Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 24 2010, 07:17 AM   #256
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Star Ship Polaris

Vektor wrote: View Post
Albertese wrote: View Post
Cool. I'll have to see if I can get similar results in Photoshop, seeing as how I don't have Corel. I'm using a WACOM Intuos, which is pretty simple. What do you like about the Cintiq? Are there any fancy features that sets it apart?

--Alex
Well, the Cintiq is not just a pen tablet, it’s also a graphic display so you’re working directly on-screen. I haven’t used the Intuos but I have used the Bamboo series and they work well, but not having that disconnect between my hand and my eye makes all the difference to me.

Well, there you go! That's pretty nifty. I can't hardly "draw" with my pen and tablet. I generally sketch with a real pencil and usually ink it and then scan it to refine digitally. I can see how how having the image right there to draw on would make digital art that much easier. Hmm, I'll have to save my pennies though. At about $1,000 give or take, I think it'l have to stay on the wish-list for a while...

--Alex
Albertese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2010, 05:45 PM   #257
B.J.
Rear Admiral

The sketches above were done using the digital equivalents of a medium pencil and various shades of oil pastels. I used a light gray background rather than white just to reduce the contrast a little, then I completely shaded each ship with a 50% gray. From there, I used a 75% gray for the light areas and a 25% gray for the shadows (100% being white and 0% being black). Finally I created some highlights using pure white, which is nicely set off against the off-white background. The oil pastel brushes in Painter allow you to create some very nice blends between shades and are easy to work with.

These are rough shape studies with relatively little detail, but they are fast and easy to produce and do a good job of getting the concept across.
Cool sketches, and thanks for the technique description!
Related question - what would you do if you wanted to add some color to these, start over fresh with a different technique, use this as an overlay to a color layer, or what?
Old March 24 2010, 09:50 PM   #258
Vektor
Rear Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
Related question - what would you do if you wanted to add some color to these, start over fresh with a different technique, use this as an overlay to a color layer, or what?
Well, I'm still figuring these techniques out myself, but I imagine I would apply the color to a separate layer. Layers are great for keeping the various components separate and retaining the ability to adjust them relative to each other. Components include value (light and dark), color, outlines and highlights, among others. I only used two in the last set of sketches: value and outlines. Technically, I did some highlights with pure white but I combined them with the value layer. There are reasons, especially if you're using color, to do the highlights as a separate layer.
Old March 25 2010, 12:57 AM   #259
Patrin-Zero
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Myself, I'm patiently awaiting the technical manual to that fine vessel !
Patrin-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 03:10 AM   #260
judexavier
Commander

Patrin-Zero wrote: View Post
Myself, I'm patiently awaiting the technical manual to that fine vessel !
Or heck, the "Art of Polaris" coffee table book.
judexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2010, 07:12 PM   #261
Jeyl
Commodore

Well, as long as it doesn't make that annoying Jellyfish spinning noise from Trek09, I'll be perfectly ok with it. It looks great!
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2010, 08:55 PM   #262
publiusr
Commodore

It does look a bit like the Jellyfish predecessor. With its vertical make up--call it the Sunfish class, since it does resemble a sunfish.

OT, I seem to remember a story about a WWII tale who swore he saw an injured mate eaten by sunfish!
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 04:44 AM   #263
BK613
Captain

Great ship and great design but if it were me I'd leave the NCC-xxxx style hull numbers in the trekverse. Maybe do something like USAF tactical numbers, which is AF over the fiscal procurement year, with the last digits of the serial number to the right in a bigger font.
Example
Old April 1 2010, 03:43 PM   #264
Vektor
Rear Admiral

The registry number was just a random collection of characters I slapped on and is in no way final.
Old April 1 2010, 08:07 PM   #265
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

Getting down to the nitty-gritty detailing:

Click the image for an even larger version.

Barring any major revisions, I should be able to start with the serious 3D modeling work fairly soon.
Jason, that is just MARVELOUS "pen-and-digital ink" work there. Very nifty... I am green with envy for your drawing talents.
Old April 1 2010, 08:42 PM   #266
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

There you go.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2010, 08:47 PM   #267
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

BK613 wrote: View Post
Great ship and great design but if it were me I'd leave the NCC-xxxx style hull numbers in the trekverse. Maybe do something like USAF tactical numbers, which is AF over the fiscal procurement year, with the last digits of the serial number to the right in a bigger font.
Example
Orly? Learned something new today... interesting.
Old April 8 2010, 05:15 PM   #268
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Excellent!

Now progressing to the 3D stage:

These are, of course, preliminary, with lots of parts and pieces yet to be added and lots of detailing to be done. Much of it is still subject to change but I felt it was time to move beyond the concept sketches, especially since Dennis and his team are starting to look at 3D assets for the effects work.

More to come.
Old September 19 2010, 03:18 AM   #269
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Just when you think ol' Vektor has given up the 3D game for good, you find out I'm just full of surprises!

Expect to see more of these coming pretty fast and frequent.
Old September 19 2010, 04:46 AM   #270
ghoyle1
Lieutenant

I really love it! That's bold and dynamic. I love the vertical alignment, assuming that's how the ship is actually oriented. If not, pardon my ignorance! ;-)

Guy
ghoyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote