IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 9 2010, 05:25 AM   #31
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Merlin Season 2 in the US

I don't think anything could have made Merlin work on NBC. It's in a genre that's a tough sell on network TV and programs that don't directly target either kids or adults are a tough fit on American TV anyway.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 03:21 PM   #32
JD
Admiral

Plus it's British, and sadly that probably scared some people away.
Old April 10 2010, 06:04 AM   #33
Snaploud
Admiral

One of the problems (other than unsympathetic characters) is that this incarnation goes completely off the deep end when it comes to re-interpreting the Merlin and Arthur characters. Merlin is special because he is old, wise, and knowledgeable, so they made their Merlin young, unwise, and ignorant. Arthur is special because he grew up poor and understands how to treat people well, so they made their Arthur a spoiled rich kid who doesn't know who to treat people.

I realize that there isn't any one way to tell the Camelot story, but this interpretation is a bit of a stretch for even the most forgiving of audiences.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2010, 02:37 AM   #34
KB24
Fleet Captain

View KB24's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

AT first I didnt' like the first couple eps of Merlin because of the changes you mention. But once they get into their season and quit with the creature of the week simplistic storylines, they actually do character episodes and explain why the people are the way they are and how they change into the legends of which we know. Their take is juvenielle, yes, and msot of the forums online are al screaming little girls who don't know Mordred from Adam, but I like the series, mature conflict eps that are akin to the issues of the myths.
http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogspot.com
KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2010, 03:53 AM   #35
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Needs more talking dragon.

Everytime there's a problem, they should go talk to the dragon.

Also, vampires.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2010, 07:55 AM   #36
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Geez, this show is just bad... Extremely bad. I caught the season opener on SyFy, and I just had to turn it off after 40 minutes. Ugh.

Simplistic characters, bizarre Merlin reinterpretation... Nope, I won't watch this again.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2010, 04:02 AM   #37
KB24
Fleet Captain

View KB24's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to KB24 Send a message via Yahoo to KB24

The first few episodes of season 2 are kind of bad. For some reason instead of continuing with all the strides made in season one, the producers decided to reset some character development for some supposedly big and special guest star funny episodes. It didn't really work. The last 3 of the season are far better!
Old April 12 2010, 04:26 AM   #38
Snaploud
Admiral

KB24 wrote: View Post
The first few episodes of season 2 are kind of bad. For some reason instead of continuing with all the strides made in season one, the producers decided to reset some character development for some supposedly big and special guest star funny episodes. It didn't really work. The last 3 of the season are far better!
Good to know. I'm watching via SyFy. I find it amusing how quickly the writers had Merlin go from 'I'll never let you leave your cage' to 'I promise to set you free' when it comes to the dragon.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2010, 11:51 PM   #39
KB24
Fleet Captain

I like the Dragon and John Hurt's mix of mocap and vocal performance, but I think they played the creature and his use wrong from the start. Merlin can't periodically just happen to have an awesome agnry and wise Dragon to chat with at any time! I would rather the entire dragon storyline have been done over several two part episodes. I think there should be more of a reccurring cast as well, just to keep the court at Camelot a little heavy. Imagine if some of the storylines in Season 1 were going on at the same time! When you look at some of the serious latter season 2 storylines, you wonder the same thing. The show can be witty and for a youthful audience, but still be really serious, dark, and gritty. I would much rather they arc over more episodes instead of these early funny filler eps.
Old July 4 2010, 05:39 AM   #40
KB24
Fleet Captain

Wow took me awhile to find this thread! Did everyone quit watching on SyFy? I used mt DVR.

Anyhoo here's my review of Season 2

http://ithinkthereforeireview.blogsp...-season-2.html
Old July 4 2010, 03:59 PM   #41
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I've been enjoying the show, especially now that Morganna is slowing turning to the dark side . . . .

Here's hoping SyFy airs Season Three.
Old July 4 2010, 05:03 PM   #42
UncleRogi
Commander

I advise that one DOESN'T watch this. Apparently the writers haven't done their research well.

'Nuff said

You're not the Devil, and I'm no angel; we are simply two minds in contention. Do what you must, but not with him [Uncle Rogi]--Atoning Unifex to newborn Fury (Julian May)
UncleRogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2010, 05:24 PM   #43
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

UncleRogi wrote: View Post
I advise that one DOESN'T watch this. Apparently the writers haven't done their research well.
Depends on what a person wants out of Merlin, UncleRogi. If the viewer wants something with some fidelity to, say, Sir Thomas Malory, Merlin is going to be a head-scratching experience; trying to correlate Merlin's names and relationships to Malory will give one a mental aneurysm. There's no Arthurian "canon" in the sense of Star Trek or Star Wars. There are wildly divergent tales, some put more emphasis on Celtic mythology, some are drawn more upon Christian mythology. Some are more historical, some are completely ahistorical. Merlin isn't trying to be the definitive, authoritative retelling of the Matter of Britain; it's just trying to be an entertaining show for a family audience. In that regard, I think it succeeds.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2010, 06:02 PM   #44
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

'Nuff said

I doubt that it's a matter of sloppy research. They just looked at the raw material, then did their own thing--which is what people have been doing with the Arthurian mythos for centuries now.

It's all just myth and folklore anyway. There are no true, definitive facts to adhere to. I mean, it's not like Boorman's EXCALIBUR, the Broadway musical version of CAMELOT, Disney's SWORD IN THE STONE, and Monty Python are all scrupulously faithful to each other. Heck, the whole Lancelot/Guenevere thing was made up out of whole cloth centuries after the fact.

This is just the latest variant . . . .
Old July 4 2010, 06:41 PM   #45
captcalhoun
Admiral

'Nuff said
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote