TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 20 2010, 06:33 AM   #31
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: Star Wars saga on Blu-Ray announced

From what I understand what Smitts actually shot were scenes of Bail Organa for TPM. Bail Organa was originally played by Adrian Dunbar but his scenes were cut from the theatrical version of TPM. It's logical that GL would want to introduce Organa into the saga earlier than AotC and reshooting the Dunbar stuff was the perfect way to handle that introduction.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2010, 06:35 AM   #32
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

And what about the supposed replacing of the Yoda in Episode I with a different CGI model which more closely matched the one in II and III? Has this actually been done?
Old April 20 2010, 06:39 AM   #33
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Yeah. A clip of that ended up on the RotS DVD.
Old April 20 2010, 07:36 AM   #34
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Yeah. A clip of that ended up on the RotS DVD.
But wasn't there supposed to be a new version of TPM which incorporated it? (Before any talk of Blu-Ray, that is.)
Old April 20 2010, 07:39 AM   #35
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I don't think there was any talk about LFL doing a TPM: SE for DVD other than the usual fan chatter. Lucas and McCallum usually implied in interviews that they were saving everything for the next format.
Old April 20 2010, 07:44 AM   #36
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

If LFL did a TPM SE for DVD, wouldn't they keep that kind of P.C. on the Q.T.? Because if it leaks to the rest of the U.S.A. somebody could end up M.I.A. and we'd all be put on K.P.
Old April 20 2010, 07:51 AM   #37
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Headache... Headache... Headache...
Old April 20 2010, 12:31 PM   #38
Mr Light
Admiral

The one ridiculous missing scene from the Special Edition is an actual showing of Palpatine dissolving the Senate and Bail Organa actually dying.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2010, 12:58 PM   #39
DeadmeatDiggory
Commander

RandyS wrote: View Post
Dukhat wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Is the Biggs scene finally going to be inserted into ANH?
I doubt it, since it hasn't been done so far. Ditto for the Camie & Fixer scene and the "Han with chick" scene in the cantina. Perhaps they'll be in the deleted scenes?

What I'm really hoping they'll eventually do is to let the viewer choose which scene they'd like to watch: Han shooting first, or Greedo shooting first...
Didn't they fix that by having them shoot at the same time?
You jest, but I can see that scene so clearly in my head... and I bet the farm they do do that.

Hehe, do do!
Old April 20 2010, 02:01 PM   #40
J.T.B.
Commodore

It is odd these scenes never get re-inserted. I mean, the Jabba scene is pretty pointless, as it is basically just a rehash of the Greedo scene. But that got re-added in 1997. Are Biggs, Camie & Fixer, and Han's girlfriend even more pointless than that?
Lucas decided, fairly late in the editing process, that the movie would be stronger if first section was from the droids' point of view only, and that the viewer should not know whether there was any civilization on Tatooine or if the droids were escaping to an empty desert wilderness. There was some strong resistance from editor Marcia Lucas, who had cut the early scenes with Luke and wanted them left in. But, even though it's hard for most of us to remember what it was like to not know Luke was on Tatooine, I think Lucas' choice was the right one. It wouldn't be bad to have them included as bonus material, but because Lucas cutting them was pretty fundamental to the narrative of the movie, I don't see them being put back in. But, it wouldn't surprise me if I was proven wrong, either.

The Greedo dialogue was re-written originally because the Jabba scene was cut, so I agree they are redundant and never thought the re-insertion of the Jabba scene added anything.

--Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2010, 03:04 PM   #41
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

There is a reason why the original Star Wars won for best editing and the beginning is a major reason why.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2010, 03:12 PM   #42
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Is the Biggs scene finally going to be inserted into ANH?
I doubt it, since it hasn't been done so far. Ditto for the Camie & Fixer scene and the "Han with chick" scene in the cantina. Perhaps they'll be in the deleted scenes?

What I'm really hoping they'll eventually do is to let the viewer choose which scene they'd like to watch: Han shooting first, or Greedo shooting first...
"Fix" no. Fix would imply something was broken which, OK, something was broken but what was broken was ruining the rougishness of Han's character by having him shoot second. There was nothing "broken" about the original scene to "fix" in the SE. The SE was about Lucas adding in CGI nonsense and scenes he couldn't do int he 70s. Fine, whatever, if Lucas wanted a bunch of goofy, distracting, creatures fooling around in the foreground during scenes and have dumb scenes of aliens singing pop songs in the middle of his movies fine, whatever. But no technological limitation in the 70s prevented him from having Greedo "shoot first." It's a change to Han's character a change that didn't need to be made. Han is a rougish anti-hero he cares more about his personal safety above all-else (until his character arc is complete by the end of the movie.) There was no need to have Greedo shoot first, or to have them "shoot at the same time" and further Han's dodging of the moving at the speed of light LASER beam looks dumb.

"Fixed it" by having them shoot at the same time?

Bullshit!
Old April 20 2010, 03:54 PM   #43
Sparky
Commodore

They should be the Adywan editions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr2hO...eature=related

Skip to 3:40 for the evidence.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20 2010, 05:05 PM   #44
The Wormhole
Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
It is odd these scenes never get re-inserted. I mean, the Jabba scene is pretty pointless, as it is basically just a rehash of the Greedo scene. But that got re-added in 1997. Are Biggs, Camie & Fixer, and Han's girlfriend even more pointless than that?
Lucas decided, fairly late in the editing process, that the movie would be stronger if first section was from the droids' point of view only, and that the viewer should not know whether there was any civilization on Tatooine or if the droids were escaping to an empty desert wilderness. There was some strong resistance from editor Marcia Lucas, who had cut the early scenes with Luke and wanted them left in. But, even though it's hard for most of us to remember what it was like to not know Luke was on Tatooine, I think Lucas' choice was the right one. It wouldn't be bad to have them included as bonus material, but because Lucas cutting them was pretty fundamental to the narrative of the movie, I don't see them being put back in. But, it wouldn't surprise me if I was proven wrong, either.
But these days, if one were to watch the prequels first, than they would know there is civilization on Tatooine. So, in light of that it wouldn't really hurt the narrative too much to re-insert the scenes with Biggs and Luke's other friends.

Besides, it just seems that they have an action figure of Biggs wearing the costume he had on in that scene despite it never being in the movie.
Old April 20 2010, 05:20 PM   #45
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

DeadmeatDiggory wrote: View Post

You jest, but I can see that scene so clearly in my head... and I bet the farm they do do that.

Hehe, do do!
No, I don't jest. After the fan hatred of the 1997 SE change, I remember hearing that Lucas was planning to fix the scene for the 2004 DVD release so that they fired at the same time.

Or so I thought. I wasn't sure, that's why I asked.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote