Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old March 25 2010, 10:49 AM   #136
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

I don't think Khan was that great a villain, nor was WOK THAT good a movie. It was okay, but not great.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 11:34 AM   #137
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Luther Sloan wrote: View Post
DE:

In fairness, the Episode IV: A New Hope bit was added for the 1981 re-release.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 03:11 PM   #138
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

Deckerd wrote: View Post
It's just a TV show.
(Smacks)

Shut up, commie! :s cream:
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 05:12 PM   #139
Luther Sloan
Captain

Shazam! wrote: View Post
In fairness, the Episode IV: A New Hope bit was added for the 1981 re-release.
Shazam:

Yes this is true.

In fact, George Lucas originally wrote a movie storyline that was intended to be just one movie (Which was released in 1977). However, once he began writing the screenplay for the movie, it got to be too long, so he decided to break it into multiple films (3, representing the original 3 Star Wars movies). He completed the screenplay for just the first, and completed the film. However, in the meantime he had to develop a story line to explain the history of the characters in the movie. It wasn't really his intent to make movies out of the backstory, but it provided a history of the fictional worlds that he had created to explain how the circumstances in the story came to be. After the success of the first film, Lucas considered converting his backstory into more films. So after a short period of four years, he established the original Star Wars as the fourth chapter in 1981 and eventually produced the three prequel films many years later.

So was it Lucas's original intent from the beginning to create a prequel series? No.

However, was their enough pre-established back story information to do a prequel series? Yes.

Did it seem natural within the story that there might have been some prequel story or story lines to tell? Yes.

Was the re-wording of the 1st Star Wars (in the opening crawl) as the 4th chapter established early enough (as if it was supposed to be there)? Yes. I believe four years is a short enough time to establish new rules for a fictional universe.

Although Lucas didn't intend to make the prequels from the very beginning. Things flowed together naturally enough (in the early years of Star Wars) as if the prequels were supposed to be a part of the saga, though.

I mean, if he decided putting chapter numbers into the original trilogy after it was totally completed... then it would have been a bit after the fact. However, seeing he established the numbering of the chapters close enough to Empire Strikes Back's release, it helped redefine or fine tune the original story early enough at the beginning of the Star Wars saga (as if it was originally supposed to be there).

I mean, the numbering of Star Wars was kind of like a work in progress, for me. At least that's my take on it, anyways.

In other words, it was by a lucky coincidence that he had the stones already set into place for a prequel series (even though it was not originally conceived of at the very beginning).

I mean, does it really matter if he thought of making a prequel series a few years later or at the very beginning?

For me, there is no difference and the result is still the same. Whether Lucas intended to create a prequel series or not; the stones were already laid out and it was quickly established for us to expect a possible prequel series some time in the future if things went well.

Last edited by Luther Sloan; March 25 2010 at 05:51 PM.
Luther Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 05:27 PM   #140
Penta
Commander

What seems to be a pretty unpopular opinion, or at least worthy of having threads derailed:

Trek is not popular because it is optimistic. Trek is popular when it is good TV (or film, or books, or whatever). The optimism is not essential to Trek. Trek is still Trek, even if it becomes wrist-slashingly pessimistic. Trek happened to be optimistic in 1966 on a limited yet important issue - this says nothing about anything else.

Less broadly:

1. Replicators are among the worst ideas of Trek, ever. They strangle storytelling.

2. Holodecks come very close, as do transporters that can do more than move you from point A to point B with any regularity; but neither induces wall-banging as quickly as the replicator.

3. Utopia bores me. If I could go back in time, I'd do my damnedest to try to convince the TNG writing staff how the whole "Federation as Utopia" and "moneyless economy" ideas of S1 are so bad for storytelling that, regardless of their source, they need to be ejected.

4. The original series may have been good TV for the 60s - however, it ages horribly. Similarly, TNG may have worked for the 80s - but it does not hold up well in 2010. (DS9 actually ages okay. Not perfectly, but okay. VOY really ages badly, and ENT is too new to really age.)

