Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old April 8 2010, 03:19 AM   #16
Penta
Commander

Re: Dog breeding in the age of Starships

*bows*

I try.

I would argue no. Humanoids interbreeding like that has always been a stretch, presuming there are alien sub-subspecies of canis lupis familiaris is asking for a bit much.
Penta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 12:53 AM   #17
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Oh, and I got that pic in an AU. HER name is Ziyal Dukat. Don't think you want that pic. (Even though the reason she has that name is that in THAT AU, Cardassian and Bajoran positions are reversed.)
Nope, don't want that pic after all. Though the Cardassian / Bajoran reversal is intriguing.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 01:59 AM   #18
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I figured you'd change your mind once you knew her name. Though SHE would say the same of TZ, because HER universe's Tora Naprem is NOT a nice person. Not at all. (Personality-wise, though, the irony is that I see the two Ziyals as close in personality...the differences are a bit more subtle than their parents, but you'd notice.)

Now, on subject...I don't imagine that "dogs" of different planets, however similar in appearance, would be able to breed because I suspect the retrovirus that created compatible humanoids was designed JUST to do that--create humanoids. Other stuff isn't in the plan, I don't think. On the other hand, I think that IF there were any stretches in the various "canids'" DNA that were at all compatible (since in the Trekiverse we have to assume that DNA and RNA are the "universal" genetic information carriers for carbon-based life forms, based on what we've heard on the show), you might see some people on non-Federation worlds do some genetic engineering to bring alien traits into Earth dogs. I suspect that sort of work would be frowned upon in the Federation, due to the stigma against augments, and also the concerns about upsetting the ecosystem.
Old April 9 2010, 02:06 AM   #19
Penta
Commander

And, y'know, creating psychodogs.
Penta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 02:07 AM   #20
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

That was kind of included in the "augments" thing.
Old April 9 2010, 11:41 AM   #21
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
it would have to be a breed that is relatively calm and quiet and doesn't have high exercise needs
Well a simple walk around the outside of deck ten on the Enterprise-D would be almost a kilometre, a fair tour of the corridors would easily be a few miles.

Add a quick trip to the holodeck every once in a while and most breeds would be OK I think.
Old April 9 2010, 12:33 PM   #22
maneth
Captain

A fish like Picard had would be the ideal pet aboard a starship...

Spock's cat made more sense than Archer's dog, particularly since the NX-01 didn't have holodecks. Cats are territorial, and provided the owner is high enough in the hierarchy to get his or her own quarters of a decent size, they should do well enough. For a bit of variety, you could always exercise a cat in the Jefferies tubes.
Old April 9 2010, 01:41 PM   #23
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Any chance to show a video of my dogs. In this video I show all seven of them and mention how they don't take up as much space as you'd think. So maybe a perfect breed for a starship!

Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2010, 02:38 AM   #24
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

maneth wrote: View Post
Spock's cat made more sense than Archer's dog
You did mean Data's cat, didn't you?
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote