New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 11 2010, 06:13 AM   #16
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler
Re: I just had a Firefly/Serenity Marathon

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
That part was hilarious because I absolutely did not see it coming.
Yeah that was great
There were a lot of scenes like that in the show, which made it fun to watch. I also liked the scene on that one episode where Mal was struggling with Nishka (?)- that guy who was torturing Mal and Wash- and when his crew launched a rescue attempt, Zoe initially told everybody to hang back because Mal didn't need any help and he quickly yelled out that he did and his crew rushed to his rescue.
I also liked the scene at the end of "Ariel" when he "lectured" Jayne about his actions on Ariel (his attempt to turn in Simon and River that nearly ruined their plans).
JediKnightButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2010, 08:58 AM   #17
StarshipDefiant
Captain

butlerd wrote: View Post
My wife and I rented the entire series and enjoyed it. We also saw the movie back when it first came out- before we watched the show. It was enjoyable but watching the series definitely helped me understand it better. We're fans of Whedon's work in general (Buffy, Angel), so it was pretty easy to get into. We were definitely bummed out that we ran out of episodes to watch so soon. My favorite episodes were "Ariel", "Out of Gas," and "Objects in Space" although nearly episode had some nice touches that made it at least somewhat enjoyable. Whedon shows tend to have just the right balance of action, comedy, drama and Firefly was no exception. It was interesting to watch a sci-fi show that might as well have been what a Star Wars show might look like if it were about Han Solo and his adventures before he joined the rebellion against the Empire. It's unfortunate that since Buffy, Whedon's shows haven't been quite as (commercially) successful.
"Out of Gas" and "Objects in Space" are among my favorite to, the first episode because it's a good episode about Mal and background on the ship and Mal's reasoning for getting the ship (the ending was just awesome). The later, is because it was a good episode about River and how the crew actually feel about the Tams

butlerd wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
That part was hilarious because I absolutely did not see it coming.
Yeah that was great
There were a lot of scenes like that in the show, which made it fun to watch. I also liked the scene on that one episode where Mal was struggling with Nishka (?)- that guy who was torturing Mal and Wash- and when his crew launched a rescue attempt, Zoe initially told everybody to hang back because Mal didn't need any help and he quickly yelled out that he did and his crew rushed to his rescue.
I also liked the scene at the end of "Ariel" when he "lectured" Jayne about his actions on Ariel (his attempt to turn in Simon and River that nearly ruined their plans).
Yes, the part where he said he does want help was pretty funny, and is an example of the humor behind the show (which is one of the reasons it was so popular, IMO).

I love this show, but I just can't bring myself to watch it all the time, probably because there's only a few episodes and there are moments in several episodes that I just...I am just not happy with what happened for one reason or another, I am almost disappointed with what happened, but that's normal I guess. Overall, it's a great series, and I wish it had gotten more then the 13/14 episodes it had.
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2010, 02:47 PM   #18
PKerr
Rear Admiral

A little off topic and not that I think it would happen in Firefly's case but has there ever been a show that got a second chance at a series years after cancellation?
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2010, 03:24 PM   #19
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Doctor Who is probably the most obvious example, but it was obviously a very special case. Not many other shows could have you redesign all the locations, recast or replace the main characters, and still be perfectly consistent with everything that happened before.
Old April 11 2010, 03:52 PM   #20
scnj
Captain

StarshipDefiant wrote: View Post
"Out of Gas" and "Objects in Space" are among my favorite to, the first episode because it's a good episode about Mal and background on the ship and Mal's reasoning for getting the ship (the ending was just awesome). The later, is because it was a good episode about River and how the crew actually feel about the Tams
I maintain that if they'd made Out Of Gas an extended episode (65 minutes or so) and added in how Simon, River and Book came to be aboard, it would have made for a better pilot episode than the Serenity two-parter. It would have probably had enough action for Fox to agree to it, and would have introduced us to all of the characters right away.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2010, 04:33 PM   #21
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

