Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 6 2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
HP's competition for the iPad!

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/Voodoo-...nce/ba-p/54735

Multitasking. Flash. USB ports and SD slots. A Camera.

This is appealing.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 01:30 AM   #2
Data Holmes
Admiral

Re: HP's competition for the iPad!

That's just a mock up at this point...
Old April 6 2010, 01:52 AM   #3
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
The technology is already there, particularly if you've seen the latest HP desktop touch. Give it a few months at max, and it will be on store shelves, and HP will sell it for significantly less than the iPad, and it will be far superior in terms of flexibility.
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 01:59 AM   #4
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

What is old is new again. I guess I'll feel vindicated if the iPad actually makes slate computing less of a joke than it's always been.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 02:03 AM   #5
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

It's like an iPad... that you can plug a thumb drive in to... Awesome!
Old April 6 2010, 02:09 AM   #6
Data Holmes
Admiral

Axiom wrote: View Post
The technology is already there, particularly if you've seen the latest HP desktop touch. Give it a few months at max, and it will be on store shelves, and HP will sell it for significantly less than the iPad, and it will be far superior in terms of flexibility.
By that point in time, iP os 4.X will be out which is supposed to offer multitasking, Flash isn't as important an issue as apple is winning that war with many sites going html5 because of the iPad, I don't see any functional benefit to having USB ports on a PADD type device, as it's primary method of data transfer will be wireless via bluetooth or wifi. So the only thing this thing will really have as a built in over the iPad is the SD card reader capability.

By the way, if USB or SD card ability is that big a deal, the Apple iPad Camera kit http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A gives you both abilities for $29.
Old April 6 2010, 02:22 AM   #7
Mr. B
Vice Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. B Send a message via AIM to Mr. B Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr. B Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. B

By the way, if USB or SD card ability is that big a deal, the Apple iPad Camera kit http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A gives you both abilities for $29.
Come on... you know damn well how incredibly pathetic it is to exclude a USB port or card reader from a device like this. It's just plain sad... and an artificial limitation because Apple has a stupid tiered pricing scheme for internal memory. An SDXC slot of the iPad would destroy their ridiculous pricing for 16gb/32gb/etc models.

A USB port on a tablet would make it easy for people to interact with actual FILES on the device and make it a useful tool for photographers in the field... or just about anyone else that might want to transfer music, video, documents, whatever. If I want to move something from a computer it's pretty darn easy to drag and drop rather than establish a BT connection.
Old April 6 2010, 02:34 AM   #8
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, flash drives offer convenience and ability to transfer things to everyone regardless of technology or skill level. Not having one almost seems like an oversight.

That being said, I'm pissed off at HP right now, so I probably won't be getting their competition.
Old April 6 2010, 02:49 AM   #9
Flavius
Vice Admiral

All the better if the iPad is getting some serious competition.
Old April 6 2010, 03:02 AM   #10
Data Holmes
Admiral

Mr. B wrote: View Post
Come on... you know damn well how incredibly pathetic it is to exclude a USB port or card reader from a device like this. It's just plain sad... and an artificial limitation because Apple has a stupid tiered pricing scheme for internal memory. An SDXC slot of the iPad would destroy their ridiculous pricing for 16gb/32gb/etc models.

A USB port on a tablet would make it easy for people to interact with actual FILES on the device and make it a useful tool for photographers in the field... or just about anyone else that might want to transfer music, video, documents, whatever. If I want to move something from a computer it's pretty darn easy to drag and drop rather than establish a BT connection.
You fail to see the future, my friend. Devices such as this are not storage devices... Much like the ahead of it's time concept from TNG, the iPad is a Personal Access Display Device.

What does this mean, that you don't need super amounts of storage built in. Why, because the vast majority will all be stored, and protected, off device. In the home, it will access your media server, a computer with 4 or 5 tb of storage. Music, pics, movies, tv, all streamed over wireless to your device. Not home, you have the "cloud" to access such things, streaming iTunes is mere months away at this point, Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, ect... everything media content wise is accessible over the "web". Apple is starting to take this further with MobileMe, which adds even more "networked" abilities to the device.

The key with PADD like devices right now, is to resist the urge to think of them as "tablet PC's" or "netbook replacements" because these things are not computers and shouldn't be thought of as such. It's an access point, a Window if you will, to content, to the internet, ect.

On board storage is really, if you look at it in these terms, for downloaded apps, and limited downloaded content for use "off network".

Apple really has it's head in trek as far as this is going.

iPhone and iPod Touch = Communicator/tricorder
iPad = PADD's

Hell, the entire apple family of products could be equated to the various levels of trek computers, Even iPhone OS has been equated as a real world LCARS, which is fitting really as it stood for Library Computer Access/Retrieval System A UI designed for simplicity to access information from a central library computer storage database...

Why does that sound familiar again? Because that is exactly what apple's CE devices do.

Look at trek, and you will see where apple is headed.
Old April 6 2010, 03:12 AM   #11
Jetfire

I would rather have an HP Slate, than and iPad.
Old April 6 2010, 03:23 AM   #12
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Flash isn't as important an issue as apple is winning that war with many sites going html5 because of the iPad
Apple will never win the HTML5 v flash war. No company will. As it stands HTML5 video will not come with any DRM restrictions (something flash does have), so if you are watching a video on YouTube all you need to do is right-click and download it. That's fine for most of the user-made videos on the site, but official videos from media providers will not allow a system where their content can be downloaded by even the dumbest of internet users. For this reason YouTube's HTML5 beta does not play videos with ads, for that it goes back to flash. Official music videos will probably have the same limitation if they don't have it already. A website like Hulu will probably never make the move to HTML5 video.

Flash isn't going anywhere any time soon, and Apple's probably not going to add flash to the iPad/iPhone any time soon.
Old April 6 2010, 03:26 AM   #13
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Flavius wrote: View Post
All the better if the iPad is getting some serious competition.
Agreed, competition drives down prices, and drives up innovation.

And I agree about the iPad = PADD analogy above. Though, certainly, greater storage capacity is welcomed, and with that competition again helps. No specs yet on the HP Slate, we'll see what they opt to do there.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 03:31 AM   #14
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Mr. B wrote: View Post
Come on... you know damn well how incredibly pathetic it is to exclude a USB port or card reader from a device like this.
Perhaps. It may be too early to tell, really. Remember when everyone said the same thing about Apple's decision not to include a floppy drive on the iMac?
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2010, 03:46 AM   #15
Flavius
Vice Admiral

Apple has a vision, you have got to give them that - they are trying to turn those devices into appliances and at the same time care about design.