Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old April 4 2010, 11:34 AM   #736
Seven of Five
Commodore

Re: DS9 Versus: A viewing experient

Well before season 7 turned me into a Kira/Odo fan, I was happy that this episode had Odo off frolicking with another woman. I enjoy it, even if it's not a classic. It's better than last week's poor VOY episode.

Man I'm so tired. Partying on for your birthday always gets a bit more of a slog every year.
Seven of Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2010, 11:38 AM   #737
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

I like this episode, particularly the ending- "I'll never forget you". Though when I watched it with my sister some years ago I don't think she caught the irony...
Old April 5 2010, 08:54 AM   #738
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

Week 24: (Ending 04.13.97)
DS9 - Business As Usual (Airdate 04.07.97)
VOY - Before And After (Airdate 04.09.97)

OMG! It's another 47!

Pretty evenly matched episodes here, with each show catering to their strengths. DS9 does the ol' 'Character Moral Quandary' bit, this time throwing Quark into the wringer. VOY gives us a clever bit of speculative sci-fi, and using my gal Kes as the vehicle to tell the tale.

This week'll boil down to personal preference. I fully admit my choosing of VOY as this week's winner is possibly more due to character bias (I'd rather watch an episode featuring Kes than Quark) than it being a decisively better hour of TV - B&A does have a few technobabbly annoyances, after all; plus some may prefer moral dilemmas over sci-fi puzzles. Still, VOY seems to hint at some possible future scenarios. Wait, what? VOY, having foresight again? That'd be worth an extra star, were I actually giving out stars. Instead, the show simply takes the week.

In the end, they were both good, so can't complain either way. Shame VOY's gonna lose a bit of momentum by taking another week off.

Weekly Winner
VOY

Next:
DS9 - Ties Of Blood And Water
Old April 5 2010, 10:35 AM   #739
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Aha, the dark Ferengi episode! I like this one, even if the (adopts ghost voice) "you killed me, Quark!" stuff is a bit much.
Old April 6 2010, 04:40 AM   #740
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Week 25: (Ending 04.20.97)
DS9 - Ties Of Blood And Water (Airdate 04.14.97)

Oh look, it's yet another, "Kira learns a Valuable Lesson from a Cardassian" episode. Aren't we tired of these yet? Hell no! Heh, no wonder none of the other shows sent in competition this week: they're worried they might have to face another Duet (or not).

It really is remarkable how the writers are able to continuously mine this trove of drama, though in this case it's less about what a Cardassian teaches her, but rather what she gets out of the experience itself: closure with a father figure. We aren't even privy to what the episode will truly be about until the first brief flashback, which is quite clever scripting. Throw in memorable scenes involving Sisko, Dukat and the returning Weyoun (best way to make an impression: gob down a glass of poison!), and you have a solid episode all around.

All in all, things are looking to heat up heading into May Sweeps, especially now with all three show returning to the dance next week.

Weekly Winner
DS9

Next:
DS9 - Ferengi Love Songs
VOY - Real Life
B5 - Racing Mars
Old April 6 2010, 07:01 PM   #741
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Ties of Blood and Water - excellent episode. Second Skin was amazing and Ghemor was such a great character that I'm glad we saw him again. It's a really good character episode for Kira and bringing back Weyoun was obviously a smart move as well.
Old April 7 2010, 09:40 AM   #742
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Week 26: (Ending 04.27.97)
DS9 - Ferengi Love Songs (Airdate 04.21.97)
VOY - Real Life (Airdate 04.23.97)
B5 - Racing Mars (Airdate 04.24.97)

G'uh. DS9 totally phoned it in this week. Having a Quark centered episode only two weeks after the last one isn't the best of ideas. Hell, has any character on this show been given that opportunity? Hmm... (*Jeopardy theme*) Nope, nadda. Closest would be O'Brien's three consecutive episode run in S2, but he was paired up in two of those, and with someone different in each instance. Yep, DS9 definitely phoned this one in. Maybe they were afraid they'd be up against another Severed Dreams?

Well, they should have done a better scouting report, because Racing Mars is hardly Severed Dreams. It's an alright episode tho', mostly about moving plot with amiable character bits along the way - Marcus certainly steals a bunch of scenes. And then there's that whole Garibaldi business. Okay, we get it: there's something askew with him, probably because of that whole Psi Corps thing he keeps getting flashbacks over. Yet... the argument that is made to convince him to join forces with those Men In Black is actually quite reasonable. He actually seems to be... concerned about Sheriden, and wants to help him somehow. His logic may be screwy (is Sheriden really all that messianic right now? I sure don't think so), but it does make sense from Garibaldi's point of view.

