Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 31 2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Shyamalan talks about AIRBENDER's "racebending" issues

The question isn't what the fictional concept is based on, the question is whether real live human beings seeking employment are getting discriminated against because of their ethnicity. And though I still have my doubts about the racial preferences of the higher-level executives involved, I'm reassured that Shyamalan appears to have made a good-faith effort to cast the film fairly, making talent the first consideration. And that there's plenty of diversity among the supporting cast, and that the diversity of the lead cast will be increasing in subsequent films (since MNS explicitly says he's going to cast an Asian actress as Toph).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 09:33 PM   #17
exodus
Fleet Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
I thought we had already put this issue to bed when a poster in the last post on this subject pointed how it's not really based on real Asian culture but rather White American fanboy interpretitation of it?
Because that isn't true.
Nothing against you personally but I think I'll put my trust in actual Asians that that say it is.
Old April 1 2010, 05:08 AM   #18
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I thought we had already put this issue to bed when a poster in the last post on this subject pointed how it's not really based on real Asian culture but rather White American fanboy interpretitation of it?
Because that isn't true.
Nothing against you personally but I think I'll put my trust in actual Asians that that say it is.
What about all the Asians who say it isn't, and have been protesting this?

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 09:59 AM   #19
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Because that isn't true.
You mean the white fanboys who have katana's hanging on their bedroom walls and write posts on the internet claiming to be Asians? Those Asians?
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 11:31 AM   #20
Theonethatis
Commander

I got Katana's in my room and I love old fashioned anime. But I also have a miniature suit of plate mail and a broadsword. So in my mind it even's things out.

Last edited by Theonethatis; April 1 2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: because I wanted to
Theonethatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 02:12 PM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

LaxScrutiny wrote: View Post
You mean the white fanboys who have katana's hanging on their bedroom walls and write posts on the internet claiming to be Asians? Those Asians?
You're mistaken.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 04:52 PM   #22
CaptainCanada
Admiral

No, the Asians (and people of other races who share their concerns) who've been protesting this. Such as this guy.

- Homer Simpson
Old April 2 2010, 03:00 PM   #23
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

Mako was the only person of an Asian ethnicity who did voice acting for the series, do you see any conflicts there? Were the creators racist and short sighted? Is it about giving fair representation to asian actors or is it purely about the way the movie LOOKS? Because if it's about the way the movie LOOKS, the kid who is playing Aang looks EXACTLY like the cartoon. The character in the cartoon does not look Tibetan or Chinese. For reference, here is Aang:

Here are some Tibetan children.

Old April 2 2010, 04:24 PM   #24
CaptainCanada
Admiral

FordSVT wrote: View Post
Mako was the only person of an Asian ethnicity who did voice acting for the series, do you see any conflicts there? Were the creators racist and short sighted? Is it about giving fair representation to asian actors or is it purely about the way the movie LOOKS? Because if it's about the way the movie LOOKS, the kid who is playing Aang looks EXACTLY like the cartoon. The character in the cartoon does not look Tibetan or Chinese. For reference, here is Aang:

1) Voice-acting isn't the same as playing in live-action; creators often do try to cast minority voices for minority characters, but it isn't the same.

2) The art thing has been discussed before; it's anime-style. The Air Nomads are quite clearly modelled on Tibetans. Younger characters in anime usually have that sort of look; older ones (such as the Airbender Elders) are drawn more realistically.

- Homer Simpson
Old April 2 2010, 06:31 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer

FordSVT wrote: View Post
Mako was the only person of an Asian ethnicity who did voice acting for the series...
That's untrue. Dante Basco (Zuko) is Filipino-American. Other ethnically Asian cast members in recurring or guest roles include Jennie Kwan (Suki), Sab Shimono (Monk Gyatso/Master Yu), Takayo Fischer (Lo and Li), George Takei, James Sie, Brian George, Clyde Kusatsu, Keone Young, Lauren Tom, Brian Tochi, Kim Mai Guest, James Hong, Tsai Chin, Derek Basco (Dante's brother), George Cheung, and Karen Maruyama.

The character in the cartoon does not look Tibetan or Chinese. For reference, here is Aang:

In animation, large round eyes are a signifier of youth. Look at the child versions of Zuko and Azula in flashbacks, and they have the same kind of large round eyes. Within the graphical language of the animation design style being used, yes, Aang looked just as Asian as every other child character in the series. (For one thing, that image you're using isn't accurately colored. Aang's complexion isn't so pink: http://images.absoluteanime.com/avat...ang%5B2%5D.jpg )

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2010, 11:02 PM   #26
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

My friend, in the grand scheme of things, there are a lot of things worth getting angry over. The live action movie of The Last Airbender isn't one of them.
Like how you and everybody else got pissy at how Alan McGee called Paul McCartney a hack two months ago?

I thought we had already put this issue to bed when a poster in the last post on this subject pointed how it's not really based on real Asian culture but rather White American fanboy interpretation of it? Especially when he/she addressed Inuits don't practice Ti-Chi, Inuit men can't grow facial hair and the representation of the Monks is wrong.
Shyamalan has a duty to make sure that the movie's just like the show-period. Anything else is bullshit on his & Paramount's parts.

Dennis wrote: View Post
Can't wait to see this movie bomb and this arrogant one-trick pony put out to pasture.
OTOH, just because he got a little overexposed & overpraised, doesn't mean you have to bust him up like that.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2010, 01:43 AM   #27
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

[QUOTE=Dusty Ayres;3967278]
My friend, in the grand scheme of things, there are a lot of things worth getting angry over. The live action movie of The Last Airbender isn't one of them.
Like how you and everybody else got pissy at how Alan McGee called Paul McCartney a hack two months ago?

[quote]I don't know what you're on, friend, but if you can find a post anywhere on the internet that I wrote about Alan McGee, I'll send you 20 bucks.
Old April 3 2010, 01:52 AM   #28
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

[QUOTE=LaxScrutiny;3967712][QUOTE=Dusty Ayres;3967278]

I don't know what you're on, friend, but if you can find a post anywhere on the Internet that I wrote about Alan McGee, I'll send you 20 bucks.
That was meant as an example of how people can get pissed off when something they love is changed from what it used to be, or if said something is criticized. I apologize-I should have said 'Something dear to your heart.'
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2010, 02:18 AM   #29
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Shyamalan has a duty to make sure that the movie's just like the show-period.
No he doesn't.

Making any creative endeavor exactly like something else is a waste of time and effort.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2010, 02:32 AM   #30
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post

That was meant as an example of how people can get pissed off when something they love is changed from what it used to be, or if said something is criticized. I apologize-I should have said 'Something dear to your heart.'
Then you should have left out the "you and everybody else" because it has nothing to do with me. I don't appreciate you implying that it did.