Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 6 2010, 03:50 AM   #16
Death
Admiral

Re: HP's competition for the iPad!

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Flash isn't as important an issue as apple is winning that war with many sites going html5 because of the iPad
Apple will never win the HTML5 v flash war. No company will. As it stands HTML5 video will not come with any DRM restrictions (something flash does have), so if you are watching a video on YouTube all you need to do is right-click and download it. That's fine for most of the user-made videos on the site, but official videos from media providers will not allow a system where their content can be downloaded by even the dumbest of internet users. For this reason YouTube's HTML5 beta does not play videos with ads, for that it goes back to flash. Official music videos will probably have the same limitation if they don't have it already. A website like Hulu will probably never make the move to HTML5 video.
That is where paid for apps, subscription services, and iTunes streaming services come into play. Hulu is already working on an app, ABC has one up now, Netflix has an app up, but the quality doesn't seem to be there yet. Youtube has an app as well.
Old April 6 2010, 03:57 AM   #17
Death
Admiral

Flavius wrote: View Post
Apple has a vision, you have got to give them that - they are trying to turn those devices into appliances and at the same time care about design.
Indeed.

The more I look at apple's lineup of tech, the more I think they are trying their damnedest to make star trek a reality. I mean, look:

Real world - trek equivalent.

iPhone/iPod Touch - these devices really hold the spot of two trek devices in one, the communicator and tricorder.
iPad - Obviously the PADDS and electronic clipboards of trek.

iPhone Operating system - The real world equivalent of the LCARS operating system, a streamlined OS who's primary function is ease of use for small devices and accessing library "server" computers.

Mackbooks - these are the "terminal computers", like the ones seen on table tops like in Picard's office. More capable than the smaller access devices and able of independent function but also connected to the overall network.
iMacs - these are the wall mounted computer terminals. Again, capable of independent operation but also connected to the network.
Macpros - these are the "main computers" for residential homes and "mobile" use in trek time.
Xserves - the components of the "main computer core" of the ships and stations.

Envision this. A star trek home now. You have a Macpro as the main server computer or core computer, connected to a 100mbs down cable internet line. All TV's smaller than 27" are replaced with iMacs, all larger are hooked up to mac minis or a possible refreshed appleTV line based around the iPhone OS and the new apple A4 chip. All home systems such as heat/ac, Lights, alarms, are all wired to a home automation system controlled by the main server computer. No exposed manual switches, each room has a single iPod touch mounted as the "light plate" to control everything for that room. All doors are now remote controlled automated pocket doors, exterior mounted touchs act as manual door open panels. All touch's both room controllers and door openers also act as an intercom thanks to a "ip walkie talkie" app through the home network, as well as a phone thanks to VOIP phone service. Lastly add the iPhone as a personal communicator in your pocket at all times, with the theorized addition of RFID read/transmit that the 4g is supposed to get, your home network can now track you as you go from room to room automatically turning on the lights to your luminosity levels, adjust the thermostat to your settings, and even open doors for you as you approach, unless locked from the other side... throw in the iPad to fill in all the gaps, reader, remote, games, personal entertainment in the room, video conferencing (pending future updates with built in camera), ect.

I ask humbly, Is this not a star trek house?
Old April 6 2010, 04:05 AM   #18
kes7
Fleet Captain

And I JUST bought a new notebook .... sigh.

I want one of these.
Old April 6 2010, 04:07 AM   #19
Flavius
Vice Admiral

The more I look at apple's lineup of tech, the more I think they are trying their damnedest to make star trek a reality.
They wouldn't be the first to claim having been inspired by Star Trek. However, Apple and the prime movers at 1 Infinite Loop, I believe, are more driven by what they feel about modern industrial design and questions like - can it be beautiful and practical and make money?

Who else does that today. Nobody.
Old April 6 2010, 04:18 AM   #20
Death
Admiral

Flavius wrote: View Post
The more I look at apple's lineup of tech, the more I think they are trying their damnedest to make star trek a reality.
They wouldn't be the first to claim having been inspired by Star Trek. However, Apple and the prime movers at 1 Infinite Loop, I believe, are more driven by what they feel about modern industrial design and questions like - can it be beautiful and practical and make money?

Who else does that today. Nobody.
Good point.
Old April 6 2010, 04:42 AM   #21
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum

View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum

It has everything I want on the iPad. I might look into this.
Old April 6 2010, 08:36 AM   #22
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

You fail to see the future, my friend. Devices such as this are not storage devices... Much like the ahead of it's time concept from TNG, the iPad is a Personal Access Display Device.
This is the present... and in the present we have USB devices, SD cards and reliance on local storage.

Omitting basic functionality found in ubiquity in all other modern computers doesn't make Apple's latest toys transformative devices, it just forces suckers to buy external floppy drives or camera kits or whatever other stupid crap they can charge extra for.
Old April 6 2010, 11:13 AM   #23
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

wrong thread

Last edited by Stone_Cold_Sisko; April 6 2010 at 06:58 PM.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 03:16 PM   #24
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

That is where paid for apps, subscription services, and iTunes streaming services come into play. Hulu is already working on an app, ABC has one up now, Netflix has an app up, but the quality doesn't seem to be there yet. Youtube has an app as well.
In which case Apple is controlling what apps you can and cannot use, little over a month ago they were making headlines for pulling sexually suggestive apps from the app store (except those from well known companies, of course ). And don't think they wont pull apps from well known companies, they did exactly that last summer when they pulled the Google Voice app, part of a string of retaliatory efforts by Apple against Google because Google had the audacity to enter to phone market.