Still, this is mostly your standard B5 Arc Plot Episode, which can be taken down by a stellar Character Episode if one of the Treks attempts it. VOY must have gotten a better scouting report than DS9, as Real Life certainly goes for the gusto. At the same time though, I can't help but feel like the Doc (and by extension the viewer) is being cruelly manipulated into the situations he has to deal with. It's like B'Elanna stuck a Worst Case Scenario Easter Egg in her 'randomizing' re-tweaking of Doc's program. Yes, tragic things can happen in real life, but my God the odds of all that happening in such a short time? (there's also a b-plot where Paris gets sucked into a special effect that looks like what depictions of quasars typically do, and into some kind of parallel dimension; he finds his way back easy enough though, and proceeds to have lizard sex with B'Elanna, tying into the flirting plot from earlier remarkably well (unconfirmed))

VOY's heart was in the right place and was well acted (well, aside from those stupid teenage Klingons), but the cynicism in me ultimately rejects the overly... what's another word for 'manipulative'...? (*Jeopardy music*) - 'contriving' out-of-the-blue plot developments in Doc's program. At least B5's plot, while a bit contrived as well, has a logical undercurrent to it given what we know from previous episodes. But hey, that's the benefit of doing Arc Based shows, ain'it.

Weekly Winner
B5

Next:
DS9 - Soldiers Of The Empire
VOY - Distant Origin
B5 - Lines Of Communication
Old April 7 2010, 06:01 PM   #743
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Not seen the Voyager episode.

Racing Mars isn't a massively important episode, but I must say I really enjoyed it. Pretty much all the scenes are good.

DS9? Oh, for heaven's sake! Was anyone desperate for another Ferengi episode so soon after the last one? At least Business as Usual was good, whereas this one is rubbish. If not for Let He Who is Without Sin..., this would be the worst of the season.
Old April 7 2010, 07:50 PM   #744
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

Ferengi Love Songs, as Pemmer says, pretty poor compared to the rest of Season 5, and it wasn't especially important given all it did was establish the Ishka-Zek relationship, which does nothing to the series aside from conjuring up a rather repulsive mental image.

As for Real Life, it was a very interesting idea, and I did enjoy it, but it really felt kind of average coming between Before and After and Distant Origin, two of the strongest episodes of Season 3. It certainly managed to generate a surprising amount of emotion for one-episode holodeck characters, I'll give it that. The B-Plot was needlessly technobabbly and really just filler
Old April 8 2010, 01:42 AM   #745
Kai Winn
Captain

may i predict a win for voyager's 'distant origin'? one of it's best conceived and executed episodes, and a shame we'll never see the advanced but dogmatic saurians from earth again. love the dark atmosphere, great dialogues, and fx. who doesn't know distant origin, it's on youtube.
Old April 8 2010, 02:35 PM   #746
apenpaap
Commodore

I agree. But I figured Real Life would win this week, so apparently Sykonee as a different taste then me.
Old April 9 2010, 02:38 AM   #747
Bones
Commodore

Kai Winn wrote: View Post
may i predict a win for voyager's 'distant origin'? one of it's best conceived and executed episodes, and a shame we'll never see the advanced but dogmatic saurians from earth again. love the dark atmosphere, great dialogues, and fx. who doesn't know distant origin, it's on youtube.
It's a good one, that.

Is anyone else secretly happy when Voyager wins?
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2010, 11:13 AM   #748
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Every time it happens I get so upset I kill a kitten.
Old April 9 2010, 04:47 PM   #749
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

USS Bones wrote: View Post
VOY's earned itself the 'scrappy underdog' reputation, it seems.
Old April 10 2010, 04:42 AM   #750
Kai Winn
Captain

well, it doesn't celebrate religion, and there are no great wars like in ds9 or b5, which are serious disadvantages. i like it better nonetheless. watched 'way of the warrior' these days again, and couldn't help but giggle when the war council of the federation consisting of a captain sisko, lieutenant dax, young dr bashir, and chief o'brien casually decided the course of the federation.