IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Closed Thread

Old April 22 2010, 02:50 PM   #211
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: How Thor breaks down racial barriers in Asgard

Thespeckledkiwi wrote: View Post
THEY ARE NOT GETTING A HANDOUT. They auditioned. The group decided they liked person a better than person b. Who the hell cares if they are black or white?
"They're getting a handout" is one of the most popular racist accusations against attempts to redress racial inequality in the U.S. Other than simple resentment, it's based originally on the lame rationalization that people who have directly benefitted all of their lives from stolen wealth are not responsible for having stolen it themselves and therefore should be allowed to keep all of it without question.
Old April 22 2010, 02:54 PM   #212
Hermiod
Admiral

You also do realize that many, many white people have been filmed for roles that were a) black b) asian c) any other minority?
I already argued against the miscasting of non-white characters with white actors approximately fifty times in this thread alone.

THEY ARE NOT GETTING A HANDOUT. They auditioned. The group decided they liked person a better than person b. Who the hell cares if they are black or white?
To be fair, Will Smith hasn't auditioned for a job in twenty years - roles are written for him.

I was making a general point about people like Dennis who attempt to apologise for "white privilege" by choosing black people or women or anyone ahead of a white male because somehow that makes the world more "equal" - a word they clearly do not understand.

And does it really matter since these guys are Gods? What does white have anything to do with Heimdall's character at all in the comic book? He's a freaking mystic pretty much. He could be green and I could care less because his color has nothing to do with his abilities.
Again, for the fiftieth time, I wasn't arguing about Heimdall. I was arguing about iconic characters. Heimdall is at best a supporting cast member.
Old April 22 2010, 02:57 PM   #213
Hermiod
Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
"They're getting a handout" is one of the most popular racist accusations against attempts to redress racial inequality in the U.S. Other than simple resentment, it's based originally on the lame rationalization that people who have directly benefitted all of their lives from stolen wealth are not responsible for having stolen it themselves and therefore should be allowed to keep all of it without question.
Yes yes, and the CIA invented cocaine to keep the black man down and 9/11 was an inside job.

Sure.

Oh and nice trolling from whoever added the "white power" tag.
Old April 22 2010, 03:05 PM   #214
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

So you must really hate any biblical movie in the past what? 100 years?

Um what? I am Legend?
Old April 22 2010, 03:09 PM   #215
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

I approve of this casting. I could join in the arguments about racially motivated casting, but to be perfectly honest I just don't feel like it. My feelings on that issue vary from project to project, and in this case I don't see the casting as being racially motivated. To that end I'm pleased with the decision.
Old April 22 2010, 03:14 PM   #216
Neroon
Mod of balance

And thus ends another chapter in the digital version of "How to Win Friends and Influence People ... NOT".
Closed Thread