Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: I would love to see comics set in these era:
TOS 9 20.93%
TOS movies 12 27.91%
TNG 4 9.30%
Post-series TNG 18 41.86%
DS9 8 18.60%
Post-series DS9 24 55.81%
VOY 6 13.95%
Post-series VOY 17 39.53%
ENT 11 25.58%
Post-series ENT 16 37.21%
More "Crew" (pre-"The Cage") 16 37.21%
VAN 17 39.53%
SCE/CoE 13 30.23%
NF (Peter David's "New Frontier" w/ Calhoun & Shelby) 12 27.91%
TTN (Riker & Troi on USS Titan) 28 65.12%
Excelsior (Captain Sulu) 12 27.91%
More "solo" issues, such as "Captains" and "McCoy" minis 12 27.91%
Post-JJ Abrams "Star Trek" (yeah, eventually, hopefully) 10 23.26%
More "Alien Spotlight" single issues 14 32.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 27 2010, 01:08 AM   #16
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Next comic mini-series/one-shots?

Just to clarify some of my votes:

By post-TNG, I mean post-Countdown with Captain Data rather than the current TNG novel era.

By post-ENT I mean something that ignores the current version of the Romulan War.

By Titan, I mean part of the novel continuity.

'kay?
Old March 27 2010, 01:10 AM   #17
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Mmmm. Really regretting making the results public to all browsers. Lotsa lookers and only 17 voters? Is it really that difficult to check a few boxes?
Maybe they're like me, they don't read the comics, don't give much thought into them and only been poking their nose in as they're interested in the discussion. Now don't get you're knickers in a twist about not many voters, it's only been a few days since this poll was created after all.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2010, 01:23 AM   #18
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Not in a twist at all, but 20 voters out of 281 lookers is even less than the ol' 10% rule of general survey returns.

Had I checked the box to only reveal the current scores to people who voted might have been more encouraging of some more votes. But then, we also know that IDW ST seems to be much harder to locate in stores than the old Gold Key, Marvel, DC, Malibu and Marvel/Paramount ST comics, so 20 out of 281 may be about what I should have been expecting after all.

No biggie.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 07:02 PM   #19
Daddy Todd
Captain

I saw some sales figures for the IDW titles, and I was astonished to see that most of them sell in the 5000-10,000 copy range. Astonished, I tell you!

On top of that, virtually every issue has 2 or more covers, and I'm certain I'm far from the only fan who gets a copy of each cover. That could mean that as few as 2500-3500 readers for some issues.

I mean, how much can you pay the writer, artist(s), colorist, letterer and editor out of a $4 book that only sells 5000 copies?

I guess IDW must be making money selling the trades, and the monthly floppies are just "trailers" for the forthcoming trades...?
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 07:18 PM   #20
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

^Wow, Trek comics are really in the shitter.

Dare I ask how many an average Trek novel sells?
Old March 28 2010, 07:24 PM   #21
Daddy Todd
Captain

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Dare I ask how many an average Trek novel sells?
You can ask, but you won't get an answer. Sales figures are closely guarded trade secrets, and not released by Pocket Books.

I think the only reason we have comic book sales figures is because Diamond, who distribute virtually all direct-market comics (i.e., comics sold in comic book shops) releases them.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 07:41 PM   #22
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
I mean, how much can you pay the writer, artist(s), colorist, letterer and editor out of a $4 book that only sells 5000 copies?
My big concern is that most comic shops I know order barely more copies of IDW ST issues than they need for their standing orders. The only shelf copies, if there are any at all, disappear in mere days of release, or sit there forever as lone examples of a segment of a mini-series long past.

As we know, there are many, many fans who refuse to place standing orders for anything, preferring to browse randomly (and complain bitterly about distribution) so they can pick and choose.

It's a very different market to ST's heyday.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2010, 08:17 PM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
My big concern is that most comic shops I know order barely more copies of IDW ST issues than they need for their standing orders. The only shelf copies, if there are any at all, disappear in mere days of release, or sit there forever as lone examples of a segment of a mini-series long past.

As we know, there are many, many fans who refuse to place standing orders for anything, preferring to browse randomly (and complain bitterly about distribution) so they can pick and choose.

It's a very different market to ST's heyday.
The only thing I get from IDW (John Byrne, with a couple of exceptions) any more are the trades that I can pick up from a bookstore. I refuse to drive twenty minutes to the nearest comic shop to pick up individual issues anymore. They're overpriced for the entertainment they provide. Read the Nero TPB in twenty minutes and it cost me $18. IDW's number one problem is they need to figure out a way to increase the entertainment value of the issues.

I'm also one who never placed standing orders. I like to come in and browse and choose the issues I want to pick up.
Old March 30 2010, 11:01 AM   #24
Andy Mangels
Writer

As I've said for each of the three years that this poll has happened, I'd love to write some more Trek comics.

I sold my first Trek project (unpublished due to editor switching) to DC in the 1980s, then comics to Marvel in the 1990s (where I gave a chance to Mike Martin to be my co-writer), and Wildstorm in the early 2000s.

I've proposed things to four different IDW editors since they got the license; as the 2010 decade begins, I'm hoping the time will be right!

And as the polls have shown for three years running, the fans seem HUNGRY for a Titan series... a series which I co-created!
Andy Mangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 12:51 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer

I would also love to write Titan comics, given the chance.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 06:46 PM   #26
JD
Admiral

Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to do Titan comics? Would they be able to include Tuvok, or other races/ideas from Enterprise or Voyager?
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2010, 07:02 PM   #27
Magnum
Lieutenant

I voted for every series except for Enterprise, as well as for Captain Sulu! I'm particularly anxious to see the latter, and DS9.
Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2010, 12:08 AM   #28
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to do Titan comics? Would they be able to include Tuvok, or other races/ideas from Enterprise or Voyager?
Tuvok appeared in the TNG Myriad Universes comic, so I doubt it would be that much of a problem.
Old March 31 2010, 12:43 AM   #29
elaithin
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to elaithin

Given that all the characters are owned by CBS, I don't see how it could be a problem in any way.
Old March 31 2010, 12:57 AM   #30
Christopher
Writer

^Yes, the characters are owned by CBS, but IDW is a separate company, and they have to pay for the rights to each series they want to adapt as a comic. And the various Trek series are licensed separately. IDW initially had only the TOS and TNG licenses and has recently obtained the DS9 license. So those are the ones they can do, because those are the ones they've paid for permission to do.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote