrees with most everyone I have ever heard use the word.

Now, what I know of Latin suggests you are correct, but checking the word's origin shows that the initial "e" came in during the middle ages: in Latin the word begins with an "ae", which means it was pronounced "Eye-kwih-nok-ti-um".
From the Latin aequus, meaning equal, and noctis, meaning night.
'ae' (ash), which can also be either long or short is pronounced between 'a' and 'e', not 'aye'. Initial vowels can be long or short the same as all others and are nowadays usually decided on the number of syllables. Thus 'equals' is always pronounced with a long 'e' but 'equanimity' is not. Given the arbitrary nature of learning English from our immediate society, I will allow that this is a matter of preference. But I am still right.
Old April 14 2010, 11:10 AM   #36
Admiral Shran
Admiral

kimc wrote: View Post
Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
Equinox.

When Janeway decides it's okay to torture, and possibly kill, an unarmed, defenseless person in her custody. WTF!!!!!

Then, she essentially gets away with it just because Chuckles was smart enough to stop it before it happened.
That unarmed, defenseless person had participated in genocidal acts as well as abandoned Janeway and her crew while they were being attacked for acts he and his shipmates had committed. He got what was coming to him - or at least he would have if Chuckles hadn't intervened.
Nobody deserves to be tortured. To do so only lowers oneself to the level of your enemey. It doesn't matter if he had just participated in genocidal acts as well as abandoned Voyager. If Janeway had went through with it, she would have been no better than Ransom. The ends do not justify the means.
Old April 14 2010, 01:10 PM   #37
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

View Adm_Hawthorne's Twitter Profile

I love this and am stealing it to use in my emails at work...
Adm_Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2010, 03:13 PM   #38
Deks
Rear Admiral

Equinox.

When Janeway decides it's okay to torture, and possibly kill, an unarmed, defenseless person in her custody. WTF!!!!!

Then, she essentially gets away with it just because Chuckles was smart enough to stop it before it happened.
That unarmed, defenseless person had participated in genocidal acts as well as abandoned Janeway and her crew while they were being attacked for acts he and his shipmates had committed. He got what was coming to him - or at least he would have if Chuckles hadn't intervened.
Nobody deserves to be tortured. To do so only lowers oneself to the level of your enemey. It doesn't matter if he had just participated in genocidal acts as well as abandoned Voyager. If Janeway had went through with it, she would have been no better than Ransom. The ends do not justify the means.
Actually, it wasn't torture.
Janeway was counting on Noah Lessing to break under pressure because she wanted to frighten him.
She was taking it to the limit though, and frankly, we don't know REALLY how far she would take the process had Chakotay not intervened.
Old April 14 2010, 04:39 PM   #39
SpyOne
Commander

Deckerd wrote: View Post
'ae' (ash), which can also be either long or short is pronounced between 'a' and 'e', not 'aye'.
The two teachers I took Latin from (I repeated Latin I and Latin III) disagreed: I was taught that the dipthong "ae" should be pronounced like a long "i".
I have long suspected that this was ... an oversimplification. That caesar shouldn't be pronounced so much like "kaiser" and more like "kay-isar".
Like the letter J. They taught me the consonant form of the letter "i" should be pronounced like a "y", making julius pronounced "yoo-lee-us". I suspect this is because it is hard to get people to wrap their head (and mouth) around a consonant "i", and it should really be pronounced more like "ih-oo-lee-us".

None of which is relevant, I'm just sharing where I was coming from and hoping to pick your brain a bit I guess.
SpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2010, 10:32 PM   #40
kimc
Coffee Mod

Deks wrote: View Post

Actually, it wasn't torture.
Janeway was counting on Noah Lessing to break under pressure because she wanted to frighten him.
She was taking it to the limit though, and frankly, we don't know REALLY how far she would take the process had Chakotay not intervened.
Exactly.

From what Janeway said to Chakotay at the end of the episode she herself did not know how far she would have gone before he intervened. So much for intent. Lessing on the other hand knew exactly what he was doing and how far he would go.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2010, 10:40 PM   #41
Akiraprise

Adm_Hawthorne wrote: View Post
I love this and am stealing it to use in my emails at work...

I just made it. I knew there were pics of her facepalming. I figured if any did Q had to be involved and I was right.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17 2010, 01:02 AM   #42
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

It might make good story telling to see what happens to your enemy when you "hold them over the volcano" as they said in "Firefly", but the character that's pushed too far pays too much of a price for the knowledge.

Shatner played in an interesting TV movie back in the mid 70's, based on this premise. If you ever have the opportunity, rent "The Tenth Level". It will blow your socks off.
I discovered that "The Tenth Level" hasn't been released on DVD, but it has shown up on youtube! Here, for your viewing pleasure...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN2V2kx_vKY
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2010, 01:34 AM   #43
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

So, there are some serious facepalm moments in Voyager (as there are in all Trek series and movies). Some are more obvious than others. One that really struck me was the following:

"Think Tank"

"All we have to do now is... out-think the think tank." - Janeway

"Warhead"

"Assemble the staff. We're going to find a way to outsmart a smart bomb." - Janeway

"False Profits"

"We have to out-ferengi... the Ferengi." - Janeway
I just ran across another one, and I had to share it. I'm rewatching season 4. I'm on "Prey".

Guess what my favorite captain just said?

"So, there's one question remaining. Who's hunting the hunters."

Old May 4 2010, 03:19 AM   #44
T.D. Possum
Commodore

"The Disease". Kim says: "Did your skin ever flush when you were near another person? Did your stomach ever feel like someone hollowed it out with a knife when you were apart? Did your throat ever swell when you realized it was over?"

In the midst of my face palm, my husband busted out with his Janeway impersonation: "Look here, son, I had lizard babies. You ain't tellin' me nothin'."

Then I had to facepalm a second time.
T.D. Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 12:35 AM   #45
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

So, there are some serious facepalm moments in Voyager (as there are in all Trek series and movies). Some are more obvious than others. One that really struck me was the following:

"Think Tank"

"All we have to do now is... out-think the think tank." - Janeway

"Warhead"

"Assemble the staff. We're going to find a way to outsmart a smart bomb." - Janeway

"False Profits"

"We have to out-ferengi... the Ferengi." - Janeway
I just ran across another one, and I had to share it. I'm rewatching season 4. I'm on "Prey".

Guess what my favorite captain just said?

"So, there's one question remaining. Who's hunting the hunters."

Another...

Chakotay: You're a gung-ho kind of gal, aren't you?
Janeway: Does that bother you?
Chakotay: Nope, just not used to it. That's all. The girls back home are a little different.
Janeway: I guess, when it comes to my people's safety, this girl tends to get a little... gung-ho.