Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 14 2010, 07:53 PM   #16
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Nearly 800,000 U.S. TV households 'cut the cord'

This isn't at all surprising with the economy how it is.
Old April 15 2010, 02:32 AM   #17
KB24
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

I agree that if it weren't for sports, I probably wouldn't have cable. I don't really watch any first run shows that can't be found elsewhere if need be. I don't often watch my On Demand option either. Generally I'm content with my own dvds, netflix, and the roku box.

The antenna angle in the article struck me the most. I suspect more people do this route,j ust plugging in and seeing what they can get. I'm sure now that's much better than when we were kids in the sticks with only the 3 networks, PBS, and if we really tried the rabbit ears, fox.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2010, 03:17 AM   #18
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Network and Cable must be scrambling to figure out how to make money...
Not cable, they're growing. Network TV is more vulnerable since they have no subscription revenue to offset declining viewership.

In theory, the downloading market will grow to compensate for the losses elsewhere, but those numbers are still very trivial compared with old fashioned ad revenues.

As for Netflix, it'll contribute to revenues indirectly, like DVD rentals and sales as a whole already do.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2010, 04:29 AM   #19
Ryan
Commodore

There's not much concern since the majority of cable companies are also in the ISP business. They'll just start charging a "convenience" fee for customers like me who don't have cable bundled with their internet (not looking forward to that day).

I cut the cord a number of years ago and was kinda surprised how little I missed cable. When I'm at a friend's and they complain they've got 100 channels and nothing's on I like to remind them they're paying $800+ a year for that privilege.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2010, 05:21 AM   #20
Sheep
Vice Admiral

I cut the cord when I moved into my own place (no more housemate to split the cost) and couldn't justify an extra $60 a month (minimum) to subscribe to cable television.

I have an OTA HD antenna connected to my HTPC and broadband through Comcast for $50 a month which pretty much supplies all the entertainment I need (broadcast TV, Netflix streaming, Xbox Live, the occasional torrent). I don't miss cable one bit, much to my own surprise.
Old April 15 2010, 05:35 AM   #21
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

I'm only paying about $35 per month for DirecTV. Of course, it's a simple package; no movie channels, etc.
Old April 15 2010, 05:57 AM   #22
RoJoHen
Awesome

I went 6 months without cable and could have continued forever, but when I moved a month ago, it made more sense to get a cable/internet package than just internet by itself. However, I very much need to get a DVR. Cable without a DVR is practically useless to me because I work when my favorite shows are on.
Old April 15 2010, 12:54 PM   #23
Scout101
Admiral

Arrqh wrote: View Post
Scout101 wrote: View Post
Less than a percent, so not really much to try and draw a trend from, especially if you consider that some of it is likely a result of the current economic situation, and not because of choice or finding the internet/netflix more convenient...
It's just a fraction of the market, but there's still enough data to pull out a general trend.
Disagree. Not really talking about a big enough number yet to draw any conclusions or trends. This article, plus the ones you showed, also want to attach meaning to the small number, and why they did it. With the economy in the shitter, could just be too expensive to keep cable or satellite. When the economy rebounds, and some of these people get cable again, it won't be a trend towards the internet/netflix dying, it'll be about money, just like a big chunk of the people that went TO the internet before the recession.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2010, 03:23 PM   #24
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Arrqh wrote: View Post
Less than a percent, so not really much to try and draw a trend from, especially if you consider that some of it is likely a result of the current economic situation, and not because of choice or finding the internet/netflix more convenient...
It's just a fraction of the market, but there's still enough data to pull out a general trend.
Disagree. Not really talking about a big enough number yet to draw any conclusions or trends. This article, plus the ones you showed, also want to attach meaning to the small number, and why they did it. With the economy in the shitter, could just be too expensive to keep cable or satellite. When the economy rebounds, and some of these people get cable again, it won't be a trend towards the internet/netflix dying, it'll be about money, just like a big chunk of the people that went TO the internet before the recession.
Also note that it takes just a drop of water to start a flood.
Old April 15 2010, 04:09 PM   #25
Scout101
Admiral

And just like in your metaphor, context is everything. Sometimes it's just a drop of water. Gotta either show a lot MORE drops of water, saturated ground, a dam about to let go, SOMETHING, before you point at a leaky faucet and declare that it's time to build an ark...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old April 15 2010, 04:18 PM   #26
mrcoaster
Fleet Admiral

Is the ark going to have cable or satellite?
Old April 15 2010, 04:31 PM   #27
Scout101
Admiral

Seems like probably just bringing old DVDs is the answer, as even getting to a mailbox would be difficult