TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old April 2 2010, 04:49 AM   #16
Shaw
Commodore

Re: BOOM! A shot into the iPad's heart.

Dennis wrote: View Post
I swear, the lengths people will go to, to defend Apple's junk...
I hear ya... it is nearly as bad as people who waste their time trashing Apple junk.

Of course Apple haters sort of remind me of STXI haters... I mean people, if you don't like something, move onto to the things you like. There isn't any point wasting time hating when there is so much else in life.
Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 04:49 AM   #17
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Flavius wrote: View Post
Seriously, I don't think that the Kindle(s) are going to become roadkill instantly, but it's hard to fathom why somebody would choose a Kindle over the iPad, a one-trick-pony over a multi-talent?
The big difference is e-paper versus LCD. I haven't seen e-paper up close yet, but conceptually there's a big benefit to a device which can be read easily in bright sunlight and which has battery life measured in weeks rather than hours.

The lack of color is a problem, though.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 05:01 AM   #18
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

Yeah, the lack of color is the biggest problem with e-paper with refresh rate a close second (though that's been improving pretty fast). But there's some cool tech coming down the pipe, hopefully in the next few years, that will help quite a bit. But for a lot of people, color isn't such a big deal... if all you're doing is reading novels or newspaper articles you don't need it.

As for "one-trick-pony over a multi-talent"... the obvious comeback is jack of all trades, master of none. If you want a device that can do a little bit of everything, then something like the iPad is great. If you want to do a lot of a single thing and don't care about the other things... why pay extra for something that isn't as good at your preferred task?
Old April 2 2010, 05:08 AM   #19
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I say again, if a pound and half weight bothers you after any stretch of time you've got issues.
Try reading a book that weighs that much and see how soon it starts to bother you.
Old April 2 2010, 05:53 AM   #20
Defiant
Lieutenant Commander

, but it's hard to fathom why somebody would choose a Kindle over the iPad, a one-trick-pony over a multi-talent?
Because I hate reading on a glowing screen, and I hate carrying around 10 books whenever I'm travelling. Only one compromise makes sense - e-ink.

Also, having been involved in digital forensics for most of the last 8 years, I know how horrible security is on the iPhone, and no way I'd trust it to do much more than very casual web browsing.

Eastern European hackers are praying the iPad becomes popular, because people WILL do their banking on them - it looks enough like a laptop, that people are going to forget it isn't...

"Either he's dead, or my watch has stopped!"
-Dr. Hugo Z. Hackenbush, MD, PhD, RFD, MC, PDQ, BYOB
Defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 06:38 AM   #21
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Lindley wrote: View Post
Seriously, I don't think that the Kindle(s) are going to become roadkill instantly, but it's hard to fathom why somebody would choose a Kindle over the iPad, a one-trick-pony over a multi-talent?
The big difference is e-paper versus LCD. I haven't seen e-paper up close yet, but conceptually there's a big benefit to a device which can be read easily in bright sunlight and which has battery life measured in weeks rather than hours.

The lack of color is a problem, though.
The first time I saw e-paper I didn't realize I was looking at a live display. I was duly impressed.

That being said, I would miss color...not that most of my books have color beyond the cover.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 05:55 PM   #22
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

Is E-paper like a paper thin computer display?
CuttingEdge100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 06:21 PM   #23
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

E-paper's the kind of display that the Kindle et al. use. It's designed to approximate the appearance of paper, versus, say, an LCD.

It really was fairly impressive.
Old April 2 2010, 06:48 PM   #24
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

So the iPad is a bit heavy for some people. I guess they've never read a hardback edition of some of Tom Clancy's novels....

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 06:57 PM   #25
DonIago
Rear Admiral

^This is why I see a chiropractor.

Kidding.
Old April 2 2010, 07:04 PM   #26
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

e-paper is like an etch-a-sketch on steroids.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 07:08 PM   #27
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Apple has now made available the guided tours.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/

Avoiding the carpal tunnel syndrome (and the like) is included

I've had the same thought only in reverse. As much as the ipad appeals to my geek side, I thinking why in hell would I want to spend the money for an Ipad when I can get a 13 inch Macpro for not a whole lot more money?

As for the Kindle, I love mine and really like the e-ink feature. I really do believe it's much easier on my eyes than trying to read a LCD screen.
Old April 2 2010, 07:11 PM   #28
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

DonIago wrote: View Post
E-paper's the kind of display that the Kindle et al. use. It's designed to approximate the appearance of paper, versus, say, an LCD.

It really was fairly impressive.
I agree. I've seen a Kindle in action and it's actually really cool how much it looks like real paper. And it doesn't suffer from the glare you'd normally experience with a computer screen or an old-style monochrome liquid crystal setup.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 08:24 PM   #29
Snow Miser
I'm Too Much

View Snow Miser's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Snow Miser Send a message via AIM to Snow Miser

I don't think it is a matter of it actually being heavy. It is more just an issue of getting tired from holding it a certain way for an extended amount of time. I've noticed it with my old video iPod.
Old April 3 2010, 09:31 PM   #30
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I've held some heft books, laptops and things of that nature quite often. I just cannot comprehend a 24oz weight being anything to tire over.