Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 28 2010, 04:58 PM   #61
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

davejames wrote: View Post
I was also intrigued by something he said in another interview-- that he felt he'd have to probably redesign the Alien itself, because of how familiar and play-out the original's become.

Frankly I have to agree with him. Now that we know what every inch of it looks like, everything it's capable of, and how it's entire damn life cycle works, there's just no mystery to it anymore.

I wouldn't change the shape entirely, but a lot of the details definitely need to be rethought.
I'm not expecting a drastic re-design of the Alien. Obviously it will have to be different than the ones seen in the previous movies if indeed this is one that emerges from the Space Jockey. But I'm sure the familiar Alien trademark will be present in its design.
Old April 28 2010, 05:37 PM   #62
Teelie
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
LitmusDragon wrote: View Post

Don't ask me how you're supposed to one-up the chestburster, but I'd be curious to see it.
Maybe a buttload of them coming out of a Space Jockey?
Sounds disgusting... oh you mean a lot of them coming out of a Space Jockey.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 11:48 PM   #63
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Deckerd wrote: View Post
The aliens take on the body shape of whatever they incubate inside. That's why most of the aliens you see are humanoid.
Of course, but that's part of the Alien mythos already, so I don't think having an alien that took the characteristics of another creature than a human counts as a radical redesign.

Also, they're not going to not have a human chestbursting scene. We haven't had a decent Alien film for years and that's going to be something that Scott will want to do right.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2010, 12:09 AM   #64
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
I was also intrigued by something he said in another interview-- that he felt he'd have to probably redesign the Alien itself, because of how familiar and play-out the original's become.

Frankly I have to agree with him. Now that we know what every inch of it looks like, everything it's capable of, and how it's entire damn life cycle works, there's just no mystery to it anymore.

I wouldn't change the shape entirely, but a lot of the details definitely need to be rethought.
I'm not expecting a drastic re-design of the Alien. Obviously it will have to be different than the ones seen in the previous movies if indeed this is one that emerges from the Space Jockey.
You know considering the size of the hole in the Jokey it must have been a pretty big alien.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2010, 03:51 AM   #65
The Wormhole
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

I'm not expecting a drastic re-design of the Alien. Obviously it will have to be different than the ones seen in the previous movies if indeed this is one that emerges from the Space Jockey.
You know considering the size of the hole in the Jokey it must have been a pretty big alien.
The Jockey itself was pretty big. Logic would suggest an Alien based on it would be a decent size, even a baby one.
Old April 29 2010, 11:45 AM   #66
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Re: The latest "Alien" prequel rumours - Scott directing, in 3-D?

The queen in Aliens was huge but that could just be because she's a queen and she is much more insect-like than her workers. Perhaps the queens are more like the original creatures before they started becoming cuckoos.
Old May 22 2010, 12:44 AM   #67
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

two prequels

in Empire Online, Scott also revealed that two prequels are in development.

"It'll be two," says Ridley. "Prequel one and two, then Alien 1."

When asked if he would be filming the two prequels back to back, he said, "At the moment I'm just trying to get the first one out."
He's now polishing the fourth draft of the first prequel's screenplay he told MTV and is "hoping to have it in theatres in late 2011, or maybe the best date in 2012."

Speaking to Screen Daily, he said the first prequel will be "really nasty"
Ridley Scott is developing two 3D Alien prequels

Somehow I only see Ridley as hands-on with the first prequel...
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2010, 07:07 AM   #68
Tulin
Vice Admiral

I am both elated at the continuing news about this and terrified.

Could be SOOOO damned good.........or really, REALLY bad.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2010, 11:59 AM   #69
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

latest "Alien" prequel rumours

the new films have involved "a lot of underwater research". So what does that mean? An ocean planet origin for the jockeys?
*Mark Verheiden's 1990s comics (the adventures of Newt and Hicks after Aliens, before Alien 3 arrived and killed them off) did just this, suggesting that the Jockeys are badass warriors who intend to enslave humanity once they've finished with the Xenomorphs.
John Spaihts has written the screenplays, and the current due date for part one is late 2011.
More On Alien Prequels From Ridley Scott

- This film will go very deep into the possibilities of terra forming and the realities of what it would actually take for humans to leave earth. He then started talking sort of technically about light speed and stuff.
Ridley Scott Dishes on Two ALIEN Prequels And Much More at Hero Complex Film Festival
Old October 15 2010, 05:04 PM   #70
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Aliens prequel director Ridley Scott, wants $250 million to create one of the most spectacular sci-fi films of all time and want to make it rated-R. Fox sees that the original Alien cost only $11 million to make and wants a PG-13 rated film allowing for a bigger audience.
Unless the negotiations are for both part I and part II of the prequel, I'm sure that Ridley Scott can pull this thing off for $100 million. Fox, just give him the over-18 rating and a $100 million check and lets do this!
Sept. 30, 2010
http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog...t-on-hold.html

$250. million? Geez.
Old October 15 2010, 09:22 PM   #71
Teelie
Vice Admiral

$250 million for a movie these days isn't outrageous but it's not a normal sum either. Ridley Scott is a guy I'd trust with that kind of money but I can understand the hesitation. Though I'm adamantly against making it PG-13 and intentionally restricting what the director wants to do with the film.
Old October 15 2010, 09:34 PM   #72
The Wormhole
Admiral

Aliens prequel director Ridley Scott, wants $250 million to create one of the most spectacular sci-fi films of all time and want to make it rated-R. Fox sees that the original Alien cost only $11 million to make and wants a PG-13 rated film allowing for a bigger audience.
Well, what $11 million could get you in the 1970s is quite different from what $11 million could get you today. $250 million for a 3-D film doesn't really seem that bad.
Old October 15 2010, 11:02 PM   #73
Teelie
Vice Admiral

Another thing to consider is $11 million today probably would get you either an A-list actor in a small role or cover the cast if they were decent actors and leave no budget for the rest of the movie.
Old October 24 2010, 08:49 PM   #74
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Ridley Scott's Alien prequel script leaks (Major spoilers!)

Somehow, an Australian website got its hands on the script for Ridley Scott's return to the Alien franchise and posted all kinds of info—until Fox made them take it down. But we sniffed it out and present it for your consideration.
Ridley Scott's Alien prequel script leaks (Major spoilers!)
http://blastr.com/2010/10/major-spoilers-ridley-sco.php

via
Spoiler TV
http://www.movies.spoilertv.com/2010...tails-big.html
via
http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=19440
via
http://www.whatsplaying.com.au/2010/...nsider-270910/
Old October 24 2010, 08:58 PM   #75
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Couldn't care less about the budget as long as it's akin to Alien/Aliens and not Alien 3!
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote