Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 1 2010, 07:22 PM   #31
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile
Re: What can the iPad be used for?

mswood wrote: View Post
Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
Arrqh wrote: View Post

No need to have to flip it over!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/03/v...d-at-computex/

I don't think they're in any shipping products yet, but Pixel Qi has been ramping up their production lines so hopefully soon. Essentially it's an LCD/e-Ink hybrid... when the backlight is on, you get a full color LCD. When it's off, you get black and white, low-power e-Ink.
I just watched the whole video - HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! E-ink like screen with no refresh or speed problems and switching between regular LCD. Why hasn't this hit the market yet?
The video states it still a work in progress. So I would expect several months still at the very least.
Apparently they had some production problems which were recently cleared up. But they say they're now ramped up to full production.

It is a little... worrying, as the company has been promoting this for a while now and a real product using it has yet to appear. But I'm still hopeful!
Old May 1 2010, 07:39 PM   #32
The Stig
Rear Admiral

I'd really like to see a working example 'in the field.' The concept is tremendously exciting!

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 05:52 AM   #33
Flavius
Vice Admiral

I just got my second one in the mail this weekend. We use them pretty much like most people would use a laptop (and then some).

I hate laptops, have to work with them every day. Compared to any nice desktop they ain't good at anything. They are a major pain in the butt, in fact. So, in our house there are no laptops, but there will be even more iPads (or comparable devices).

Unfortunately, there won't be any competition from MS or HP in the near future, but I hear about Android based devices might be coming out.

Today, I found the Captain's Log app - it has an LCARS interface.

Old May 2 2010, 11:01 PM   #34
mswood
Rear Admiral

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
I've recently downloaded the Marvel App. Best app ever!
It is very cool. But for myself I can't wait to start editing my scanned comics into a book format (probably start next week when I have a bit more free time), currently just reading them as images (which is till works great as you can still easily expand the page (or even just a panel), and unlike a laptop (or desktop) its orientation can display the book in a proper manner.

If you are a comic fan, as far as major players there is nothing out there that beats the ipad as a comic reader.

For just that, it was worth my money.
Old May 2 2010, 11:04 PM   #35
mswood
Rear Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
I'd really like to see a working example 'in the field.' The concept is tremendously exciting!
Very true, and I want to actually see how it handles colors and there gradients.

I also am very hesitant about trusting video's (and this includes apple, as I waited to actually use one before making a purchase) as a my primary source of opinion about a product as it's so easy to manipulate.

But if it does what they say as well as they say, and it doesn't take a lot of power or size then thats huge.
Old May 7 2010, 02:23 PM   #36
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The video made it sound like it wasn't actually e-paper but rather 'e-paper-like' when in "full reflection mode." It just looked like an old B&W LED screen essentially.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2010, 09:47 PM   #37
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Net browsing, email, eBook reading, and MLB.COM At Bat are my favorite uses for the iPad.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 03:11 PM   #38
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

What's better? Wi-Fi iPad or 3G iPad?

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 06:14 PM   #39
Flavius
Vice Admiral

if you don't ever plan to use it as a navigation device, get the Wifi only version. GPS is the only other difference between the two. And if I don't turn off the celluar connection while I'm on wifi, then I lose about an hour of battery time.
Old May 11 2010, 09:16 PM   #40
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
What's better? Wi-Fi iPad or 3G iPad?
Well uh, depends on whether you want to pay $30 a month for internet access many places (I didn't say anywhere b/c ATT's 3G service misses a lot of parts of the country).

Other than the 3G monthly fee, they are both the same device.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2010, 09:34 PM   #41
Flavius
Vice Admiral

^ Almost. The wifi only does not have the GPS chip.
Old May 12 2010, 03:34 AM   #42
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

I see it as a netbook, but without the convenience of being able to do what regular computers do. It seems to mainly focus on videos, books, games, and a crippled internet experience. I'd get it if I traveled more, but I'm happy with my computer and netbook.
Old May 12 2010, 05:58 AM   #43
The Fatman
Captain

Send a message via AIM to The Fatman

Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
I see it as a netbook, but without the convenience of being able to do what regular computers do. It seems to mainly focus on videos, books, games, and a crippled internet experience. I'd get it if I traveled more, but I'm happy with my computer and netbook.
I sold my netbook after 6 months. I had the Dell Mini-9. Sure, because it runs XP it can do anything a regular laptop could do... but not well. Those cramped keyboards are too small to type properly, but too big to thumb type. Netflix and youtube would cause it to overheat and freeze up, so no videos for me. also, since you'd have to hold the screen a foot from your face to make anything out on a 9 inch screen, I could never get physically comfortable using it. The only games I could install (which had to be done through an external disc drive, which is a major pain-in-the-ass) were pretty old... like Starcraft. Oh, and lets not forget that it only had a 3 hour battery life, so it was tethered to a damn power source.

For what I actually used it for and would have liked to use it for? I'd have been much happier waiting a year and buying iPad for the same money.

I'm waiting for the next generation hardware, which will hopefully have the front-facing camera iPhone HD is getting in June; and, again hopefully, start at 16GB for the $500, as opposed to the offensively small 8GB you get now. Those changes, teamed up with the multitasking from OS4.0 = ultimate portable machine for my needs.
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2010, 09:24 AM   #44
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

Foley0402 wrote: View Post
Awesome Possum wrote: View Post
I sold my netbook after 6 months. I had the Dell Mini-9. Sure, because it runs XP it can do anything a regular laptop could do... but not well. Those cramped keyboards are too small to type properly, but too big to thumb type. Netflix and youtube would cause it to overheat and freeze up, so no videos for me. also, since you'd have to hold the screen a foot from your face to make anything out on a 9 inch screen, I could never get physically comfortable using it. The only games I could install (which had to be done through an external disc drive, which is a major pain-in-the-ass) were pretty old... like Starcraft. Oh, and lets not forget that it only had a 3 hour battery life, so it was tethered to a damn power source.

For what I actually used it for and would have liked to use it for? I'd have been much happier waiting a year and buying iPad for the same money.

I'm waiting for the next generation hardware, which will hopefully have the front-facing camera iPhone HD is getting in June; and, again hopefully, start at 16GB for the $500, as opposed to the offensively small 8GB you get now. Those changes, teamed up with the multitasking from OS4.0 = ultimate portable machine for my needs.
Besides not having the disk drive and not being able to play newer games, I have not had a single one of those problems with my Acer Aspire One. Works great with streaming video, plays most of my old games that I've tried on it, and the battery lasts a good 5 hours with wifi around 8 or so without. The keyboard took roughly a day or so to get used to and the screen isn't bad. It looks perfect for video.
Old May 12 2010, 07:34 PM   #45
Scout101
Admiral

I already bought the iPad mini last year, so really don't see much need for this one on my end. When the fiance's laptop dies, will probably replace it with a netbook, as it usually stays upstairs for browsing the internet while sitting by the TV, checking email, or putzing around with spreadsheets or Word.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote