RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,695
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 535
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old April 23 2010, 07:41 PM   #1
greenguy
Commander

Send a message via AIM to greenguy
The Lwaxana Troi Appreciation Thread

I wanted to create this thread so that everyone can remember Majel and/or her on-screen character, Lwaxana Troi. I was disappointed to hear that Leonard Nimoy was quitting the Con circuit after this year, so it just made me think of all the Trek crew members who I never got to see---particularly Majel, who died just as I was getting into Star Trek. What are your favorite memories of her?

On other sites, I have found that Lwaxana isn't that popular and that people find the episodes she's in to be rather excessive and campy. However, I think Lwaxana is a pulchritudinous embodiment of what Star Trek was supposed to be---she is an artistic character whose honesty and a freedom is perfect when coupled with a Betazoid sex drive (which is all something we should strive for, in my opinion).
greenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2010, 08:34 PM   #2
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Re: The Lwaxana Troi Appreciation Thread

I will always give Majel credit for being very accessible to the fans at conventions. She was one of the first Trek actors I ever met, and always gave people time to say hello. That was very appreciated.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23 2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Joeman
Captain

greenguy wrote: View Post
What are your favorite memories of her?
When she was the computer voice of Stewie's ship on Family Guy. That was great.

I hated the Lwaxana character, but other than that I had a lot of respect for her.
Old April 24 2010, 08:23 PM   #4
indolover
Fleet Captain

I liked her. I loved how Picard would cringe when she came on board

i think she was a well meaning and friendly person, but she was overbearing and annoying.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

I like Lwaxana. There's a scene in the DS9 episode The Forsaken where Lwaxana and Odo get stuck in a lift that is just lovely.
Old April 24 2010, 10:56 PM   #6
Joeman
Captain

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
There's a scene in the DS9 episode The Forsaken where Lwaxana and Odo get stuck in a lift that is just lovely.
I agree with that. I actually didn't cringe when she was on DS9 anywhere near like I did on TNG.
Old April 25 2010, 03:21 AM   #7
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

People hate Lxwana because she was annoying...well, she was supposed to be annoying and that is what made her so good. Majel was brilliant in that role and you could see she had a lot of fun doing it.

I do miss her but I am happy she is finally united with her "dear Gene".
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2010, 05:00 AM   #8
Joeman
Captain

edit

Last edited by Joeman; April 25 2010 at 09:26 AM.
Joeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2010, 05:08 AM   #9
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

People are comparing Lwaxana with Neelix...?

Horrible!

Neelix would butt into everything; Lwaxana knew when to keep to herself (and be serious) and when to joke around.

One of her best scenes is when the audience is first introduced to her in 'Haven.' She beamed up to the ENT facing the wall, and panics asking 'Where is everybody?' She then quickly composes herself when she faces Deanna and others who are welcoming her.
Old April 25 2010, 05:58 AM   #10
Maniarek
Lieutenant

greenguy wrote: View Post
What are your favorite memories of her?
Anytime Lwaxana and Jean-Luc crossed paths

Her performance was great in Half a Life. Great character conflict and I think this is easily the best Lwaxana episode in TNG (and I'm glad the story ended the way it did, it wouldn't have worked any other way IMO).

Maniarek.
Maniarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2010, 06:05 AM   #11
Maniarek
Lieutenant

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
I will always give Majel credit for being very accessible to the fans at conventions. She was one of the first Trek actors I ever met, and always gave people time to say hello. That was very appreciated.
I didn't know that about her, it’s nice to see she was always willing to take the time to interact and thank her fans. A lot of other celebrities could learn from her.

Maniarek.
Maniarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25 2010, 09:23 AM   #12
Joeman
Captain

Edit - should not have even posted in this thread.
Old April 25 2010, 05:09 PM   #13
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

What I enjoyed most about Lwaxana was Deanna's reaction to her, and how Majel Barrett and Marina Sirtis appeared to have such fun playing their roles. Seeing Deanna so flustered always amused me, and I think that Sirtis enjoyed the opportunity to play her role differently.
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 03:47 AM   #14
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

The Lwaxana episodes have grown on me. I'm also impressed with her acting. You might not expect such a range from a what might have been a one-note character. I watched Menage a Troi last night. There is a scene in which the Ferengi shows her the bed, and then it cuts to Majel. She conveys so much in that one look - it could have easily been lost with a more generic expression of discomfort. I don't know if the other cast members could have pulled it off with such depth. And that one look sets up the tension for the next several segments - the fear of her being raped/molested to protect Troi and Riker.
She was an excellent actor. Another often hated Lwaxana episode, "Cost of Living" - it may not be phaser blasting, time-altering sci-fi (which tend to be my favorites)but it says more than a lot of those episodes do. "Dark Page" was a strong Lwaxana ep also.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26 2010, 02:46 PM   #15
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Lwaxana was annoying and i loved her for it! The reactions she got from Picard, Worf and Deanna were great. And the episode Half a Life was wonderful thanks in part to her beautiful performance.

I never got to meet Majel and that will forever be one of my disappointments in life. I think she was extraordinary!
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote