TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 3 2010, 06:24 PM   #1
ST-TNG-FAN91
Ensign

Wearing Starfleet Uniform Out in Public - Help

Hello.

I recently purchased a Starfleet uniform VOY/DS9 issue - command division (in other words red) and it came with the com-bagde, rank pins, and all those Star Trek goodies!

Now I want to show the world how much I love Star Trek and decided to wear my uniform out in public and wherever I go while occasionally flashing a Vulcan Salute at passersby.
However it has been brought to my attention, and my concern that certain people who don't share my admiration for Star Trek might seek to cause me bodily harm.

What steps can I take to ensure my safety while wearing a Starfleet uniform in public? Would caring a Type 2 Phaser with tell people I mean business if they mess with me?

Thanks
ST-TNG-FAN91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 06:38 PM   #2
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Re: Wearing Starfleet Uniform Out in Public - Help

In the unlikely event that this is a real question, my advice is just to wear it in public in situations in which a costume would be appropriate, such as a Halloween party or something. The fact that you're talking about carrying a phaser to show you "mean business" tells me that the thread is a joke.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

I think it would be much better, rather, to remember that although Star Trek was an awesome TV show, it was in fact just a TV show. It's not a way of life, or a religion, or a philosophy.

Anyway who seriously wants to wear a Starfleet uniform out in public on a regular basis may need to be evaluated by a professional to see if maybe there is something else lacking in their life that they are trying to compensate for.

In short, I think if you are serious, you'd better worry first about your own mental health than about getting beaten up because you are dressed like Captain Picard when you go to the store.
Old May 3 2010, 06:49 PM   #4
ToddKent
Captain

View ToddKent's Twitter Profile

ST-TNG-FAN91 wrote: View Post
What steps can I take to ensure my safety while wearing a Starfleet uniform in public? Would caring a Type 2 Phaser with tell people I mean business if they mess with me?

Thanks
Keep it on stun. Safety first.
ToddKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 06:55 PM   #5
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

People will laugh at you if you wear that costume in public. It's not a uniform, it's a costume. You gotta remember that, please...

Outside of Star Trek/sci-fi conventions or costume parties, there really isn't any other place you can safely wear that outside of your own home. I was tempted to shell out big bucks for a costume once or twice, but then I realized I really didn't go to enough places where I'd actually wear it, so I settled on a metal commbadge pin instead that I could wear on a jacket once in awhile. That's as far as I go to show my Trekkieness...
Old May 3 2010, 06:57 PM   #6
ST-TNG-FAN91
Ensign

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
In the unlikely event that this is a real question, my advice is just to wear it in public in situations in which a costume would be appropriate, such as a Halloween party or something. The fact that you're talking about carrying a phaser to show you "mean business" tells me that the thread is a joke.
Well, the phaser part was an attempt at humor but I am serious about what a general public response would be to some nerd walking into a grocery store and such dressed like Picard.

My mental heath is functioning within normal parameters but I am seriously lacking a "social" life and for me Star Trek has filled that void.
ST-TNG-FAN91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 06:58 PM   #7
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Why would anybody wear a Starfleet uniform out in public? Why would anybody beat you up for it? This makes no sense.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:04 PM   #8
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile

This is funny reading this you must be a trek geek not to worry I am a Trekkie as well but I wouldn't go out all the time wearing a Star Trek female uniform I am a female fan,
startrekrcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Don't wear pants. The uniform won't seem nearly as odd once they get a look at your "phaser."
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:12 PM   #10
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

There's a very simple solution: instead of wearing a uniform, have the pattern of the uniform tattooed onto you body! Now I know what you're thinking, "But what about my genitals?!" Don't worry, they can tattoo that too, and you'll be able to pee again in 6 weeks.

I hope this helps.

(On the off-chance that the OP was serious: DON'T WEAR A BLEEDIN' COSTUME IN PUBLIC!!)
Old May 3 2010, 07:21 PM   #11
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
There's a very simple solution: instead of wearing a uniform, have the pattern of the uniform tattooed onto you body! Now I know what you're thinking, "But what about my genitals?!" Don't worry, they can tattoo that too, and you'll be able to pee again in 6 weeks.
The tattoo isn't even necessary. Google "Star Trek body paint".
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:34 PM   #12
22 Stars
Commodore

There are plenty of geek-chic trek t-shirts and stuff to pimp yourself out Trek style, with out wearing the full on uniform. But i say if it's something you want to try, then just do it, and let us know your experiences.

We all remember the woman featured in Trekkies who wears her uniform, and even wore it for Jury Duty.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:35 PM   #13
hofner
Commodore

There's one thing for sure when you wear a Starfleet uniform in public:

You don't have to bother with carrying condoms.

Robert
hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

What if he looks like Chris Pine?
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 07:59 PM   #15
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

An acquaintance of mine wore one a bit as a student at his community college. It went o.k. for him. Opened up discussions. Nobody came close to violence. He has a significant other, by the way, for those of you joking about that. She is a lovely person, not really into Trek, but she thought it was neat he wore something for a reason rather than being a mindless consumer sheep sporting some prominent clothing brand or sports team logo.

I think you all are too sensitive about being thought weird and are trying to build a hedge around all Trekkers by discouraging behavior you think will cause others to think we're all weird. Let it go. People are gonna think what they think about us regardless if STTNG wears a uni.

Someone above recommended a uni/costume wearer needs his or her mental health checked. I'd agree IFF he/she actually thought he/she were actually in Starfleet. As to compensating for subconscious stuff, we all do that in different ways, now, don't we?

Back to the OP, you'll probably be fine. It could conceivably hold back your options in life a bit. Don't wear it to a job interview. Be well.