PKerr wrote: View Post
A little off topic and not that I think it would happen in Firefly's case but has there ever been a show that got a second chance at a series years after cancellation?
Doctor Who (new one is technically the same show, not a follow-up)
Family Matters (moved to CBS for its last season after ABC cancelled it)
Jericho (brought back for a 7-ep second season)
Scrubs (cancelled by NBC after 7th season, moved to ABC)
Family Guy
Babylon 5 (cancelled by PTEN, immediately offered a fifth season by TNT)
Futurama (season 6 coming this year)
Wormhole X-treme

And probably plenty others
Old April 11 2010, 05:11 PM   #22
Too Much Fun
Commodore

David cgc wrote: View Post
In my experience, it generally goes like this. You watch the pilot, and go, "Huh. That was pretty okay, I guess." A few weeks later, you're bored, so you watch "The Train Job." Again, sort of "eh." Then you watch "Bushwacked" maybe a week later. A couple days after that comes "Shindig," and then you figure, well, the disc is already in the player, so you do "Safe," too. Another day or two later, you give "Our Mrs. Reynolds" a try, and then you're hooked and watching as much as you can as quick as you can and are shaking and crying like a junkie in withdrawal by the time it's over.

So anyone who gives up on the show within the first three episodes isn't necessarily suffering from a criminal lack of taste.
Wow, that's a bit eerie how spot on you are about my reaction to the show. It never really won me over and hooked me until "Our Mrs. Reynolds", but even after that there were some episodes that bored me. I found some of the early episodes really hard to get through due to boredom...it was a very inconsistent show. As for the meaningless deaths in "Serenity", one of them didn't bother me because the character was hardly in the movie anyway, so the rest of the movie pretty much demonstrates how fine everything can go without him.

The other was just a cheap, totally unnecessary Joss Whedon shock tactic that I'm completely sick of at this point. I think "Dollhouse" and "Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog" were what made me realize how much Whedon uses that as a crutch to manufacture more suspense and made me officially fed up. It's pathetic now. Even in a comedic webfilm he has to kill off a major character. Ridiculous. It was awesome all those years ago in "Passion" and "The Body", but even on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" I thought a lot of sudden character deaths were stupid.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2010, 08:41 PM   #23
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston

See, now, I hadn't watched broadcast TV since Babylon 5 ended (couldn't afford cable anymore), but I'd been a big Buffy fan prior to that, so I was only vaguely aware that Joss had a new show in 2002; I think I heard a commercial for it on the radio.
When the first trailer for Serenity went online in April 2005, it spurred some recognition, so I went looking for the Firefly DVD, and then watched all the episodes in two days!
Oddly enough, I consider it to have the best Pilot episode that I've seen, and I've watched that one about 7 times now. I appear to be alone in that.
Old April 11 2010, 09:12 PM   #24
Training
Commander

I was hooked on the pilot. I saw bits of it first on the UK Sci-Fi channel but I just ignored it. I didn't even care that Dark Angel got cancelled for it. I just didn't bother.

Then I have to admit. I downloaded the show. Watched the first episode. BOOM! I was hooked like Tiger Woods to sex. I watched them all. Kept rewinding Janes song.

Went out and bought the DVD series.
Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2010, 10:32 PM   #25
StarshipDefiant
Captain

scnj wrote: View Post
StarshipDefiant wrote: View Post
I maintain that if they'd made Out Of Gas an extended episode (65 minutes or so) and added in how Simon, River and Book came to be aboard, it would have made for a better pilot episode than the Serenity two-parter. It would have probably had enough action for Fox to agree to it, and would have introduced us to all of the characters right away.
Possibly, yeah but there would probably have to be some changes, "Out of Gas" has that weird 'post pilot, several episodes in back story" feel to it (but then again, maybe it'd have been a smart move to use it because of that), but there's enough of an introductory feel to it, I suppose that it could be a good pilot.
StarshipDefiant is offline   Reply With Quote