RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 802
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old April 26 2010, 11:48 PM   #16
JD
Admiral

Re: The Children of the Kings

Sounds good. Have we gotten alot of background on the Orions in the novels before this?
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 12:39 AM   #17
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I'm looking forward to this- an exploration of Orion culture aND history seems long overdue- but sadly it must wait unrtil exam period is finished. I'll have quite a backlog of novels to look forward to. I have glanced througj it, and what 've seen looks interesying.

please excuse my drunkneness. Annual tradition. I'll be myself again tomorrow.
Old April 27 2010, 01:07 AM   #18
mbruno
Lieutenant

Could a mod please fix the topic title? The book is called "The Children of Kings", not "The Children of the Kings".
Old April 27 2010, 01:08 AM   #19
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

mbruno wrote: View Post
Could a mod please fix the topic title? The book is called "The Children of Kings", not "The Children of the Kings".
Indeed. That's been boryhering me, too!
Old April 27 2010, 01:11 AM   #20
mbruno
Lieutenant

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
I'm looking forward to this- an exploration of Orion culture aND history seems long overdue- but sadly it must wait unrtil exam period is finished. I'll have quite a backlog of novels to look forward to. I have glanced througj it, and what 've seen looks interesying.

Hope your hangover isn't too bad tomorrow Nasat.

Last edited by mbruno; April 27 2010 at 01:12 AM. Reason: damn typo
mbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 07:45 PM   #21
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Amazon delivered it today.

It's so...thick. Oh my.

Can't wait! But I see the author thanks MWB for Burning Dreams, so I will likely read that first...
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 10:39 PM   #22
JD
Admiral

Oh, The Children of Kings (416p) isn't thick, A Storm of Swords (1216p) is thick . Luckily I'm on the book that comes before it, A Game of Thrones (835p).
Old April 28 2010, 02:31 AM   #23
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

I just got my copy. Looking forward to reading it! Hearing that the book's Pike is a lot like Bruce Greenwood's Pike is a good thing... I loved Greenwood's portrayal of Captain Pike.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 02:55 AM   #24
21Spike65
Lieutenant Commander

Hmm...the good reviews are making me curious. How would you say this rates in comparison to Dave Stern's previous works, for those of you who have read both?
Next Up: Missing in Action
21Spike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2010, 01:15 PM   #25
Garm Bel Iblis
Commodore

View Garm Bel Iblis's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Garm Bel Iblis

21Spike65 wrote: View Post
Hmm...the good reviews are making me curious. How would you say this rates in comparison to Dave Stern's previous works, for those of you who have read both?
That's what i'm worried about. Daedeuls\Childrent and Rosetta were meh. And Cowabunga or whatever it was called left mewith a great big
Garm Bel Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29 2010, 04:16 AM   #26
mbruno
Lieutenant

mbruno wrote: View Post
Please?
Old April 30 2010, 02:11 AM   #27
HOoftheKinshaya
Lieutenant

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post

I think it gives a fairly good explanation of why the Orions are a dimorphic species with the Males being so much larger than the females and so incredibly strong. The hormones in their body chemistry basically enhance the development of the sexes differently as they grow to a much higher degree than other species, enhancing pheromones and sexual appeal in females and size and strength in males. So you end up with hulking mammoths, brutes and sexual vixens, seductresses. Basically the Uber-Masculine and Uber-Feminine.

It also touches on the history of the Orions when they were and empire and the issues that caused their society to devolve.

I loved the portrayal of Orions in the Enterprise series. Seeing the "Big Show"Orion Slaver toss people around and manhandle and shake T'Pol like a little doll was classic.

This book does a good job fleshing some of that out with a strong story and some strong character development of Pike's crew. It almost makes you wonder how Dr. Boyce would have interacted with Kirk and Spock.
HOoftheKinshaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2010, 02:25 AM   #28
JD
Admiral

Wow, this sounds fascinating. I can't wait to get my hands on this book.
Old May 5 2010, 02:55 PM   #29
Christopher
Writer

Tara wrote: View Post
ETA: looks like the ref to NCO Colt as an Ensign was a one-off, tho the spelling of Ilyria as "Illyria" and as a colony I suspect was due to an old error at Memory Beta.
Not necessarily. There are a number of clear differences from canon here. Garison is a lieutenant instead of a chief petty officer, Pitcairn is chief engineer instead of transporter chief, the Klingons already have a prototype cloak in the 2250s, and there's even a reference to the Ferengi. Plus it's evidently before "The Cage" yet Colt is already Pike's yeoman, rather than the replacement for the one he lost on Rigel VII immediately before "The Cage." I was confused at first, until I read the author's note at the end, where Stern says that the new film continuity "freed [him] of the need to write specifically to one vision of humanity's future" and that the book shows "the Enterprise as it might have been under Captain Christopher Pike." He calls it a "prequel" to the movie, though it can't be, since the movie showed the Enterprise's maiden voyage. So it's not quite in the Prime universe and it's not quite in the Abramsverse. It's apparently sort of a stealth Myriad Universes tale, an alternate take on Pike's captaincy and on the astropolitical situation of the 2250s.

It's an interesting approach. I'd imagine it's a product of the period when the editors weren't sure how to deal with the new continuity and were developing projects adaptable to either timeline, or at least not specifically bound to either one.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2010, 03:15 PM   #30
Garm Bel Iblis
Commodore

View Garm Bel Iblis's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Garm Bel Iblis
Re: The Children of Kings

I'm diggin' this books

SPOILERS

But the death of Captain Pike has me bummed
Garm Bel Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote