Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old April 14 2010, 03:03 PM   #1
22 Stars
Commodore

TWOK on Bluray FX question

Hey there, for those with TWOK on Bluray, I was watching the last half hour and noticed that the FX shots of the Enterprise and Reliant around Regula, including the shot of the Enterprise under Regula, and the tilt up past the planetioid, to reveal the Reliant above near the station are completely desaturated in color. Also the shots of the Ent and Reliant leaving orbit of Regula are "almost" black and white!? My DVD copy shows these with a warm tone, Regula is quite brown in hue on the DVD, but the Bluray has a totally different look? Almost like they used unfinished effects footage for this print. All other FX in the film look great.

Just wondering if anyone else sees that difference? I'm watching on a very high-end system, including a full 1080p DLP projector, and the rest of the film, as well as other Bluray discs look cinema perfect.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2010, 05:38 PM   #2
Grant
Fleet Captain

Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

The movie was supposedly restored to its 'proper' color.

It is FAR different that any other version I have ever seen on home video.

If you compare--as i did----the Blu-ray and the DVD---it is almost shocking how different the colors are. After seeing the darker reds and deeper colors all these years i just can't get used to the new 'bluer' version.

hopefully when they finally get around to releasing the Director's Cut they will rethink this drastic change.

I prefer the Director's cut anyway---so i can just continue to watch that---now for two reasons: cut and color.

The Blu-ray has better clarity.

Hey, what am I talking about TWOK or diamonds?
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2010, 06:34 PM   #3
RobertScorpio
Pariah

i actually prefer the bright blues now...so go figure...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2010, 07:34 PM   #4
22 Stars
Commodore

Thanks Grant, glad to see it's not just me!

I gotta say, the color temperature/white balance change is really huge, I'm considering programming a preset into my projetor to try to compensate!

Rob, I can understand in some scenes enjoying shift towards the blues, but do you really like the FX shots I mentioned? They look pretty awful to me, not just preference-wise but the quality just looks shoddy.
Old April 16 2010, 07:42 PM   #5
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I'd be curious to see some screenshots for comparison.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2010, 07:50 PM   #6
22 Stars
Commodore

Here is what i could find easily online. Not sure the source for the HD, but this is a good example in any case:

DVD
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...2/twok0878.jpg

HD
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...twokhd0766.jpg
Old April 16 2010, 07:53 PM   #7
22 Stars
Commodore

And this. The DVD warmer color temp is really the way I remember it in the cinema. Whoever changed this is just nuts in my opinion:

DVD
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...2/twok0888.jpg

HD
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...twokhd0776.jpg
Old April 16 2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Grant
Fleet Captain

Wow, i can't believe the difference side by side and I KNEW there was a big difference.

I was groping for a word to descibe it and yes I agree the guy who did it---was just plain nuts.

And I just realized, one of the very first pictures released in 1982 (a Starlog article) from TWOK was the Enterprise in orbit around regula and you know what?---Regula was exactly the color of the DVD and most certainly NOT that of the Blu-ray.

i wonder if the guy thought 'Blu-ray' meant the color palet should be 'really blue' ?

Now, I really want the Director's Cut on Blu-ray done right.
Old April 16 2010, 08:31 PM   #9
22 Stars
Commodore

Lol, Grant, for those of us who remember ST II when it came out, Regula has been and always shall be brown I have to say this is just wrong, not even a matter of taste etc. the bluray shots just don't look like they should, or did.
Old April 16 2010, 08:33 PM   #10
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

Is it possible that people in the industry have become numb to anything that doesn't have LOTS and LOTS of blue and or grey in the images? I'm getting pretty sick of seeing this myself. It's become a crutch to hide FX work and a means to convey mood. Unfortunately, the majority of movies coming out now look like this. It sucks.
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2010, 08:37 PM   #11
22 Stars
Commodore

I know what you mean Destiny, but this is a case where i think the people tweaking the film print master, just moved things over to the blue as a matter of taste or accident, not for any real artistic purpose or anything.

As Grant said, I'm sure there will be another Bluray release sometime correcting this. Maybe Paramount will give Darren Docterman and his guys the money to render TMP director edition FX in HD, and get that to us as well.
Old April 16 2010, 08:44 PM   #12
Grant
Fleet Captain

Yes, it looks just like a blatant mistake by someone who had never seen all the other versions of TWOK (theatrical, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD etc) and just 'pushed a button' too far in one direction.

who knows, maybe it was shot that way and in editing, in 1982, they decided the red/brown palet would look much better. Then when the dude was doing the restoration he simply went to the original negative and went by that rather than looking to see how the director/cinematographer wanted it.

they claim that Meyer supervised the restoration, but listen to his new commentary---at one point he is talking and realizes that it is not the Director's cut he is watching--he is completely surprised. How big could his invovlvement be if he didn't know what cut they were using??
Old April 16 2010, 09:02 PM   #13
22 Stars
Commodore

^ yeah, Nick Meyer didn't sit there and say 'Hey guys, the ship and the planet should be BLUE!'
Old April 18 2010, 06:35 AM   #14
Gagarin
Commander

Wow they really fucked that up!
Are the phasers blue now, too?
Gagarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18 2010, 08:39 AM   #15
startrekrcks
Fleet Captain

View startrekrcks's Twitter Profile