5. Trek may be good TV. However, it's given far too much credence as provoking anything else - whether that be in attitudes, or technology, or whatever.
Penta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 05:45 PM   #141
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

So was it Lucas's original intent from the beginning to create a prequel series? No.
Haven't you just disagreed with yourself here?

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea of jumping into a TV series mid-way through, but I can't see how it's in any way comparable with watching Star Wars IV before the prequels.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 05:57 PM   #142
Luther Sloan
Captain

Shazam:

I honestly don't know how to comment to that.
But hey, it's cool man. I am walking a fine line with my personal viewpoint on this matter, anyways.

I sometimes have very odd theories. As I am sure many other folks do, as well.

Peace brother.
Luther Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 06:13 PM   #143
baxart
Commander

TNG turned Klingons into leather-clad, stupid, drunken, headbangers. These morons belonged more in Twisted Sister videos (And I honestly expected Dee Snider to play a Klingon - he had the right build, hair and look), rather than commanding, much less trying to repair, starships.

TNG's & DS9's first two seasons are practically unwatchable.

The Ent D, inside and out, looks like a cruise ship.

Tasha Yar could have been an interesting character if she'd been written better.

Time Travel as a plot device in Trek is WAY overdone and should be banned for the next 20 years.

The next Trek TV series should be CGI, done by Pixar, with story direction by Allen Dean Foster.

Star Trek: Phase 2 should be officially acknowledged and fully sanctioned and funded by Paramount.

Paramount should support the fan base by having annual fan film contests with cash prizes.
baxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 06:48 PM   #144
Cmdr Sho
Lieutenant Commander

Location: in a VOID looking for the crew of the USS Eilerris with the captain and our other holograms

i have only one opinion,

1. wearing a starfleet uniform once a week.

this does not bode well with others here....
Old March 25 2010, 09:13 PM   #145
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
I love Star Trek: Generations
I see no problem here, so do I. In fact, the only annoying part of that movie was the pointless destruction of the Enterprise-D. Other than that, fine film.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 11:18 PM   #146
caisson2delta
Captain

Many great points and opinions, that I also hold, have been mentioned already.
some of the main ones:
1. I hated Tasha Yar, but thought Sela's character was wonderful.
2. I loved Enterprise and thought it was fantastic. I never thought the ship was to advanced tooking.
3. I think STIV was very overrated, probably the worst film of the franchise.
4. Riker was a tool.
caisson2delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 11:49 PM   #147
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

However, was their enough pre-established back story information to do a prequel series? Yes.
Does the prequel trilogy bear much resemblance to what most fans believed that pre-established back story (based on comics and novels and the Journal of the Whills and the original script and the radio plays) to be? No.

Should it have? Oh HELL yes.

"Anni, you're breaking my heart."

Damn you, George Lucas.
baxart wrote: View Post
Tasha Yar could have been an interesting character if she'd been written better.
Not to nitpick, but isn't this true of ANY uninteresting character?
baxart wrote: View Post
Time Travel as a plot device in Trek is WAY overdone and should be banned for the next 20 years.
But how would you even know if the ban worked? After all, if you're witnessing time travel right now, the person actually doing it may be from 25 years in the future, which is after your hypothetical ban.
caisson2delta wrote: View Post
4. Riker was a tool.
YES!
Old March 25 2010, 11:56 PM   #148
Lily_Teller
Cadet

Location: Currently in Oregon; originally from Fort. Lauderdale. I'm cold. Very, very cold.

I also liked Dr. Pulaski. Besides, Diana Muldaur was a good actress.
Lily_Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2010, 12:41 AM   #149
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I want to write a sequel to "Catspaw."
This one wins the thread!
Sure does!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2010, 12:51 AM   #150
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

29. Porthos should have had an episode where the entire crew depended on him for their very survival. Perhaps everyone gotten shrunken down in size and they had to use Porthos in order to get to a certain part of the ship to help save the day.
Sounds good to me!
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote