Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Needs of the Many"
Excellent 7 17.95%
Above Average 9 23.08%
Average 10 25.64%
Below Average 5 12.82%
Poor 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 26 2010, 11:40 PM   #106
Ferd Burfel
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek: Online: The Needs of the Many - Discussion (Spoilers)

So I remembered that one of the main volleys being heaved at the author of this was his portrayal of the soldier in one of the "interviews". Many of the people who slammed him said that he should read "Band of Brothers" and other works by that author to see some quality writing about soldiers.

Well I just got done reading an article that states that the author of BoB might have made up stuff for one of his books, possibly many. Now this doesn't mean that he made stuff up for BoB, but is interesting to note that the guy a couple of you slammed TNOTM's author for not emulating might have made stuff up.

Don't just challenge what they think, challenge how they think.
Ferd Burfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 12:08 AM   #107
Christopher
Writer

DarKush wrote: View Post
I was flipping through this book. Not sure if I will buy it. I find the style a bit unorthodox. I was curious about the name Undine. Does anyone know who came up with that and why? It seemed like Species 8472 would have a more alien sounding name, probably one of those Timothy Zahn Chiss names from the Star Wars Expanded Universe.
An undine (or ondine) is a female water spirit or water elemental in European folklore and the writings of the Renaissance alchemist Paracelsus. I assume that some human in the Federation named them that as an acknowledgment of the fact that they come from a fluidic universe.

Species 8472 surely wouldn't have a pronounceable name for themselves, since they don't have mouths and communicate telepathically. So any name for them is going to have to be something from human language that's applied to them descriptively. (In Places of Exile, I called them Groundskeepers.)

Thrawn wrote: View Post
But I think the funny part about "Undine" is how close it is to "Indign", the alien of the week from Unworthy. (Or at least how I pronounced it in my head. Maybe it's pronounced totally differently.)
Undine is pronounced "un-deen" (as with "Nadine" or "Carradine"). Indign is pronounced "in-dine" (as with "sign" or "align").

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 12:24 AM   #108
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

Thrawn wrote: View Post
But I think the funny part about "Undine" is how close it is to "Indign", the alien of the week from Unworthy. (Or at least how I pronounced it in my head. Maybe it's pronounced totally differently.)
Undine is pronounced "un-deen" (as with "Nadine" or "Carradine"). Indign is pronounced "in-dine" (as with "sign" or "align").
I too fiund the name a little coincifdental with Indign until I realized thanks to the name "deano" that it was prpnopunced unDEEN, I must admit to ign orance of the actual name "undine" in mytholtogy.

PS: Please excuse me, I'm drubnk tonight. I'll be my usual self tomorrow, so please jjust put up with this for tonight. I'll be quite apologetoc tomorrow, I'm sure
Old April 27 2010, 01:06 AM   #109
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

^ I'm not noticing anything amiss.....

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 01:10 AM   #110
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
^ I'm not noticing anything amiss.....

We're all entitled to one drunken evening of posting here; io'm sure it's in the forum rules somewherwe!
Old April 27 2010, 01:10 AM   #111
F. King Daniel
Admiral

A drunk Nasat. What an interesting idea...

Would it be an angry drunk and start a fight, attempting to clout people with it's little cillia while yelling incoherently?

Would it curl into a ball and roll around giggling, eventually falling asleep after getting stuck under a desk or in a corner?

And how many drinks does it take to put a Nasat under the table?

Would alchohol even have an effect on an alien insect? I'm sure they'd have some local intoxicant with equivelent effects. Would they have a synthehol?
Old April 27 2010, 01:12 AM   #112
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
A drunk Nasat. What an interesting idea...

Would it be an angry drunk and start a fight, attempting to clout people with it's little cillia while yelling incoherently?

Would it curl into a ball and roll around giggling, eventually falling asleep after getting stuck under a desk or in a corner?

And how many drinks does it take to put a Nasat under the table?

Would alchohol even have an effect on an alien insect? I'm sure they'd have some local intoxicant with equivelent effects. Would they have a synthehol?
Old April 27 2010, 01:25 AM   #113
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

Well, there's nothing wrong with drinking and posting....you just have to know how to do it and not let on that you're doing it

Old April 27 2010, 02:05 AM   #114
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

^ In fact, Dayton has never posted sober...
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 02:09 AM   #115
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

^ How else do you think I avoid going off on some of the stuff posted around here?

Old April 27 2010, 02:38 AM   #116
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Ferd Burfel wrote: View Post
So I remembered that one of the main volleys being heaved at the author of this was his portrayal of the soldier in one of the "interviews". Many of the people who slammed him said that he should read "Band of Brothers" and other works by that author to see some quality writing about soldiers.

Well I just got done reading an article that states that the author of BoB might have made up stuff for one of his books, possibly many. Now this doesn't mean that he made stuff up for BoB, but is interesting to note that the guy a couple of you slammed TNOTM's author for not emulating might have made stuff up.
With the movie series, it is quite obvious artistic license has to be taken, for the parts that actually portray the action "as it is occurring." However, what it would be extremely foolish to deny would be the interviews given by the people who were actually involved in those events--specifically, the documentary We Stand Alone Together. If you want to argue with primary-source material, if you want to suggest all of those men are shamming and that "real soldiers" couldn't be as levelheaded and humble as those men were...trust me on this--it won't go well.
Old April 27 2010, 06:34 PM   #117
MNM
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post

So I'm the only one who pronounced it "In-Dige-iN" as in indiginous?
MNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 07:40 PM   #118
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Does anyone know if we'll get another Star Trek Online book? I seem to remember reading an article when this was announced saying that there would be a follow up (I'm guessing next year).

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 07:53 PM   #119
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Does anyone know if we'll get another Star Trek Online book? I seem to remember reading an article when this was announced saying that there would be a follow up (I'm guessing next year).
An interview with Michael A. Martin, around the time of release, indicated that he did have an idea for a future volume, but that any more STO books would be contingent on sales of the first.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2010, 08:44 PM   #120
Christopher
Writer

MNM wrote: View Post
So I'm the only one who pronounced it "In-Dige-iN" as in indiginous?
I should hope so, because that's not how it's spelled. It's indign, a real (if archaic) word meaning "unworthy" (hence the title of the book), and it's related to the words "indignant" and "indignity," not "indigenous." (And "indigenous" is pronounced with a short i in the second syllable, like "smidgen.")

Dictionaries: they're not just for propping up table legs.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote