Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old March 30 2010, 11:08 PM   #16
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Nolan -verse update

Small White Car wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's been around here.

The one thing that has me excited is the idea that Nolan may want to end HIS Batman movies in a way that no one can touch them after he leaves.

Like, un-mask Bruce at the end or have him marry Selina, or somehow inspire enough citizens that he feels he can retire Batman or...well, something to end his Batman totally.

You know they'll just re-boot Batman in 8-12 years no matter what he does, so why not have some fun here and do something to really end the whole thing in a way that a Batman film has never been able to end before?
Everyone gets so pissed when they reboot a property instead of making a continuation yet this gets thumbs up? Interesting.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 11:33 PM   #17
Warped9
Admiral

I'll wait and see. Nolan deserves some trust based on what he's done so far.

I'm iffy about how he might end it. I'd rather he didn't kill off Batman or have him publicly unmasked. Maybe Batman faking his death or retiring because things have improved and he doesn't feel needed anymore. That would be somewhat open ended for whoever follows and doesn't actually have to be connected to this trilogy.

I'm really intrigued to see what he has in mind for Superman.
Old March 30 2010, 11:37 PM   #18
Jetfire

Doesn't Batman keep going and then in the future someone takes his place? I don't see an end to this really...just and end to this point of the story set up by the first 2 films...I forgot what TDK was hinting to for a 3rd film BB hinted about the Joker.
Old March 31 2010, 12:12 AM   #19
T'Baio
Admiral

I'd like to see, if there ever is a reboot, Kerry Conran do a period Batman flick in the vein of Sky Captain. I know it'll never happen, but one can dream.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 12:46 AM   #20
Warped9
Admiral

^^ Yes, that would be interesting.
Old March 31 2010, 12:54 AM   #21
Jax
Admiral

After Nolan's 3rd film which I want to be called The Batman or Batman if they can get away with it...I wonder if the reboot (which will happen) can use some of Nolan's origin story and then ignore the need to do one and just have Batman already in place right off the bat...

So basically a little like SR, where we use some of number 1 but ignore 2 & 3. I'd be happy though if Nolan trilogy was the last for a long time TBH because can anything else come as close to it.
Old March 31 2010, 02:38 PM   #22
Admiral Shran
Admiral

I've never understood the hate for the "Batman voice." It always made perfect sense to me. He's disguising his voice so nobody will pick up on the fact that he's Bruce Wayne. He is, after all, one of the richest and most powerful people on Earth and one of the most well-known people in Gotham City.

It was a very smart move on Nolan's part to do this. Unlike in the Spiderman movies, where Peter Parker makes absolutely no attempt to disguise his voice. The scene in Spiderman II where he saves his aunt makes no sense. This woman is his mother for all intents and purposes, and yet she doesn't recognize her "son's" voice when Spiderman speaks to her?

Next time I talk to my mom on the phone, I'm gonna do this...
1.) Not identify myself,
2.) Wear a mask,
3.) See if she thinks it's someone other than her son talking to her.
Old March 31 2010, 05:02 PM   #23
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ It's not that he's disguising his voice but that the voice he's using sounds so ridiculous.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 05:41 PM   #24
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
So, no-one in favour of making the 3rd movie the weakest one in the series
I wouldn't be surprised if that happens.

Call me a doomsayer; but it is hard to see how they can go anywhere but down after The Dark Knight. That is a hard act to follow and an even harder act to top. If the next film is merely okay, or just good, it could be slammed as the worst thing ever - and heaven forbid if it's a little bad.
I don't know. I mean, you're right that it's likely the fanboy reaction will be negative no matter what happens because Joker is one of those characters that just gives comics fanboys a major hardon, so they may be disappointed in any case. But I think critics and people with a little bit of perspective on story (that is, not just interested in having their wish fulfillment fantasies up on screen) will give a third installment a fair shake. When you look at the story developed so far there are plenty of places to go and in terms of tone and scale, it doesn't really have to "top" TDK. Remember Begins was a relatively quiet movie. The only standard I will hold it to is I want to see it have the same sort of balls the first two have had in terms of laying out a vision of the character and his world that is consistent and unbound by comic book and the conventional wisdom of superhero movies. What had my mouth hanging open during TDK was just that it went places I never expected a comic book movie to go. It seemed as informed by stories like The Godfather as it was by the cheeseball adolescent muscleman fantasies superheroes often devolve into.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
So, no-one in favour of making the 3rd movie the weakest one in the series

