Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 25 2010, 09:39 PM   #16
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

Shaw's thread is a good one and nearing a milestone!

I have uploaded a complete plan of the 1st season set here.

The first season Engine Room was longer than the later design. I worked out the length of 24' by comparing the width of the corridor to the length of the Engine Room (click for larger version):

I know from examining set plans (with measurement callouts) that the corridors are 8' wide, so the rest is easy!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2010, 10:23 PM   #17
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Good stuff. I wish I were better at interior modeling... the last time I did anything like this was building a level for Quake.

This will be awesome for cutaway views.

www.madshipyard.com
MadMan1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2010, 10:33 PM   #18
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Mytran / Tin_Man - Thanks for the link to Shaw's thread. Very interesting ideas and the recent scaled sets image is helpful.

@Mytran - but the 1st season set. WOW That helps tremendously. And the 8' wide corridor reference will help me rescale as my corridor was scaled a little wider. I bet the difference ought to bring the engine room length down to 24'...

@MadMan1701A - Thanks. I am thinking of cutaway views but I think it will be very show-centric vs tech manual or blueprint based at the going rate If I keep it low-poly enough, it might even be portable over to the Unity3D framework.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2010, 10:43 PM   #19
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Shame photobucket can't carry higher resolution images, but hopefully what's there should be enough for your purposes. Just be aware that there are a few oddities in that first season set plan - the number of transporter pads, for example...

However, as regards the corridor set and attached rooms, I believe it is accurate.
Old April 26 2010, 01:40 AM   #20
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Mytran wrote: View Post
Shame photobucket can't carry higher resolution images
That's a common misunderstanding. Under that big blue "Upload images & videos" button, there's a "more options" link. There, you can set your upload limit to 1 Mb instead of a pixel size. For a black and white image like yours, you can probably get it pretty big before you hit the 1Mb limit.
Old April 27 2010, 10:58 PM   #21
Mytran
Fleet Captain

I was watching Paradise Syndrome earlier and caught these scenes - I figure that view is almost spot on centre!
Old April 28 2010, 04:58 AM   #22
Gagarin
Commander

Mytran wrote: View Post
I was watching Paradise Syndrome earlier and caught these scenes - I figure that view is almost spot on centre!
Wow! The room looks like its 'real' size in those shots. I'm always impressed by how they shot that room to look gigantic.
Gagarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 03:47 PM   #23
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Gagarin - thanks!

@Mytran - Nice I'll give those pics a shot and see what number range I come up with.

Did you guys know that the Enterprise had a fancy vertical warp core?

Just kidding

It's that big vertical pipe/conduit structure that Evil Kirk blasts with his phaser. I haven't worked out it's location yet and the camera never pans up to know what it looks like above 7' - so it's conjectural as to what the top half looks like.

I also tightened up the dimensions with Mytran's help and the room from front wall to back wall is now 24' long.

Old April 28 2010, 04:49 PM   #24
blssdwlf
Commodore

Here you go Mytran I don't think I can replicate the forced perspective as faithfully as can be at the moment so these are very rough guesses...

Old April 28 2010, 05:07 PM   #25
BK613
Captain

here's an idea that might work.

when I saw Shaw's illustration it reminded me of a diagram that was mounted on the main engine control board on the ship I served on in the Navy. The ship, USS MARS, had a large engine room amidships with a single shaft running aft through a narrow series of rooms (shaft alley) to the screw. That ER and shaft alley were represented on the diagram.

only i figured two engines, two shaft alleys.

Old April 28 2010, 05:08 PM   #26
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Looks great! looks like you nailed the design of the "vertical warp core" (or whatever). Although the "flanges" around the bottom of the pipe should probably be around the top as well? As you probably know, the big red "struts" of this set piece were left over from the support colonnade of the pilot ep's circular briefing room, and the central "core" was also seen (as two seperate pieces) as columns in the phaser room set in "Balance of Terror". This same set piece (the column) was also used again in "The Devil in the Dark" as part of the pergeum reactor, where the ends were spliced back together where it had been cut in half, after which it appears yet again in the Constellations' engine room in "The Doomsday Machine" (in a similar spot on the far right of the set, looking aftward. Maybe these referances can help you narrow down the "best look" of this thing, although what you already have is superb!

Last edited by TIN_MAN; April 28 2010 at 09:19 PM.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 08:13 PM   #27
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Hey blssdwlf, where's your pic gone? I saw it briefly at work today but now I have the chance for some proper scrutiny - poof! From what I remember it looked great, hopefully you are just making some adjustments.

BK613's idea is a good way to combine the two Engine Rooms, although if you want to be accurate to the sets the season 1 version should be longer than than the later one. Unfortunately the Star Trek Magazine does not make this clear, since they were trying to argue that it was the same room, just with some refitting. Given their different room shapes this would be quite a feat of ... engineering

However, if set accuracy isn't too much of an issue for you then no problem and the layout is fine as it is. I particularly like the way you've left enough room for a proper sized Emergency Manual Monitor.

TIN MAN did a great multiple Engine Room setup recently - care to plug it again?
Old April 28 2010, 08:47 PM   #28
BK613
Captain

Mytran;4033149[B wrote:
BK613[/B]'s idea is a good way to combine the two Engine Rooms, although if you want to be accurate to the sets the season 1 version should be longer than than the later one. Unfortunately the Star Trek Magazine does not make this clear, since they were trying to argue that it was the same room, just with some refitting. Given their different room shapes this would be quite a feat of ... engineering
as long as interior bulkheads aren't load-bearing members, then it would be possible. the two-engine room arrangement has the advantage of explaining the reused ER footage, especially the Scotty Grate Grab.

Mytran;4033149However, if set accuracy isn't too much of an issue for you then no problem and the layout is fine as it is. I particularly like the way you've left enough room for a proper sized Emergency Manual Monitor[I wrote:
.[/I]
Not sure if this was directed at me but my iso view doesn't do the EMM room's width justice; it is wider on the cross-section. it will probably be corrected the next time I mess with this image.
Mytran;4033149[B wrote:
TIN MAN[/B] did a great multiple Engine Room setup recently - care to plug it again?
I'd like to see that as well; a dying motherboard has kept me from being very active lately and I have missed a bunch of stuff (especially images; most image-hosting sites are blocked at work.)
Old April 28 2010, 09:10 PM   #29
TIN_MAN
Fleet Captain

Here's the linky...
http://i49.tinypic.com/2qjvup0.jpg

Keep in mind this was based on Shaw's internals, which he evidently has revised, but it's still workable, I guess?
The basic idea is very similar to BK613's, but with the addition of the TAS engine rooms and corresponding tube tunnel on the C/L.

Last edited by TIN_MAN; April 28 2010 at 09:23 PM.
TIN_MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 09:43 PM   #30
BK613
Captain

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
Here's the linky...
http://i49.tinypic.com/2qjvup0.jpg

Keep in mind this was based on Shaw's internals, which he evidently has revised, but it's still workable, I guess?
The basic idea is very similar to BK613's, but with the addition of the TAS engine rooms and corresponding tube tunnel on the C/L.
Ooh I like that! Nice use of the TAS stuff.