IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old April 26 2010, 03:38 AM   #16
Ceridwen
Commodore

Re: Would you mind UHURA being promoted to BIG THREE status in next mo

Well, by the time we got to Season Three of Star Trek, Scottie had sort of made the move to a big enough status as to almost make it a "Big 4." I don't see why a "Big 4" couldn't happen in the films, though with Uhura this time.

Though, the new film is much more like the first season of Star Trek, where it was much more of a "Big 2." McCoy is certainly important in the first season, but he becomes much more vital as the show goes on.
Old April 26 2010, 04:06 AM   #17
Agenda
Fleet Captain

The Big Three - as good as it was - is a TOS artifact. To appeal to more audiences (namely women) we need more Uhura.
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 05:01 AM   #18
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post
If we're going to go ahead and have a "re-set" of Star Trek, can we please lose the terms "away mission" and "away team."
What would you prefer calling them?

As for Uhura: No. The Big Three is and always should be Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

I don't even think the romance with Spock and Uhura was a good idea - and now that Vulcan is going to need MORE pure blood Vulcans to repopulate the species, it's an even worse idea.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 05:03 AM   #19
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Spock's not a pure-blooded Vulcan. Who says they'd want him?
Old April 26 2010, 05:07 AM   #20
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

Good point. But at least Spock's *half* Vulcan. Uhura is NONE Vulcan. If they were to have kids, that would not help the Vulcan species any.

And I think the Vulcan species would benefit from Spock having kids with a Vulcan woman (his human side would be diluted away in a few generations). He is the son of Sarek, after all. Sarek surely must have some clout with what remains of the Vulcan government (who knows, Sarek could *be* that government!). And Sarek would most likely advise Spock that it's logical to have more Vulcan kids.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old April 26 2010, 05:13 AM   #21
Agenda
Fleet Captain

But even for a species facing extinction, you need enough individuals from both genders in order to tango. Maybe there's more Vulcan males left than females, in which case Spock wouldn't be needed.

And who cares what Sarek wants or thinks? At the end of the last movie, Spock made it clear that he's going his own way.

Last edited by Agenda; April 26 2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old April 26 2010, 11:53 AM   #22
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Beyond Antares wrote: View Post
The Big Three - as good as it was - is a TOS artifact. To appeal to more audiences (namely women) we need more Uhura.
LOL. The relationship between Kirk, the strong leader, Spock, the logical mind, and McCoy, the moral conscience, is the heart and soul of TOS, it's not an "artifact".

Even if the movie appeals to female audiences, you still won't get the ladies to visit your basement.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 12:18 PM   #23
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Yeah, the Enterprise is a TOS artifact as well. What they should do is turn it into a giant Pink Cadillac and replace the engine noises with the soundtrack to Dirty Dancing.

Y'know, to appeal to women.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 04:17 PM   #24
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Sounds good to me. One of the best parts of the new movie is that Uhura finally got to be the female lead, instead of playing second fiddle to some new character like Ilia, Saavik, Gillian Taylor, Valeris, etc.

Uhura has paid her dues. It's time for her to take the spotlight.
Old April 26 2010, 04:25 PM   #25
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Yeah, the Enterprise is a TOS artifact as well. What they should do is turn it into a giant Pink Cadillac and replace the engine noises with the soundtrack to Dirty Dancing.
No, I think just having a more prominent female character is enough.
Old April 26 2010, 04:30 PM   #26
Agenda
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
LOL. The relationship between Kirk, the strong leader, Spock, the logical mind, and McCoy, the moral conscience, is the heart and soul of TOS, it's not an "artifact".

Even if the movie appeals to female audiences, you still won't get the ladies to visit your basement.
I agree that the relationship between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy was a big draw in what made TOS great. But it should no longer be the sole focus. You can still have that, plus more Uhura on the side.
Old April 26 2010, 04:34 PM   #27
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Sounds good to me. One of the best parts of the new movie is that Uhura finally got to be the female lead, instead of playing second fiddle to some new character like Ilia, Saavik, Gillian Taylor, Valeris, etc.

Uhura has indeed paid her dues and deserves to be given the conn instead of the 17-year old (although admittedly, Uhura is only about a year older than him!).

I'd still quite like to see some of the other women too though - I think it would be great fun if they actually developed Ilia as a character instead of using the green chicks, Saavik would be great eventually, but in the meantime I'd like Rand and Chapel.
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 04:36 PM   #28
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post

Uhura has indeed paid her dues and deserves to be given the conn instead of the 17-year old (although admittedly, Uhura is only about a year older than him!).

I'd still quite like to see some of the other women too though - I think it would be great fun if they actually developed Ilia as a character instead of using the green chicks, Saavik would be great eventually, but in the meantime I'd like Rand and Chapel.
Agreed. Now that they've successfully reintroduced the original crew, we can definitely use another female character, too. I just don't want Uhura to get upstaged by some new love interest for Kirk . . . .
Old April 26 2010, 04:40 PM   #29
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Pauln6 wrote: View Post

Agreed. Now that they've successfully reintroduced the original crew, we can definitely use another female character, too. I just don't want Uhura to get upstaged by some new love interest for Kirk . . . .
Ditto - I want Rand to be an action heroine not make moon eyes at Kirk. Although having said that, I wouldn't be totally averse to a bit of spiky dialogue with Carol Marcus as long as she's part of the plot rather than just a love interest. As a planetary scientist, I should imagine that her presence could dovetail with the Vulcan plot.
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 04:43 PM   #30
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

But even for a species facing extinction, you need enough individuals from both genders in order to tango. Maybe there's more Vulcan males left than females, in which case Spock wouldn't be needed.
I think he would. The genetic diversity that Spock would provide to the Vulcan species at large will always be needed.

Maybe not urgently, though - Orci and Kurtzman have said that the 10,000 survivors of Vulcan is *in addition to* Vulcans who were living offworld at the time, so there could be many more. Probably enough to ensure a viable genetic base even without Spock.

And who cares what Sarek wants or thinks? At the end of the last movie, Spock made it clear that he's going his own way.
But Spock and Sarek are clearly still close (they're not estranged like they were when we first met Sarek in TOS). I think Spock will listen to what his dad says.