The consensus is that the third movie in virtually any superhero franchise (which has gotten that far) is weaker than its predecessors. Superman III, Spider-man 3, X3, Batman Forever, Blade Trinity.

Indeed, nearly all third movies in a trilogy end up being the weakest, from Godfather III, to Return of the Jedi. Only Bourne and Die Hard break the jinx (well, you could also include Revenge of the Sith and some might include Indiana Jones 3).

Unfortunately for Superman and Batman, Supes IV and Batman & Robin were even worse than their predecessors ...
I wouldn't say Bourne broke the usual pattern. The third movie almost put me to sleep and it had about zero story. All that build up and the final character crisis is just the basic assassin's dilemma? La Femme Nikita told that story much better in one-third of the time.

The threequel issue may indeed be hard to circumvent (I would definitely include Indiana Jones, Pirates, Star Wars, and Star Trek for that matter), but it can be done. Return of the King, Back to the Future, Army of Darkness, Escape from Planet of the Apes. They're a minority, but they're out there.
Old March 31 2010, 05:51 PM   #25
RoJoHen
Awesome

As much as I hate to say it, I'd almost like it if the 3rd movie ended with Bruce retiring as Batman and having someone like Robin take over for a while.

Or maybe have Bruce turn himself in to the authorities and accept responsibility for being a vigilante.
Old March 31 2010, 06:31 PM   #26
The Fatman
Captain

Send a message via AIM to The Fatman

Personally, I always wanted the last scene of Nolan's movies to be Bruce adopting Dick Grayson. Have a scene where Bruce and Alfred welcome him into Wayne Manor, and maybe have a wink and nod reference to the foundation in the southeast corner.
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 07:40 PM   #27
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

One thing I always keep in mind here.

TDK is not perfect. However, it is clear that, using what they established in the previous film as a jumping-off point, they tried to make the best follow-up they could. They had no idea it would be the hit it was, and, unlike many insanely popular films, it was not made with the idea in mind that would be at all bigger than the previous film. They just wanted to make a good film. I hope they go into 3 with the same mindset. Just make a good movie. Even if it is not better than TDK, just make it good.
Old March 31 2010, 07:50 PM   #28
ClayinCA
Commodore

The third alternative is an ending that is not an ending; that is, Batman is still out there, but the third film wraps things up thematically somehow. That does leave more wiggle room for a non-Nolan fourth picture to suggest it's a semi-sequel, though.
This is what I'm hoping for, and what I would imagine Warner Bros. would want, too.
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 07:57 PM   #29
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

ClayinCA wrote: View Post
The third alternative is an ending that is not an ending; that is, Batman is still out there, but the third film wraps things up thematically somehow. That does leave more wiggle room for a non-Nolan fourth picture to suggest it's a semi-sequel, though.
This is what I'm hoping for, and what I would imagine Warner Bros. would want, too.
Not me - give us a real ending to the story please. As Alan Moore notes in his introduction to The Dark Knight Returns, it's impossible to have a great story without a great ending. This has potential to be a great story and it needs a real ending. Something that absolutely cannot have another chapter. I'm talking a "Louis, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship." and "My dear, I don't give a damn." kind of ending. A done, character irrevocably changed forever ending. That would be unexpected and courageous storytelling, and Nolan has shown he has that skill by ending TDK the way he did.
Old March 31 2010, 08:40 PM   #30
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ I respectfully disagree. In the words of The Ood - the song may be ending ... but the story never ends.