Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 1 2010, 11:14 AM   #16
Wicca who Wonta
Vice Admiral

Re: So what was the deal with Robert Beltran?

I saw that interview years ago and I was insulted back then. But now I realize that everyone can't like trek and, even though he could have shown more tact and respect for his fans, he is entitled to his opinion.
Wicca who Wonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2010, 11:28 AM   #17
Lynx
Rear Admiral

I don't think that Beltran hates Star Trek or hated being on Voyager. he was dissapointed over how his character were shoved in the background in the later seasons.

He had ideas and suggestions which were totally ignored by those in charge and I can understand that he felt frustrated when everything became more and more focused on Seven, The Doctor and Janeway while the other characters were shoved in the background. Note that Beltran's character was supposed to be the second most important character in the show after the captain, just like Riker was to Picard.

No doubt that he was annoyed.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2010, 03:03 PM   #18
Zameaze
Commodore

Chuckling wrote: View Post
Zameaze wrote: View Post
Adm_Hawthorne wrote: View Post

What has he been doing recently anyway?
He's Jerry Flute on "Big Love."

You can go HERE to see what Beltran thought about Voyager--it's kind of fun.

Also, he seems to have been busy with the law: "Actor Robert Beltran and members of a crew filming an episode of Big Love on location in Arizona were arrested during a dispute with authorities, police said Thursday. After leaving a bar called La Brisa del Sur, Beltran was asked by authorities for his papers to show that he was not an illegal alien. Beltran became irate…."

Where's the quote from?

Chuckling
Ah, the quote--it's from the Zameaze Post, a reputable and acclaimed news source.
Zameaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2010, 03:17 PM   #19
M
Vice Admiral

Ha, I love Robert Beltran!
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2010, 09:34 PM   #20
Chuckling
Lieutenant Commander

He's Jerry Flute on "Big Love."

You can go HERE to see what Beltran thought about Voyager--it's kind of fun.

Also, he seems to have been busy with the law: "Actor Robert Beltran and members of a crew filming an episode of Big Love on location in Arizona were arrested during a dispute with authorities, police said Thursday. After leaving a bar called La Brisa del Sur, Beltran was asked by authorities for his papers to show that he was not an illegal alien. Beltran became irate…."

Where's the quote from?

Chuckling
Ah, the quote--it's from the Zameaze Post, a reputable and acclaimed news source.

Thank-you....I think.

Chuckling
Old May 1 2010, 10:22 PM   #21
Zameaze
Commodore

Where's the quote from?

Chuckling

Thank-you....I think.
Sorry. In other words, I just made it up as a comment on Arizona's new anti-immigration law.
Zameaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 04:56 AM   #22
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Thank-you....I think.
Sorry. In other words, I just made it up as a comment on Arizona's new anti-immigration law.

I'm happy with it if it keeps the drug dealers out of my backyard. Personally I don't know why anybody who doesn't live here should give a fuck anyway. Besides we might nab a few terrorists sneaking in through Mexico and that's a goddamn bonus. Please note I'm not a conservative. But I am a consequentialist. America will see. The ends justify the means.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 05:16 AM   #23
Chuckling
Lieutenant Commander

Thank-you....I think.

Thank-you for clarifying that it isn't a real report and didn't actually happen.

Chuckling

Last edited by Chuckling; May 2 2010 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Grammar
Chuckling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2010, 05:45 AM   #24
indolover
Fleet Captain

Kai Winn wrote: View Post
indolover wrote: View Post
Beltran is an actor, and would have wanted his character to be well developed. the fact is it was not!

we never knew what tribe he came from. we never even knew who his mom was, or if she was still alive. And his native American heritage was one of the defining aspects of the character.

Chakotay's poor characterisation was one reason IMO why Voyager only was a good show, and not a great show like TNG and DS9.
that's a bit harsh, the great distance made visits by mom and dad as plot device difficult. it never crossed my mind to criticize ds9 and tng for not introducing me to o'brien's, jadzia's, and riker's moms. they had more serious issues. ds9 for example, a first officer constantly on the edge of a nervous breakdown. i liked the nice and quiet 1th of voyager a lot better.
But TNG and DS9 are the Trek TV series kings since in part they characterised all major characters well. In TNG, we know the basic backgrounds of Picard, Riker, Data, La Forge, Crusher, Troi, Worf, Wesley, Tasha Yar, etc. Even minor characters like O'Brien, Guinan, Barclay, etc. were developed to some degree.

In DS9, well this was the Trek king in terms of character development. All major and recurring characters had detailed backgrounds. In contrast, Voyager did not. This is what makes Voyager, IMO, the poor relation compared to TNG and DS9.

I enjoyed Voyager, since it had good storytelling, similar to TNG and DS9. However, it did not live up to its full potential.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2010, 08:01 AM   #25
Kai Winn
Captain

i enjoyed that the late ds9 seasons did no more torture miles episodes, and like o'brien's, chakotay's star was waning. i guess they did some polls which characters are liked best, and focused on them. janeway, the doc, 7. can't help but totally agree. i also agree with not overdetailing the backgrounds of the characters, it's simply boring. i want to see them in action, not chatting with pop and mom, or dealing with a traumatic childhood experience. the focus on the main stars, and the action delivered made voyager the superior show.
Old May 6 2010, 05:52 PM   #26
JosephineM
Cadet

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Ha, I love Robert Beltran!

I love him too! Chakotay is amazing, charming, awesome!
JosephineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2010, 05:46 AM   #27
tkron
Fleet Captain

Gee, I wonder why. Even on Voyager, he was only illegal because he was Marquis, and he was only an alien if you consider that he was born on another planet.

P.S. SHOP ARIZONA!!!
tkron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2010, 12:39 AM   #28
G2309
Captain

View G2309's Twitter Profile

Interesting i hadn't seen that interview before. I remember reading that he said how the writers clearly didn't care so why should he. If he had a decent script im sure we would have seen some good acting.

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 05:33 PM   #29
Itachi
Lieutenant Commander

... you know i've already gave Beltran so much sh*t over the years. I just haven't had the chance to do it personally. I would like to hehe. I actually just asked someone on youtube linking to one of his vids of him bashing trekkies if they ever wonder if he reads the stuff people say about him. Idk i personally think he's afraid to see but can't help but wonder. If he does he definatly hates me nowHA!
Old June 6 2010, 10:27 PM   #30
Angelsilhouette
Lieutenant

I had heard that Garrett Wang was pretty critical of Rick Berman (OK very very critical), perhaps that's why Robert Beltran was not fond of working on Voyager?
Angelsilhouette is offline   Reply With Quote