RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,091
Posts: 5,399,165
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 398
Newest member: extremedalek

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 27 2010, 05:53 PM   #46
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

Like or loathe Avatar, nobody can question that it sets a whole new standard for future movies, especially movies that are striving for the spectacular, which tend to be wholly or partly in the fantasy genre.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 05:55 PM   #47
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

Exactly. And the studios are highly motivated to use 3D to push the whole exhibition industry toward digital distribution.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 06:01 PM   #48
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

Anyhoo, I'm encouraged that Ridley Scott's involved but, as with George Lucas, I have a sneaking suspicion his best work's far behind him. I don't see him making anything as understated and deeply disturbing as Alien in this day and age. Remember that almost all of the horror was just off-screen, or heard through the coms. I don't think any big budget movie director would dare to be that imaginative (and restrained) nowadays..
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 06:05 PM   #49
LitmusDragon
Commodore
 
LitmusDragon's Avatar
 
Location: The Barmuda Triangle
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

I'm encouraged by "really nasty". I was thinking the only way to do this correctly would be to push the horror to the next level (the action angle has been done to death). Maybe I'm reading too much into that statement but I'd like to think that's what he meant.

Don't ask me how you're supposed to one-up the chestburster, but I'd be curious to see it.
__________________
I made an 8-bit style RPG, here it is
I'm getting married on July 19, 2014.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 07:19 PM   #50
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post

Don't ask me how you're supposed to one-up the chestburster, but I'd be curious to see it.
Maybe a buttload of them coming out of a Space Jockey?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 07:57 PM   #51
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

I was also intrigued by something he said in another interview-- that he felt he'd have to probably redesign the Alien itself, because of how familiar and play-out the original's become.

Frankly I have to agree with him. Now that we know what every inch of it looks like, everything it's capable of, and how it's entire damn life cycle works, there's just no mystery to it anymore.

I wouldn't change the shape entirely, but a lot of the details definitely need to be rethought.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 09:13 PM   #52
Bishbot
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

Starkers wrote: View Post
Well I'm gladd Scott is involved, but the prequel idea makes me nervous, and God does everything have to be in 3D now?
Yes, everything that can utilise it well now has to be in 3D because why the hell not? 3D is like 2D but slightly better. It's like saying "why does everything have to have surround sound" (or even just "sound"). This is a big scifi picture which will undoubtedly have some sights that 3D will be great for.

Tulin wrote: View Post
God - I don't want to think of "Alien" and "Avatar" mixing.
Yes you do. You've thought about it before. You said in the Avatar thread that the only thing that would redeem Avatar were if it were set in the Alien universe.

I'm not keen on redesigning the Alien. A little bit, sure, every film has changed them a little (although the AvP2 ones seem pretty much exactly the same as the ones from Aliens). It needs to be pretty familiar if it can be: big penis shaped head, inner jaw, drooling teeth, bony "bio-mechanical" design, long tail with a blade... once you've got all that I can't see what else you can change and be radically different.

I am encouraged by the idea that it will be "really nasty" though
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 10:49 PM   #53
IcecreamLtDan
Captain
 
IcecreamLtDan's Avatar
 
Location: North Carolina, USA
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

Yea,unfortunately, 3D films give me headaches, a problem I don't have with 2d films, well, ones that don't suck anyway, so when they all go 3d I guess I won't be watching movies anymore.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 11:00 PM   #54
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore
 
Base_Delta_Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

IcecreamLtDan wrote: View Post
Yea,unfortunately, 3D films give me headaches, a problem I don't have with 2d films, well, ones that don't suck anyway, so when they all go 3d I guess I won't be watching movies anymore.
Same here. The max I've been able to withstand a 3d film was 45 minutes.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 11:15 PM   #55
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

3-D has certainly been lucrative for studios and theatres thus far. Despite mixed reviews which especially warned of the bad 3-D, both Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans were big hits. If the public continues to lap up anything that is 3-D, paying the increased ticket prices for these pictures, then every big-budget studio picture will be released primarily in 3-D in short order.

I had hoped for a public backlash against converted 3-D films, but so far, no such luck. I'm sure Scott's eye for intense visual detail will lend itself well to the format, especially if it begins life in 3-D, but few filmmakers are so gifted/obsessed with such details.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 11:38 PM   #56
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral
 
melancholymecha's Avatar
 
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

I hope we get another "synthetic" I love those milk spewing bastards!

even better get Sharlto to play one, maybe the first prototype sent with a team... yeah! Oh that'd be so awesome!
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 12:09 AM   #57
Tulin
Vice Admiral
 
Location: With the most wonderful man in the world!
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

Bishbot wrote: View Post
Tulin wrote: View Post
God - I don't want to think of "Alien" and "Avatar" mixing.
Yes you do. You've thought about it before. You said in the Avatar thread that the only thing that would redeem Avatar were if it were set in the Alien universe.
I KNOW this would never happen but I was specifically thinking of the two styles being mixed. I mean I don't want to think about CGI xenos in a faux fantasy world like Avatar.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 12:11 AM   #58
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

Bishbot wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Well I'm gladd Scott is involved, but the prequel idea makes me nervous, and God does everything have to be in 3D now?
Yes, everything that can utilise it well now has to be in 3D because why the hell not? 3D is like 2D but slightly better. It's like saying "why does everything have to have surround sound" (or even just "sound"). This is a big scifi picture which will undoubtedly have some sights that 3D will be great for.

Tulin wrote: View Post
God - I don't want to think of "Alien" and "Avatar" mixing.
Yes you do. You've thought about it before. You said in the Avatar thread that the only thing that would redeem Avatar were if it were set in the Alien universe.

I'm not keen on redesigning the Alien. A little bit, sure, every film has changed them a little (although the AvP2 ones seem pretty much exactly the same as the ones from Aliens). It needs to be pretty familiar if it can be: big penis shaped head, inner jaw, drooling teeth, bony "bio-mechanical" design, long tail with a blade... once you've got all that I can't see what else you can change and be radically different.
Well that might depend on what it's host was for all we know it might burst out of some huge hulking 6 armed alien and take non attributes from said alien like the one in 3 did from the dog.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 09:55 AM   #59
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

The aliens take on the body shape of whatever they incubate inside. That's why most of the aliens you see are humanoid.
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 12:20 PM   #60
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: Scott talks about Alien prequel

Bishbot wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Well I'm gladd Scott is involved, but the prequel idea makes me nervous, and God does everything have to be in 3D now?
Yes, everything that can utilise it well now has to be in 3D because why the hell not? 3D is like 2D but slightly better. It's like saying "why does everything have to have surround sound" (or even just "sound"). This is a big scifi picture which will undoubtedly have some sights that 3D will be great for.
I just don't see it as being slightly better, at least not in its current form. Personally I found watching Avatar tiring, kept having to take the damn glasses off, and I didn't feel like I gained that much by it being in 3D, if anything it seemed jarring, kept constantly reminding me I was watching a film so I didn't feel I could lose myself in the story.

I realise I'm an old luddite who's in a minority here though

A 3D chestbuster on the other hand...hmm, you'd have to do that wouldn't you if you were Scott!
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
horror

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.