And, frankly, I don't like the YouTube app on my phone, I find the site much easier to navigate on my phone's native browser (which has flash) and the quality seems to be much better too. Now, if the next version of Opera Mobile includes flash lite for my phone (which is possible because they've already included a beta version of it for WinMo) then I'll be a very happy guy.
Old April 6 2010, 03:23 PM   #25
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
In which case Apple is controlling what apps you can and cannot use, little over a month ago they were making headlines for pulling sexually suggestive apps from the app store (except those from well known companies, of course ). And don't think they wont pull apps from well known companies, they did exactly that last summer when they pulled the Google Voice app, part of a string of retaliatory efforts by Apple against Google because Google had the audacity to enter to phone market.

And, frankly, I don't like the YouTube app on my phone, I find the site much easier to navigate on my phone's native browser (which has flash) and the quality seems to be much better too. Now, if the next version of Opera Mobile includes flash lite for my phone (which is possible because they've already included a beta version of it for WinMo) then I'll be a very happy guy.
Vendor lock-in and control is a big part of why I don't buy Apple products. I dislike being restricted with what I can and can't do on my devices. It's why my current phone is a Palm and my next will probably be an Android. Were I ever to buy another tablet device (I have both a UMPC and a convertible tablet) it would be something like the forthcoming HP slate device.

I realize most people couldn't care less about hacking and tweaking. They want stuff that "just works." Apple fills that need. But it's just not for me.
Old April 6 2010, 05:39 PM   #26
Shaw
Commodore

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Vendor lock-in and control is a big part of why I don't buy Apple products.
I, personally, shy away from anything that involves vender lock-in... because you never can be sure that a vender will be around in the future. Everything about all my computers will function independently of the future existence of the original vender or their continued support.

As examples, I use Sun, SGI and NeXT systems, none of them are still around (as independent companies) any more, nor do I need them to be. The same is true of all my Apple products. If Apple disappears tomorrow, I could function for years (most likely 10 or more) without worrying about anything other than hardware fixes (which I've always done myself anyways).

The alternatives are nothing short of horror stories from my perspective.

For example, Windows since the release of XP. If Microsoft disappeared tomorrow, you wouldn't be able to install/reinstall Windows on your computer. Microsoft has to activate your installation. No Microsoft, no activation, no Windows.

Another example is Mathematica since either version 3 or 4. Wolfram has to activate your copy Mathematica for your hardware. I had version 4.1 installed on my PowerBook which had it's logic board die. When I replaced the logic board (which included the hardware serial number of the system), Mathematica stopped running. As there wasn't anything I absolutely needed from that version, I just went back to using version 2.2.2 (which didn't have that issue).

Another example was a number of online music stores which closed down. In the case of Microsoft's MSN Music Store, once Microsoft shut down their playsforsure server, whatever system your music was on was the final resting place of that music, it couldn't be activated on any other future systems.

I don't trust corporations... any corporation, enough to need that type of dependance on them.

If Apple disappears tomorrow... oh well. My newest Mac is 10 years old. I'll most likely keep using it for another couple years before I get something newer (but used). It could be 10 years before I end up with whatever new Macs are being sold today and another 10 years after that before I start to worry about what I'll need to replace that with (most likely a Linux system if that were the case). We're talking about nearly 20+ years before Apple's disappearance would have a direct effect on me. NeXT has been gone for 13 years (and Apple dropped support for it's products about 10 years ago) and I'm still happily using those systems today.

Decry vender lock-in all you want, I'll be standing right there at your side doing the same. None of us should be that dependent on any of these corporations. Apple users haven't yet been screwed over the way that Microsoft users have been, but the potential is absolutely there in some of these products and people should be aware of it.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 05:50 PM   #27
Death
Admiral

So, some of the specs and price for this new HP is leaking out:

1.6GHz Atom processor
32GB of storage on board storage
8.9-inch, 1024x600 screen
5 hours of battery life

So, it's basically a touch screen netbook, and not a true PADD.
Old April 6 2010, 06:03 PM   #28
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

1.6GHz Atom processor
5 hours of battery life

Um, define a true "PADD"?

I don't think the comparison should be to a fictional Star Trek PADD, I think the comparison should be the to the iPad, which is its clear competition.

IF the specs you posted are correct, then it seems like it will compete very well with the iPad. Certainly it has the capability to have more features than the first gen iPad.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 07:01 PM   #29
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

That's just a mock up at this point...
That's incorrect, there were several working versions shown at CES, one on a walk-through by an HP guy.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 07:03 PM   #30
Death
Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post

1.6GHz Atom processor
5 hours of battery life

Um, define a true "PADD"?

I don't think the comparison should be to a fictional Star Trek PADD, I think the comparison should be the to the iPad, which is its clear competition.

IF the specs you posted are correct, then it seems like it will compete very well with the iPad. Certainly it has the capability to have more features than the first gen iPad.
I'm not comparing it to the trek device, I just think that the trek nomenclature is correct for this new field of device. It is a Personal Access Display/Device. Not a true computer, like netbooks, tablet pc's, UMPC's ect. It is simply an electronic device which primary function is to allow access to media and content, with limited on board storage primarily for native applications and short term storage of media content for off network access, from a central "library" computer, media server, or the internet.