Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 12 2010, 08:20 AM   #16
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Re: Watching Farscape lately...

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
I feel "Look at the Princess," while not bad, is kinda over-rated. "Liars, Guns, and Money" is far more my speed as far as three-parters go. Farscape is still on of my favorite shows. You just have to remember to take the good with the bad. When the show was firing on all cylinders it was some of the best damn tv anyone has ever made.
The reason I mentioned it in my first post is because when I first saw those episodes, they did nothing for me. Now, having rewatched them I noticed how much these episodes set up the latter part of the season, and in fact the rest of the show. I agree that the Liars Guns and Money trilogy is far better, but I'm not there yet, so I can't judge on a second viewing.

Farscape is one of few shows, on which I could tell if I would like an episode just by finding out who had written it. I pretty much dislike all episodes written by Justin Monjo (Taking The Stone, The Locket, The choice) but everything by Kemper, Manning or Shankar was pure gold!
Old April 12 2010, 08:58 AM   #17
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
You just have to remember to take the good with the bad. When the show was firing on all cylinders it was some of the best damn tv anyone has ever made.
Yep. No show appeals to everyone but more than most Farscape is not for everyone. When it was poor it was horrible; when it was great it touched heights few other shows have even approached, let alone equalled.

Scotty wrote: View Post
I pretty much dislike all episodes written by Justin Monjo (Taking The Stone, The Locket, The choice) but everything by Kemper, Manning or Shankar was pure gold!
No argument on the latter, but in one of those "to each their own" things I have to say I don't dislike any Monjo episode. In fact, while "Taking the Stone" is so-so and "The Locket" is pretty damned decent for a mushy-gushy type of episode (the type which I usually find repellent), "The Choice" is probably my favourite episode of the entire series.
Old April 12 2010, 09:38 AM   #18
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
It's in the Deleted Scenes section. Is that the only time they reference a deleted scene in a Previously On?
It's the only time I've ever noticed it. If they did it elsewhere it was far more subtly done.
Scotty wrote: View Post
Farscape is one of few shows, on which I could tell if I would like an episode just by finding out who had written it. I pretty much dislike all episodes written by Justin Monjo (Taking The Stone, The Locket, The choice) but everything by Kemper, Manning or Shankar was pure gold!
That's a compelling point. I didn't know Monjo was responsible for all three episodes, though they're ones I dislike for varying reasons (now that I think of it, they're all on the soapish sentimental side, ain't they? Woe is me, wah wah wah.)
Old April 12 2010, 09:54 AM   #19
Aeon
Commander

Can wrote: View Post
For me ( and this is a biased opinion ) Farscape is absolutely one of the best if not finest space opera/fantasy show for last decade. Characters were written with a wonderful touch and played with amazing interpretation. Chemistry and interaction between characters are incredible. Character development is quite good. Not to mention best romance story I have ever seen in sci-fi genre. Farscape universe is crazy , funny , weird but also dangerous , gritty and sometimes dark. High production values also help a lot... Yes there are some stinker episodes like "Taking the Stone" or "A Prefect Murder" but that is not an exception in other successful sci-fi franchises either. And even those bad episodes add something to universe of Farscape , change the characters , outlook and merge with rest of series. They are not meaningless stand alones. (mostly)

I only regard two other series in same level with Farscape. Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica. They have different thames , plots , messages of course. But about orginality in sci-fi those three series are perfection for me.
You pretty much summed up my feelings about Farscape.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2010, 09:54 AM   #20
Pingfah
Admiral

I never liked this series when it was on, but I checked it out on DVD to assure myself that I didn't like it, and it turned out that I do in fact like it.

But I got through the first 2 seasons thinking it was great, and then stalled about 2/3 through S3, it just seemed to somehow lose it's soul, around the time the blue lady left.
Old April 12 2010, 01:26 PM   #21
Forbin
Admiral

I.... actually like Taking the Stone.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2010, 02:01 PM   #22
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
I.... actually like Taking the Stone.
It's one thing to like Taking the Stone. It's quite another to actually admit it!

Old April 12 2010, 02:12 PM   #23
Checkmate
Commodore

People consider "The Locket" one of the worst episodes? Really? That amazes me. It was one of my favorites, and one of maybe three that actually ripped a tear from my eyes.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2010, 02:19 PM   #24
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Pingfah wrote: View Post
But I got through the first 2 seasons thinking it was great, and then stalled about 2/3 through S3, it just seemed to somehow lose it's soul, around the time the blue lady left.
Really. I find season season 3 to be the strongest year. Stalling on the early part of season 4 is much more what I'd expect....it's a bit of a come-down for a while until it starts to ramp back up mid-season.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2010, 04:08 PM   #25
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Checkmate wrote: View Post
People consider "The Locket" one of the worst episodes? Really? That amazes me. It was one of my favorites.
Yeah, mine too.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2010, 04:14 PM   #26
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kegg wrote: View Post

After watching the entire show twice I still have no idea what's really going on in the Arnessk arc.
What exactly don't you get?
Old April 12 2010, 05:36 PM   #27
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

I love Farscape, I recently bought the entire series as well. I think Season 1 and 2 are actually my favorites (I'm partway through Season 4) because they seem to focus more on characterization than on convoluted plotlines. Having said that, I do enjoy the convoluted plotlines. But it's the characters I really like. Crichton is probably my favorite main character out of any sci-fi, and Stark is my second favorite character on Farscape. I don't like that they replaced Jool with Sikozu, just when I was starting to like Jool.
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2010, 06:20 PM   #28
Kegg
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post

After watching the entire show twice I still have no idea what's really going on in the Arnessk arc.
What exactly don't you get?
Most of everything that's going on, really. I'd have to rewatch it a third time, but the short veresion is the motivations of half a dozen characters make no sense at all - mostly the villains, but also Noranti.
Old April 12 2010, 06:28 PM   #29
Aeon
Commander

TiberiusMaximus wrote: View Post
I don't like that they replaced Jool with Sikozu, just when I was starting to like Jool.
I totally agree. In my opinion Sikozu never was a well-defined character. Often times her loyalties and decisions felt out of place. All the stuff about the resistance, her relationship with Scorpius, her actions in The Peacekeeper Wars etc. Very odd to say the least. Not to mention she was incredibly annoying with all her arrogance, even more so than Jool ever was.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2010, 06:30 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome

I loved Sikozu, but I admit it took rewatching Season 4 about half a dozen times before that happened. I find her fascinating.