New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old April 21 2010, 08:50 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Shatner For Governor General

When the current Governor General steps down this year, readers of The Mark, a Canadian online political publication, have a candidate to replace her, the one and only Captain Kirk!In a very informal poll, Shatner is handily beating the other candidates, which include hockey stars Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky.The Governor General is the viceregal [...]

More...
Old April 22 2010, 01:43 AM   #2
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Shatner For Governor General

Cool as that might be (and it could be argued he has a many qualifications as the last few G-G's) I thought The Shat took out American citizenship some time ago, which would disqualify him. Yes, I know our present G-G was born in Haiti, but she's been a Canadian citizen for decades, and Shatner would have to get it again, and the clock might start over again - too late for him to apply for the job. Of course, I happily stand corrected if I'm wrong so someone correct me, please!

Alex
Old April 22 2010, 02:07 AM   #3
Colonel Green
Vice Admiral

I am the only Canadian who finds the notion of an American like T'Bonz suggesting a candidate for Governor General of Canada offensive?

- Homer
Old April 22 2010, 02:38 AM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ But Bonz herself isn't suggesting anything. The readers of the Canadian publication are. She's just reporting it.

As for Shatner's citizenship: Does the fact that he became an American citizen automatically nullify his Canadian citizenship? I didn't know it worked like that.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old April 22 2010, 03:21 AM   #5
Geck
Rear Admiral

^ It wouldn't, no. He most likely has dual citizenship, unless he renounced his Canadian citizenship. I'm not 100% sure though, so don't quote me on how it works.
Old April 22 2010, 03:36 AM   #6
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Colonel Green wrote: View Post
I am the only Canadian who finds the notion of an American like T'Bonz suggesting a candidate for Governor General of Canada offensive?
I don't recollect suggesting him as candidate.

As much as I like Shatner's portrayal of Kirk, I don't make the mistake as so many seem to do of thinking that a character's qualities are reflected in the actor portraying that character. I have no idea whether Shatner would be good in that office or not and since I'm not Canadian, I haven't wasted much time thinking about it, other than a brief smile at the article and a quick bit of research to see what the office entailed, just because I'm the curious sort.

And by the way, you're beginning to ruin my normally excellent opinion of Canadians. It would be helpful for the reputation of your fellow Canadians in future if instead of opening your mouth and uttering stupidities like you just did, you do something more useful. Might I suggest emigrating somewhere that doesn't have Internet access? Your fellow Canadians will thank you.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old April 22 2010, 04:41 AM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
And by the way, you're beginning to ruin my normally excellent opinion of Canadians.
Watch a lot of Corner Gas, Bonz. That'll raise it again.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old April 22 2010, 05:33 AM   #8
Agent Richard07
Retired

Having Captain Kirk as Governor General?

[Shatnervoice]It would be... Fun![/Shatnervoice]

Geck wrote: View Post
He most likely has dual citizenship, unless he renounced his Canadian citizenship.
I don't think anyone actually does that.
Old April 22 2010, 08:04 AM   #9
Geck
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post

Geck wrote: View Post
He most likely has dual citizenship, unless he renounced his Canadian citizenship.
I don't think anyone actually does that.
Yeah, I can't imagine why anyone would either, unless they wanted to get citizenship somewhere else that didn't allow dual (or more, as the case may be) citizenship.

As to the topic at hand.....umm. I love the Shat, and this would certainly be...amusing. But no. He may be appropriate in the eyes of those who consider the continued existence of the office to be a farce, but I still believe in its value, especially in the direction Michaelle Jean has taken it. While the role of the office within Canada itself is basically an empty figurehead, she's used the position to be a fantastic diplomatic ambassador for the country. My actual pick for GG would be to give her a second term, but sadly that's not happening.